Thread: New Song - Happiness

Thanks

New Song - Happiness

Sign in to disable this ad
    Homo Deprecatus - Happiness This is the only love song I've ever written that's neither a metaphor nor entirely fictional. It's also fairly incomprehensible. Good times!

My big concern with this song mixing wise is how the drums sound. I use samples, and have been told that my snare sounds like a paper bag. So I re-sampled it. How does it sound now.

(The link takes you to the tab/lyrics page of the song. Click on the title of the song to listen (right click -> "save as..." to download))
    Last edited by VomitHatSteve; 07-13-2008 at 20:14. Reason: I forgot the download instructions.

Thanks
    Drums are a little loud, the bridge section level was good though. They aren't my favorite sounding samples, but they are not live drums so you have to allow for that. Nice doubling/harmonies on the vocals. The chorus after the bridge was cool - I wondered how that might sound for each iteration of the chorus. "I felt such joy despite the volcanic shower" - my favorite line...

Thanks
    Sounds nice...I like the chorus alot.

Can't say I'm a fan of the snare sound in particular. I like the vocal harmonies as well. The lyrics are great. Why does this remind me of Of Montreal? I like Of Montreal a lot. Has a cool low-fi vibe to it in all. I'm not a fan of chorus on bass, but that's just me. I would listen to this again...I've listened to it twice already

RAMI Guest
    I love this. It sounds like a lost John Lennon tune. And I don't mean it sounds un-original. Just has that beautiful vibe. For this particular tune, I think the drums are great. You might want to change up the hi-hat pattern when the chorus comes in, so that it plays straight 8th notes, instead of the "and's" all the way through, if you know what I mean. But that's really nit-picking. Awesome melody and mood in this.

RAMI Guest
    ......and in the spirit of John Lennon, when you write (or type) out the title of this, it should be "A Penis".

Just like it should have been "A Penis is a Warm Gun....".

Yes it is.

Thanks
    I like the drums, they're not pretending to be anything they're not.

I also very much like the vocal delivery. I'd like to hear a little more vocal - maybe some stronger compression might sound nice.

Some other instrument - something with some different timbre - needs to get busy during the chorus.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input, everybody.

In my next couple songs, I'll be experimenting with some different snare tones; we'll see if those sound better.

Thread Information