New song/ Comments appreciated

I'm no expert on this style of music but I have no complaints. Well actually at about 1:09 - "...no hurricane" <---a bad note on that lyric.

Other than that, great performance + great recording + great mix = great job...

Even the annoyingly inherent mp3 noise doesn't bother me so much...well yes it does but it's kinda ignorable....:D

Thanks Trell, I know there's a few of sour notes throughout. I just can't avoid them because I really suck at singing.

I'm curious how the low end blends in, I mix with Event ALP5's and have to kind of guess what's going on down there. I played the song at my dad's house over the weekend and it didn't translate well at all.

Thanks,

Hi

I like the song a lot. A rock song with trumpet (I guess it's synth), what a nice idea. I like the mix, all the instruments and the vox.

Nice work,

/Jack Real

Hey Chili. That guitar tone reminded me of the tone from Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House. Nice bass and singing. Are those live drums? The trumpet is quite shrill...I guess that's what trumpets do. Lead guitar licks are very low.

Hey JR and MA, thanks much for taking the time to listen. I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, trumpet, trombone, bass, electric piano are all patches from my keyboard played "live" (no midi). Unfortunately, I haven't played drums since high school and we won't go into how long ago that was. So, no live drums here. I use ezdrummer. Guitar is an Ibanez semi-hollow through an RP150.

Cheers,

Cool tune but, it sounds like the rhythm guitar and drums are in a bit of a cat fight. Might just be be.....the song just does not flow.......good tune though, I like the lyrics a lot.

Great song and you have a great voice in this. My only problem is that the drum beat seems to make the rythm too jumpy. I think snare on just 2 and 4 would sit better, but that's all subjective. The trumpet sounds cool, too.

The guitar has that effect from CH. Though the edge is sharper - CH blended it more.
The "trumpet" line is good enough to get someone in to do it for real.
The intro reminds me of another song - I can't recall which though - Maybe a Robert Wyatt track.
The guitar effect doesn't quite work on some of the more strident strums a bit before 3min on the short.
Very good work mate - try to get a trumpet or cornet player!

It's a nice jazzy tune-its got a nice point to it as well. I think the trumpet needs to add accents rather than a repeating figure all through the song and like Rami suggested, a change in the beat would let the song flow better.
Good work though!!

Wow, this is all really good stuff. Thanks everyone for taking the time. Whew, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Most comments here reflect thoughts I've been having, but didn't want to admit to. Lead guitar too low during solos, trumpet too prominent, couple of sour notes in vox, drums too repetitious (had to look that one up).

And about the rhythm guit comment by jpw... when i first started tracking it sounded great, but got lost as I added more stuff. I'm not sure how to bring it out without killing everything else. I thought it sounded great by itself, but now you can't hear all its tone. I'm gonna work on it.

Thanks again all,
Dave/Chili/Irish Pirate

btw: I passed on some of the comments to the girl who wrote the lyrics. She'll appreciate them.

Back