New Song - "Anything"

BobOC

Hi all...

Thought I post this latest recording...it was written late last summer, after I had lost three family members...mostly, it's about my mom, who passed away in December 2001.

This is kind of a rough demo...hopefully I'll have a chance to re-record. I used my two Studio Projects mics (C1 and B1) on vocals and acoustic guitar.

The song is called "Anything." Thank you for listening!

BobOC
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2533&alid=-1

Last edited:
Very nice BobOC, well performed and a good recording. One note sticks out a bit during the solo (1:04) it's a bit sharp, wonder if you could process it somehow and bring into pitch. Minor problem, just thought I'd mention it.

Great job.

Nice song Bob. A very simple expression of your thoughts. The guitars and your voice sound good. Good recording.

I did hear some tuning issues with the guitar here and there. I would be axious to hear this retracked.

Nice work.

Very well done.
I lost my mother a couple years ago and this song set me into an unexpected cry.

There is a feel of serenity in this song that I imagine you are striving for in life right now. I wish you well.

Thanks very much for listening, folks.

Re: the tuning...yes, I think I'm out a bit. I recorded the "lead" guitar track at about 2AM last night...after about three glasses of wine! The whole thing was kind of a rush job, done after the wife and daughter went to sleep. I am planning to re-do.

Re: mom...can't believe I made a mistake in my first post! She passed away December 20, 2001, not 2002. She was a great lady, 81 when she died. Bought me my first bass guitar, and my first acoustic. Christmastime 2001 was very tough, but lately all of my thoughts have been pleasant and happy. I was (am) a lucky guy.

- BobOC

Good tune. It sounds very heartfelt.

The lead vocal sounds very good. Nice tone. Nicely "out in front".

The guitars need work - tonally speaking. First, I'd like to hear the guitars hotter in the mix - perhaps some compression. Additionally, I'm picking up some type of subtle "warble" on the guitars. It's almost has if they were recorded on tape and the tape has become stretched. I can't place my finger on it. Did you apply an effect to the guitars?

Is that a Travis-based picking rhythm?

BPOCO

bpoco...

Funny thing about the guitars...my main acoustic is a 1970s Epiphone Texan. While I was getting ready to record this, my high e-string broke! So I grabbed my substitute, a Washburn acoustic/electric. The Washburn is an o.k. guitar but doesn't record very well. In hindsight, I should never have bought the Washburn. But, being a lefty, my choices are usually limited when I walk into the local guitar shops.

I kept the volume down on the guitar tracks because...drumroll, please...my damn oil burner kept shutting on and off! (I record in a downstairs bedroom). Usually, I turn the oil burner off when I'm recording, but it was zero degrees in Connecticut last night! And yes, I think I did apply some chorus to one of the guitars. Again, it was to "mask" some of the room noise and junk.

That settles it...I'm re-recording this one tomorrow!

:)

Thanks again for the input...BobOC

P.S. The picking style is Travis, I suppose. I never took lessons...just picked up my methods from listening to James Taylor, Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, etc.

BobOC,

Take whatever "advice" you get on this BBS with some caution. You'll never please everyone all the time and so much of it can be subjective. Additionally, you never know who is behind the comment - a seasoned professional or a relative newbie like me. You've got to take all the data points you get and decide which ones ring true for you.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to your re-record of "Anything".

BPOCO

Warm tune. Your sentiment shines through like the winter sun.

Recording sound very clean and decently mixed.

Good vocals, they are fit for the song.

Nice Job!

Theron.

Back