New song - comments please?

bigmahon

Still learning
Hi everyone,

I used to be a regular on this forum, but have been away for a very long time. Was hoping to get some feedback on my first recording in well over a year. Much obliged in advance.

Chris

Love You More

Wow, a total shutout. :(

Please can I have some critique of this recording / song? I would really like to nail this one.

Cheers,

Chris

I'll take a listen: really tight, listening to it on headphones. Distinct instrument seperation, makes me really jealous that I can't get that with my current WIP (which I also have on the clinic here).

Songwriting and playing is solid.

I recall trying to get in and have a listen a while ago.

I have big problems with Soundclick. For reasons unknown to me, I can only get to about a song in ten . . . most of the time I'm greeted with blankness.

Hi Seafroggys, thanks for the listen, and for your comments. Much appreciated! :)

Hey gecko, sorry to hear you have Soundclick troubles. The track can also be found here:

Chris Mahon @ MySpace

Thanks again guys. :cool:

Chris

Okay . . . I found it in Myspace ok.

My quick thoughts are:

All the essential ingredients for a great track are there. I like the treatment (in particular the vocal work, which is quite unusual), and the broad music ideas underpinning the track.

While those ingredients are there, the mix is a bit awkward, and there are some things you might like to consider. For example, the stereo picture seems a bit arbitrary, and I'd be interested to hear what it would sound like if you brought things closer together. Have the lead vocal go down the middle, and put the extra voices around it.

Similarly, the various guitar tracks could come closer, and not be so left ear-right ear apart.

There is a slight 'grittiness' about the track (but that could be my speakers) that you might look at.

But other than that, it's fine work.

Great song, man, really interesting style. :)
Agree with Gecko that the mix sounds a bit unconventional. I feel the vocals sliding from side to side and the one guitar on the left is really dominant. Takes some getting used to and it's not necessarily bad.There is a sort of harshness to the sound overall which could make it a bit tough on the ears . Love the harmonies and the vocals. Drums sound a bit low to me, but I think that's more down to my taste. Overall niice job and great music.

Cheers
Joe :):)

More drums, better balance to the guitars.
Good song & a unique mix - just some tweaking & balancing to do.

Really like this one!

Love the spaciousness of the vocals, but as cool as they are, might they possibly be a bit too much in front of the band? I dunno, just a thought. Really cool and original recording. :D

I listened on headphones when I heard this, so the stereo field was exaggerated, but I liked the panning you did.

Hi gang, thanks for the many great comments! :)

gekko, not sure why I spread the mix so wide. Just sounded good to my ears when I did it. I'll definitely mess around a bit more though, and try a few more "snug" mixes. ;)

joeym, thanks for the kind words bro. I hear what you're saying with the drums in the mix. I think I'll try a bit of compression on the drum track and see if I can get them to stand up to the mix a bit better.

rayc, good to hear from you bro. Thanks for the comments.

heatmiser, hey! Vox too far out front? Maybe so. I thought they were the best part of the track, so didn't want to bury them. Perhaps I got carried away! :D

And Seafroggys, thanks for checking back!

Solid feedback folks. Much obliged.

Chris

i rly like this song. the only complaint i have w/ it is that it does sound a bit spaced out for the style. i think it would be even better if it had a more intimate feel to it and everything was brought in a bit closer. maybe try taking out some of the reverb. from hearing your voice and playing ability you have nothing to hide so bring it in a bit. gj, it has a lot of potential.

The songs is pretty cool. The music is pretty cool. It has a good groove going on. Listening thru laptop so don't have a complete picture.

The solos have a really cool delay on them. The only thing I thought was that I just expected for a solo voice to take it home. Maybe a chorus where it lets loose or something.

Beautiful guitar playing! The vocal is also very good and I like the "room sound" you got on it. Song-wise, there's nothing wrong with it and it's very strong material.
Mix-wise, I would bring the drums out a little more. It's hard for me to tell, but it sounds like the drums are programmed? Even if they aren't, they sound a little sterile.

drums are to low. i think just adding compression on the snare and kick and uping the volume would fill out space better because the guitar on the left is completly dominating when it's just instuments playing. i like the vocals. why not put that lead guitar part on the right instead of putting it on the same side as the rhythm? just a thought. wrote this while listening. cool song.

Wow, some great feedback there. Thanks to all of you!

It seems that some like the spread on the mix, and some don't. I think I'm leaning toward running the rhythm section down the middle, and keeping the vox spread. I will try to work on the guitar placements to maximize impact and reduce clutter.

The drums are indeed programmed. :( Even so, I should be able to make them sound better.

Thanks again all.

Chris

Nothing much to add to what has already been said here.

I think it's a really good song. Guitar work is excellent, Singers voice is really interesting (in a good way) and I really like the harmonies. My only issue is that more of the mix should be in the center (I think the Vox should be)

Overall, really great song! Keep up the good work!

Hi Chris - I thought this song was great! Loved the style and feel of it. Loved the vocals and the effects are really cool. For my taste, the vocals are just where they need to be in the mix. Great style and hope to hear more from you! I'm gonna do a friend request on myspace so I know where to find your stuff.

Very cool!

Back