Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New song, acoustic and uBass

Thanks

New song, acoustic and uBass

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi folks, appreciate all your advice! You guys here know what you're talking about, I'm trying to write more songs now my sons are growing up (why get old!?) and I really just use Mixcraft (which works ok for me), so thanks for taking the time to listen.
    I wrote this a couple of weeks ago and recorded last week, complete with a cheesy smartphone video.
    In all seriousness, I'm still working on getting better recorded acoustic sound (Shure beta 57A). It's my first ever song trying to play my new Mahalo uBass (which I'm finding unbelievably hard to play! but to be fair that's where multiple takes/edits came in...)

It's called "Blue Sky" :

I really should post more here, I go away and hide for months, do nothing, eat cakes, then write a song. Hmmm.
    Will be back.
    Thanks guys

Thanks
    I thought it was MOR style but pleasant. It could use more bass for sure. I'd use a shaker or alternative percussion b/c the drums aren't doing much as is, so you might as well make the sounds interesting.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sounds pretty good to me. The electric guitar sound great.

Vocals and harmonies sound real good.

Nice work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Manslick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Electric guitar and bass sounded good to me. The acoustic guitar seemed to have a lot of 'room' (or added reverb?) The drums are really low in the mix, but the kick is louder than the rest of them (and the sidestick is echoey), really noticeable during the lead part around 2:15.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    I thought it was MOR style but pleasant. It could use more bass for sure. I'd use a shaker or alternative percussion b/c the drums aren't doing much as is, so you might as well make the sounds interesting.
    thanks for taking the time to listen! ok, hear what you're saying on the bass and shaker... I guess I was aiming for the dated/60s feel also... MOR, smooth, these things are compliments to me ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Manslick View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me. The electric guitar sound great.
    Vocals and harmonies sound real good.
    Nice work.
    thanks so so much, and for listening!
    it helps to get feedback, it really does
    I don't have an electric guitar anymore to be honest, that solo (and the jangly bits) was me on my Taylor GS-Mini (I love it)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Electric guitar and bass sounded good to me. The acoustic guitar seemed to have a lot of 'room' (or added reverb?) The drums are really low in the mix, but the kick is louder than the rest of them (and the sidestick is echoey), really noticeable during the lead part around 2:15.
    hmmm, see what you're saying about the drums being low... it's a tough one, isn't it? I guess I tried to prioritise on being able to hear the acoustic all the way through, you're right though, they're quite low
    the acoustic is a funny one, I couldn't get it quite right... there's some real double-tracking going on, and some short reverb too
    I always take shortcuts with drum loops I guess (everything else is me lol), and I suppose this is the consequence...hard to get right!
    thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment, it means a lot!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msnickybee View Post
    the acoustic is a funny one, I couldn't get it quite right... there's some real double-tracking going on, and some short reverb too
    Oh then it might have been the doubletracking I was hearing. I've found that when tracking acoustic, you just can't get the strumming the same each time you track, so you can end up with a reverby or echoey sound, or a swirly phase issue.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Oh then it might have been the doubletracking I was hearing. I've found that when tracking acoustic, you just can't get the strumming the same each time you track, so you can end up with a reverby or echoey sound, or a swirly phase issue.
    you're right, I thought I'd got away with it, obviously not :-(
    thanks again

Thanks
    Your lead vocal sounds a bit naked until the :46 mark, where more instruments drop in and then your voice fills out and blends in very nicely.

At the 1:22 mark your lead vocal suddenly sounds way better. Something you tweaked there?

Nice song! Bass sounds good. Taylor sounds good. I really like your voice.

Eat more cakes!
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    Your lead vocal sounds a bit naked until the :46 mark, where more instruments drop in and then your voice fills out and blends in very nicely.
    At the 1:22 mark your lead vocal suddenly sounds way better. Something you tweaked there?
    Nice song! Bass sounds good. Taylor sounds good. I really like your voice.
    Eat more cakes!
    I think...I just sung the Bridge section better! It's one of the big lessons of this for me, I don't plan enough time to give a good enough performance. When it's all just me (writing, producing, tracking, mixing) - you know how it is - it's easy to forget "hey, remember to give a good, consistent performance throughout!". You make an excellent point, and thanks for taking the time to listen and to write positive things!
    No cake in the house, but we HAVE got chocolate in abundance..... :-)

EDIT
    I lied! (well, forgot)
    I just checked, and the Bridge is double tracked, well, triple-tracked, 2 very quiet differently auto-tuned copies 65% left and 65% right... I suppose it's all about the build up of the song. But, if my vocal doesn't stand so well alone, maybe I *need* this all the way through (I'm not a great vocalist, obviously)
    Last edited by msnickybee; 03-28-2018 at 08:55. Reason: Missed point about double-tracking

Thanks
    Aha! I do something similar with my vocal. I actually clone it and slap a 1ms delay on one. It's not as rich and full sounding as double-tracking, but it does smooth it out some.

Is your main vocal autotuned at all in the beginning? I can't tell. Your voice is so clear and crisp, when you're speaking the lyrics it produces some hard notes at the start and end of some words. When you begin to sing the lyrics it's less apparent.

I've been trying to figure out what this song, especially your singing, reminds me of. I just got it : Cowboy Junkies' Margo Timmins singing Sweet Jane

youtu.be/LS3yUwFnVGQ
    Last edited by spantini; 03-28-2018 at 19:09.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thread Information