New song I wrote after an agrument - "Got 2 Be True 2 Me"

lynx

New song I wrote after an argument - "Got 2 Be True 2 Me"

This is a new song. I wrote it after I got into a heated argument with one of my old friends, something about life, love, money and lust I think....anyways...

I originally scrapped this mix as I'm trying to complete an acoustic "album" and I'm going to include this song in it with a new acoustic version. My main problem with this mix is I could never get the bass the sit properly at all, so I ended up panning it which is better but still not great to my ears. Any feedback on improving this version would be cool.

Song is "Got 2 Be True 2 Me"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3040&alid=-1

Last edited:
Nice tune - sounds pretty darned commercially acceptable musically speaking. I hear some really nice influences.

Mix-wise - the panned bass doesn't work for me. Since low freqs permeate an entire room when played live, you're limiting the sonic space we're accustomed to hearing and it makes it sound out of place. You have a lot of low-mid stuff in the middle where the bass belongs. (There's piano in there, some strings or synth.) Try moving them out - a lot of the tune sounds almost mono to me. At 2:34 where you start panning the other stuff out to the left and right sides the bass fits really nicely smack dab in the middle. It's nice and punchy, too (I'm doing a headphone listen)

There's some noise (hum) present right at the beginning - I'm sure it goes on throughout. I like the drums but they're a little on the high-eq side for my tastes - just my opinion. I think you have all the pieces - they just need to be moved around the chessboard a bit. So there's my two cents - I'm surprised nobody else jumped on this yet - it's a very cool piece of music!!

The bump should help.
Milan

There's like a young lion yowling ;-)

Nice keys, blending well with the acoustic.

Your vocal is really working well now, there is tremendous improvement here.

I'm hearing the bass stranded in left field, bring it closer to center, or start it out there, and move it to center, and as you do that, you literally move the listener to center also, focusing the listener.

Now the horns coming in on the right, that's nice, a little loud considering the quality of the sample, I say ... always use what you've got, what's good gets the light in the mix. To paint an IDEA is fine, but when you finally mix, if it's not super quality, bring it down lower than you might want it. To soft is always preferable over to loud ... except when addressing the vocal in a mix. IMHO.

Your vocal is still mixed ... down in the mix, it's embedded in the mix. You can EQ your vocal out of the mix after your run everything to one bus and compress everything except the vocal. Then the vocal can jump up out of the mix more dynamically.

At 1:59, this is the PERFECT level for the vocal throughout ! From 1:59 to 2:12. That's your target, retrack if necessary, this song is WORTH IT. ... I like.

Now the keys are WAY to loud here, stomping on your excellent vocal.

MAN, I cannot tell how much your skills ... all the way round ... have improved hugely.

Tack a chorus or vocal outro hooking with backup harmonies over this outro and you have a very, very nice piece of music. And that ends the first listening.

Spinning again.

Ahhhh, I think there is a sidestick mixed with the snare ? The sidestick can be heard over the roar of a stadium crowd. The sonic qualities of sidestick can be extremely dominant and for those who would want to listen to this at high volume, it would be an uncomfortable sound. And maybe the anger expects this ...

You meters will not accurately display the peak on the sidestick, they are not designed to show those type of peaks. Unless you have got some really, really, really nice and expensive meters and even then you'd have to tweak them to show the true peaks of a sidestick.

With fresh ears, come back to the sidestick, what is your intention with this instrument ? The sidestick can be a very effective tool, but must always be used carefully, and crafted, it's an extremely strong instrument, like cavemen banging on a small log with a stone ya know :D .

You might EQ some of the bite out of the sidestick, or just use it less sparingly all together.

This has a John Cougar feel, slightly Americana :-) , I hope other reviewers will make some artist comparisons, although I really think you are creeping up on a 'unique' style that is yours.

I really like these keys, and the mix level is perfect there in the beginning.

Yes, the vocal should just come up a bit please, don't err on the soft side.

I understand the words much better now, (second listen), but I still feel challenged as though I have to 'work hard' to understand the words ... and of course this is the second listen.

At 00:49, I am convinced the bass is 'stranded' out in left field, and this is distracting to the continuity of this piece.

As MC Guitarz says, this is not working. Take all the highs and mids out of the bass, add lots of reverb and work it closer to center.

When the vocal comes back in at 1:11, drop the horn BEFORE the vocal starts, expose that vocal as it enters, that is very important, if necessary, retrack that entrance more aggressively or draw the fade envelope on the horns much more aggressively. You cannot ever step on a vocal entrance, people re-listen and their attention is 'drawn again' to the song when the vocal comes in, if they can't understand those first few words, if you don't hook them, they tune you out.

Back off on the reverb by about 20% , and put an 18milisecond delay on your vocal and use that delay very sparingly. Do not use 'pre-delay' on your vocal. A little delay will make a little reverb go much, much further and it reduces the mud or sibilance reverb introduces, especially software reverb.

Often, we find ourselves adding more and more reverb, reaching for some sound quality we really don't know how to describe, maybe we really don't know what we want, all we know is adding reverb seems to get us closer. Refer to Groucho's recent posts searching with keyword - reverb - :D !

Third listen, (can't wait to jam on the cello with this, especially the outro)

Now I'm thinking the stick is appropriate, and it does come down significantly after the first few bars, and you bring it down again as the vocal comes in. You are crafting here and that is good. But my second listen impression says bring the stick down a bit IMHO.

I would like to hear some 'spagetti western' type electric guitar fill after 'bandit in a western'. IMHO . Like a strat mid-position pickup sound with lots of delay.

At 00:40, the instruments are too loud, they are all 'up around' your vocal. I think what you might be trying to accomplish here, is to bring up the level of the entire song, and that is a compression technique which ALL of us on the board can benifit greatly from understanding better all the time.

At 1:02, something percussive sounding happened ... kick the reverb tank ?

I love the change at 1:27, it's great.

EMOTIONS FUEL THIS is an understated and tasteful way :-) , it's focused dissappointment at it's best with little judgment, and a touch of sarcasm, just what I'm in the mood to listen to :D .

The weakest part is the horn samples, PLEASE find a collab to get real horns if at all possible, or dig deep to find some ;-) better samples or soundfonts .

Wow, I just really love to see such improvement from a board member.

Generally you are still hiding your voice somewhat. And I'm beginning to think you are just a softspoken fella, and I think you are doing a great job moving towards finding the proper mix for your voice.

After 2:29 as this softer section ends, which is really topnotch ... that sidestick is really going to blast the listener.
I agree there should be an abrupt change here, that is very effective mixing and songwriting, but look at EQ'ing that snare or stick on the top end ? IMHO.

Cool tune, very, very cool and it's you, I mean it's 'YOU'. Now just get that vocal mixed a bit higher, maybe just 1db, so we can understand 'YOU' better.

Great performance, great improvement ... totally cool.

Thanks for sharing and participating in the board.

the crash/ride sound a little low fi, are they some mp3 samples you downloaded online? The vocals could be a little more up front with some compression IMO. I dig the rawness of the accoustic guitar, I think it fits your pissed-off mood real well; but it does get masked when other instruments are playing tho.

Al

Hey Lynx -- I always dig your stuff. This one has a great feel to it, and I think if you do go an "all acoustic" route, it is going to sound great.

As a fast song, I do like it, but the mix sounds a bit strange to me. Maybe it is that bass...The vocal sounds like it may come up just a tad, and I like the patterns of the drums, but not the sound themselves -- imho --

As far as songwriting goes, I love the progression you have on this, especially those chords that kind of walk down the scale -- very Beatley and I like that. You have a nice arrangement and I dig your vocals, especially the harmony on there.

I like this, but look forward to hearing what kind of arrangement you put on the acoustic version as well.

Overall, a great song and well done, maybe just needs a bit of tweaking!

:D

F****!!

I had a huge reply done but started to comment on other songs, ran into the 60 second posting rule and lost the post. I'll have to paraphrase it....

boydrj - Thx a lot man, the acoustic "album" is my #1 goal now. Going out to buy Sonar 3 and some new gear, learned a lot about mixing so there should be better mixes coming soon.

A1A2 - Thx for listening. I have noticed the crash as well. The cover band I'm in have told me they want to give this song a go, should be much better with a full band.

studioviols - Thx for picking up on the sarcastic tones, it's exactly what I was going for, would love to hear a cello on the outro it's EXACTLY the sound I was going for. Real horns are of course the end-all, would love to collab with someone who plays horns.

MC Gitarz - I hear ya on the mix. I think I will try to pan out other things and bring the bass back in the middle. I like the song and would like to do it justice. Thx for commenting.

Awesome tune man......

Vocals are outstanding albeit level issues exist.....
is there an effect or did you duble and delay?
Harmony is spot on....piano is great....awesome sound but could be just a bit warmer....
bass is timid but performance wise it is awesome...
I like the wood block but it is a little too high volume wise..

drums....well I suck at drums....snare sounds to sharp...cymbals are tinny too....I barely hear the kick or toms at all....

Guitar tones are very cool.....compressed?
horns are nice man ....are they synth samples?

I like this tune a lot man....it is a saver.
Take it easy,
Joe

Hi there

I just wanted to say I listened and that I really enjoyed this song Lynx. I like the "i kinda like that" part and the piano part a lot. Nice vocal and harmonies. Erland

The piano on I Want To Learn is great. This is a good song.

joro - Thx man for the great comments. The horns are a Roland synth patch, I'm always open to putting down new sounds. You're right, the drums are kinda bright, i hate drum machines with a passion but you can only do so much I suppose.

Erland - Thx a lot for listening, hopefully my mixes will get better with time. Actually, I would like to do something acoustic now and would like it to have a "feel" like your songs, very easy on the ears. If I can get to that level I'll be happy.

Nice tune. Love the energy in the drums. Great vox. Interesting harmonies. Wow, there's a lot going on here. That's so damn cool. I might EQ a couple of things, like the drums, to make it a tad less bright. Bass could come up a bit, but I'm nit-picking.

Love your piano.

This song kicks ass, man. I love all the changes. That's something I need to work on. THis goes so many places, and they're all good.

Sweet.

Piltdown Man

Good song, you do a great job trancending the limitations of your gear.

Drums are the weak link here but still very listenable.

Thx PiltdownMan, glad you enjoyed it. I love to mix piano with an acoustic guitar. You're right, the drums are a bit bright, I'll be trying to fix it when I get a chance. As others have suggested I think I'll move the bass to the front and play with the panning, this may help with the level.

jake-owa - Thx for listening, I agree I'm not real happy with the intensity of the drums, I think it will be better live.

with the guitar, piano and vocal being the drivers, I'd bring the organ down a bit, piano down some on the bass end (lots of ambience there) just a tad, and let the guitar come through for the smoothness with a bit of the highs off the guitar. The drum track could be fine if you drop the level on the cymbals especially (maybe take a bit of high mid out of them too), and the snare some. The piano panned out a bit left, and the guitar opposite would let you set the bass in the mid more. The vocal needs just a bit of upper mid.

Hey Toki,

I thought I buried the organ pretty well here as I tend to increase it since I'm a sucker for organs.....whoa that didn't sound right....

Here ya on the cymbals and I like you panning idea, I have a few things to try here. Thanks.

Trying to find ideas on the bass...

First, it doesn't sit all that poorly for the most part. It does its own little thing around 2:30 or so and sounds real good there. So I think it's overall a good bass sound. It seemed pretty consistent, so I don't think (further) compression is the answer.

I think in spots it gets covered by the vocals - there is a quite a bit of low end to those vox. Assuming you haven't rolled off the lows on them, I think that might help. To a lesser extent, there are spots where the piano is covering the bass too.

You could probably get away a gentle boost on the bass around 800-1000.

I liked the song and that is always what I listen to first time through. A nice feel.

I think others have covered a lot of mix issues but I have not read them all so I will quickly hit the major things I heard:

1) Hiss I assume from the drums. Are you using a drum machine (no midi)? Check your cords and your tracking level. If no machine, then mute your other tracks during the drum only parts. Really liked the drum part. Maybe better samples.

2) Lot of low to low mid stuff. Roll some lows off the vocals and maybe the acoustic too. The vocals are very nice they just need a little more high end for the listerner to grab on to.

3) Bass seems to be pretty well compressed during that 2:35 and on part so I am not sure that is the problem. I would cut out the super lows and play around with some EQ cuts and boosts. You might also play with the release time on your compression. Or if you could retrack you might take some of the gain off in the tracking. Just a thought.

I think you have very nice toon here. Sorry for the rant. Would love to hear a remix.

after the first bar, I thought this song had a lot of potential, but it went south from there.

Still deserves a C minus though.

good singer and instrumentation.

3M: Thx for listening man. I think I'll try to move the instruments around in the mix and play with the levels, then see how the bass sits. I will try to get rid of some of the low end on th vox.

skids - Yeah the hiss on the drums is definitely there, I'm either going to retrack or get live drums (live being the preference of course). Hear on the vox, will increase some high-end. Thx for the comments on the tune quality, appreciate it.

CyanJaguar - Thx for listening.

Back