New Song - Happiness

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Homo Deprecatus - Happiness This is the only love song I've ever written that's neither a metaphor nor entirely fictional. It's also fairly incomprehensible. Good times!

My big concern with this song mixing wise is how the drums sound. I use samples, and have been told that my snare sounds like a paper bag. So I re-sampled it. How does it sound now.

(The link takes you to the tab/lyrics page of the song. Click on the title of the song to listen (right click -> "save as..." to download))

Last edited:
Drums are a little loud, the bridge section level was good though. They aren't my favorite sounding samples, but they are not live drums so you have to allow for that. Nice doubling/harmonies on the vocals. The chorus after the bridge was cool - I wondered how that might sound for each iteration of the chorus. "I felt such joy despite the volcanic shower" - my favorite line...:cool:

Sounds nice...I like the chorus alot.

Can't say I'm a fan of the snare sound in particular. I like the vocal harmonies as well. The lyrics are great. Why does this remind me of Of Montreal? I like Of Montreal a lot. Has a cool low-fi vibe to it in all. I'm not a fan of chorus on bass, but that's just me. I would listen to this again...I've listened to it twice already:D

I love this. It sounds like a lost John Lennon tune. And I don't mean it sounds un-original. Just has that beautiful vibe. For this particular tune, I think the drums are great. You might want to change up the hi-hat pattern when the chorus comes in, so that it plays straight 8th notes, instead of the "and's" all the way through, if you know what I mean. But that's really nit-picking. Awesome melody and mood in this.

......and in the spirit of John Lennon, when you write (or type) out the title of this, it should be "A Penis". :D

Just like it should have been "A Penis is a Warm Gun....".

Yes it is.

:D

I like the drums, they're not pretending to be anything they're not.

I also very much like the vocal delivery. I'd like to hear a little more vocal - maybe some stronger compression might sound nice.

Some other instrument - something with some different timbre - needs to get busy during the chorus.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

In my next couple songs, I'll be experimenting with some different snare tones; we'll see if those sound better.

Back