New song - comments welcome.

Don't know the tune, so you're off the hook there :D

Nice acoustic sound....what mic?

This is a pretty nice mix man. I like that reverse reverb- subtle enough, not excessive IMO. Actually, it may be a touch overused, but the effect itself, is not overbearing.

I'm not sure that synth works, but that's subjective. Very nice tune....actually very very nice. Just a couple production things that are strictly preference. Great song!

wow

Dude thats an awsome tune. I really love the acoustic guitar it sounds great!

I`m downloading to have a better listen, theres loads going on with the vocals, solo, outro...

How did you record this. Could you tell me some of your set up?

Nice one mate

Erland

:)

im new to recording so ill comment as a listener.
i think this is the best tune i have heard on this site so far.
it really takes me back(but at the same time also sounds modern)the vocal should be sung a tad louder.(im not saying to turn it up in the mix,im saying you should belt it out.you have a very nice voice ,but it gets covered up here and there)
i really felt that the electric guitar (solo)took away the simplicity of the song,and that (the simplicity)is what i liked the most about it.
i would love to hear an acoustic guitar doing something in that section,sorta like the way croce used to put in those nice melodic things that were not real busy.
all in all i enjoyed it and will be down loading for future listening.
keep up the good work.

those backing vocals sound cool....what kind of effect are you using to get that sound? it's a good song........the acoustic is very well played.........the electric guit kind of threw my off, as it was just there and then gone......i'd think about retracking that part with acoustic and maybe layering a harmony, but it's just a subjective taste comment, not a vital mix comment..........good work

Man,... what's up with all these Scottish guys making such good music?? :p ;)

I liked this one "ok". Production-wise, the mix was good.. that reverse reverb was a nice touch, and the acoustics were pretty clear... I wasn't too hip on the song itself, but that's just personal preference... That other song you have, though, ("Not the Only One") just plain rocks... :p (sorry to change the subject..) I may have already commented on that one, because I know I've heard it before, but I figured I'd say it again,... that's a great song. (both the mix and the song itself.)

WATYF

Really cool effect you are using on the b.g. vocals. That kind of is a hook for me. It really brings you "into" the song. Good choice/arranging.

I like the guitar sound.

In my head I hear some kind of percussive instrument going on, and maybe full blown drums during the solo ... I guess this is just preference, but that is what I hear... :)

Nice song. I think the writing is very good!

very nice. i loved the bg vocals and the reverb effect on them.
maybe add some electric guitar licks sporadically throughout to build up to the solo. some more accordian, too.

Dang alibish......You did a great job on the acoustic guitars and vocals in this one.Top notch dude.;)

Wow. Thank you all for responding so quickly, and saying such nice things.

SLuiCe - Glad you like the acoustic sound. It's a Superlux CM-H8A condenser mic.

I agree about the overuse of the reverse reverb. I swithered before putting up this version, but now I'm sure - I'll take some of it out.

Erland - thanks so much. I absolutely love your stuff, so it's a real compliment that you like this.

Here's my set up:

SONAR 2
Ultrafunk Sonitus Plugins
Izotope Ozone Plugin
Synapse Audio Orion Platinum (for the weird organ sound)

Superlux CM-H8A condenser mic
Behringer Eurorack MX 1604A mixer
Line 6 POD
Sennheiser HD200 headphones

Fender American Standard Strat
Jim Moon custom acoustic (PS If there are any guitar folk who want boring details about wood choices, pickups, etc. please let me know - I'm just dying to brag about my lovely acoustic. Sad, I know ;) )

Sheppard - thank you for your very kind comments. I'm particularly glad you think it's got a mixture of old and new - that's kind of what I was aiming for.

I have no confidence at all in my singing, so I find it very difficult to belt it out. In fact, my OB Tune (Autotune on a budget) plugin isn't working so I couldn't "cheat" on this one - in order to get anything remotely resembling an OK vocal track I had to do a *lot* of takes, and comp together several different bits and pieces.

I know what you mean about the solo. I wondered whether I should do it on the acoustic, but I ended up really liking the octave-doubled sound on my strat/POD. Mind you, my wife's immediate reaction to the solo was "cheesy" so maybe I'll re-do it on acoustic...

By the way, what is "croce"?

Powderfinger - the backing vocals have reverse reverb on them. Basically you do the following:

Record the vocal
Make a copy
Reverse the copy
Apply a nice long reverb to the reversed copy, with 100% wet and 0% dry (i.e. just the reverb)
Re-reverse the processed clip.

You can then mix the original and reverse-reverb versions to get the right balance. It sounds pretty cool, but it's too easy to overuse (see above!)

I think you're probably right about the solo. I just don't want to get rid of that nice crunchy sound. :(

WATYF - thanks for the comments. Sorry this one didn't light your fire, but I'm glad you liked "Not The Only One".

Boydrj - I'm always struggling to find something a wee bit unusual to act as a "hook", as you say. Glad you liked the reverse reverb.

I'd love to have some percussion (shaker, tambourine, whatever) and originally I had a full drum track. But my drum programming skills are non-existent and it sounded much better without. :(

If there are any talented percussionists out there who would like to collaborate, please let me know. Erichenryus did drums on my previous song, and improved it beyond all recognition.

JR#97 - thank you. That's a really good idea re the electric guitar - maybe that way it won't "jump out" so much when the solo comes in.

Kramer - nice to hear from you again, and thanks for the comments.

Very nice song, alibish. Sounds very 60's to me. Acoustics sound great, the reverse thing is cool, (though I agree to use it a bit less), the overall atmosphere of the song is great. Didn't really go for the guitar solo, it does seem to come out of nowhere, and didn't seem to fit the mood to me. Maybe something else for the solo, an acoustic solo, or some other sound, or maybe a delay or something on the electric to make it fit the atmoshere more. I don't know, just some thoughts.

Great job!

Macle

Nice Job!

The mix is fairly clear and the singing is great!

Most of what I could add has already been said
Give a thought to adding some percussion. This tune moves quick enough where it may fit nicely!

Really nice!

Joel

WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

AL - I knew if you ever got around to gracing this board with another tune, it would be great. It is.

I'll have more substantive something in a bit, but the kiddo needs the 'puter right now.

Just wanted to say that I'm glad you 've continued to hang around here....really cool stuff.

Bye for now.
Chris

alibish said:

I'd love to have some percussion (shaker, tambourine, whatever) and originally I had a full drum track. But my drum programming skills are non-existent and it sounded much better without. :(

If there are any talented percussionists out there who would like to collaborate, please let me know. Erichenryus did drums on my previous song, and improved it beyond all recognition.

Alibish, all you gotta do is ask my friend! If I have some time this week, I'll give it a shot.

I like this song. Nice hook in the chorus. I love the sound of that acoustic guitar! Sounds perfect. there's a nice stereo effect to it also. Are you recording it twice and panning?

Macle - thanks very much, it means a lot to me. I think I'm going to re-record the solo on the acoustic, and see how that sounds.

jcmm - thanks, particularly re the singing. I need all the confidence boosting I can get! ;)

And I totally agree about the need for percussion. Fortunately, it looks like we have a volunteer...

erichenryus - great to hear from you. I'd be very grateful for anything you could do. In my head I'm hearing a gradual build up of percussion, startnig with shakers halfway through the first verse and eventually having something fuller during the solo, then back to nothing at all on the outro verse. Or maybe a big gong/cymbal swell at the end a la Bohemian Rhapsody. :)

It's 120 bpm, and there are four bars of weird organ before the acoustic starts.

chris - good to hear from you again. And you've been very busy; you're putting me to shame. This "real life" thing keeps getting in the way of my music making. :(

I hope you still like the tune on repeated listening. I'm lucky that my daughter is far too young to use the computer, unless you count hammering the keyboard and dribbling as "using". Come to think of it, that's pretty much how *I* use it too...

Cheers

AB

PS Eric - yes, the acoustic is doubled and hard-panned. In fact, because my timing is so abysmal, it took about 40 takes to find two that I could actually use.

And there were probably 40 or 50 separate vocal takes, to achieve the less than stellar results you can hear ;) I ended up comping together individual phrases from many separate takes, and manually editing out lip-smacking, etc. It's the most work I've ever put in to a vocal!

The solo is also doubled, played an octave apart. My electric playing is better than my acoustic (read: easier) so they're both first takes.

And the bass is largely a single take, after 4 or 5 abortive attempts to work out something that fit. There are a couple of drop-ins to sort out some really obvious fluffs.

New version

Apologies for the self-bump.

I've posted a new version at the same location:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1715&alid=-1

I've turned the guitars down a bit, mucked about with EQ on them, changed the vocal reverb a bit, and removed the reverse reverb on the main chorus sections. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Finally, I couldn't bring myself to lose the solo, so I recorded it again on acoustic. Now there are four guitars (2 electric, octave apart, 2 acoustic, octave apart) playing the solo, spread out across the stereo spectrum. Please tell me I can keep it... ;)

Cheers

AB

i like this version better. the acoustic solo is much better sounding than the first.
btw "croce" is jim croce and if you never heard his music you have really been missing out.
you can keep it.

I liked the reverse reverb! Get it back! The solo is much better now. It just sits better for some reason. nice job.

Wow,this is a really sweet tune!

Everything was great,vocals,guitars writing,singing,just great.
The only thing I didn't care for was the solo sound at 2
;34,it's such a sweet clear song,should have been strings or acoustic.IMHO:)

What really did it for me was your accent,makes the tune.

Reminds me of early Stones and The Moody Blues,with a little Kinks thrown in there,just for flavor.:D

Very nice,thanks.

Pete

Back