new song lookin for more advice..

gbav

hi i was hoping some people could check out a song i recently did , you've guys been incredible with your advice so far....(my post count may be low but i think ive been lurkin here for quite awhile, everyday i know that)

its a bit softer than the stuff the band im in usually does , i kinda like the change in direction..... even though im pretty sure style wise it wont be an "everyone" kinda thing...

the link is
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1313&alid=-1

the song is Unfortunate Enough

anything you guys can help me out with or any advice would be great , im still a newbie so im sure im still making tons of mistakes mixing and recording and what not....only one way to learn though...

thanks in advance
gary

The song and music kicked ass. I didn't care for the Marilyn Manson vocals... but they were recorded well... I just don't have a taste for that type of vocal. Excellent job on the rhythm tracks. I also liked the interplay between ambient clean guitar and crunch guitar. What kind of axe, amp, and settings?

thank you very much for your comments JR#97

yeah the vocalist in my opinion is a love em or hate em type....

its like a cheap model gibson les paul special ....i like it i think i payed 500 bucks for it....its the 2002 model i belive cause i recently purchased it...so im assuming but i dont know tell ya the truth...

the guitar sounds are a boss gt6 direct...there patches i just made from scratch on it ..i just recently started messin around with micin amps , and so far i suck at it heh....

thank you again for the nice comments ...if you ever have something up here to review let me know , ill try my best to say something worth saying , im kinda new i dont know if i got the ears to say anything meaningful....

later
gary

I liked this. It's not really the kind of stuff I usually listen to, but the intro got my attention with the cool weird noises. I also like the distorted drum/rhythm/loop thing.

The vocals are fine in the main, but the first minute or so should be re-tracked - the pitching is a bit off, and it is distracting. Most of the vocals later on are much better.

I really like the backgroud vocals too - cool sound.

Hmm. I should listen to more scary music. ;)

Good stuff

AB

man i can get into music like this......its harder or darker or whtever but not at the expense of still being melodic...very cool..the vox are a little bit m.m.....but so what......really cool litle keyboard shit in here.....what the hell does the band you play in sound like if this is softer.....?????....lol...man around 3:10 or so..that falling note part sounds great....

..cool tune
jamal

thanks alot of for your comments jamal and albish...

jamal , i dont know if harder was the right word , i should of said "brighter" , we started off kinda dark but not this dark heh..

alibish i deff agree on the re trackin the vocals at the begining , you know i must of listened to it 1000 times while workin on it , and never even thought about doing the vox over , i think i probably just got used to hearing it...dont quite have those golden ears yet

thanks again guys ,

gary

Excellent job on the recording. I tend to agree that the vocal's a bit off through the first 1/4 of the song, and I'd add that the last :20 seconds of vocal could maybe use a little work too.

Obviously, you're not going for aria-like pitch perfection here, but I think it would help the song.

cool,
-nobody

I hope you take this as a compliment, but it sounded like a demented nightmare. It sounded cool. These guys say the vocal is out of tune, I say leave it that way, it adds to the dramatic effect of the song. I think these guys are simply responding to a tension the vocals set up in there ears. They want it fixed cuz it caused musical tension.....Id say leave it the way it is it sounds cool for it's genre, although It's not what i would play first thing in the morning to start my bright new day of accomplishments with.
I like something a litle more rosie like early Rainbow!!

Anyways, it sounds great, I wouldnt change much.

crap...there was something I was gonna' ask you...

I'll remember it later, I'm sure.

sorry for the interruption.

great groove... I like the ambient industrial type guitar stuff. Stands out just the right amount in front of the drums. Now, I wish I could say that I was the one to break the streak here but, like everyone else, the vox are a little out of my taste range. I can't help but wonder why the dude doesn't just sing for chrissakes! Don't let that get to you, though. I'm sure there are lots o folks looking for that exact voice. They just don't tend to be recording engineers (or engineers in training, :D).

stone

stonepiano lol
ah i dont let it get to me , i do the music i let him (the singer) worry about all that... to be honest i like them but its not my fave style either , but i mean it fits the genre...i was mostly worried about the mix...

thank you for your comments though
i appreciate them
later
gary

Back