new song

theties

Hey guys
this is my first crack at making an entire song on the computer.
Most of it is derived of Midi and wav sampling. Although I did record the rythm guitar and solo. I composed the midi using Guitar Pro and got the drums with Fruity Loops. Please tell me what you think.

It can be download at:
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/488/the_ties.html
song title: 'Twilight'
thanks

OK here are my thoughts:

Drums - a bit loud in the mix (the beginning)
Guitar - WAY to loud in the mix. Can't hear anything but the distorted guitar when it starts.
Piano - kinda' fake sounding but if you don't have a real one then they all sound fake. Noticed some timing issues with the piano also.
Pads - sounded good to me.

The tune was kinda' neat but a bit repeditive.

Keep it up, you're on the right track !!! Really nice for a first go.

Dennis

yah thats what I've been gettin too.
The guitar is too loud. The piano is allright but you can certainly tell it is MIDI.
I will probably rerecord with my band, I just did this on my own.

thanks a lot for your input Dennis

No problem.

Here's a friendly bump...

Maybe some of the more experienced "home recorders" on the board can offer some more specific advice. I'm still learning so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Dennis

I thought rusty pretty much captured it - certain elements dominating the mix. I'll say that, while that guit is loud, it has a real cool sound to it.

The piano doesn't sound that horrible when in the mix, but it comes through when it's played by itself....

There is alot of timing problems in the beginning, as well.

Where are your piano sounds coming from?

I composed the Piano with Guitar Pro 3 along with the other synth stuff, exported as MIDI, transformed to WAV, overlayed the drums WAV in 'Wavlab' and recorded the Guitar through to a WAV and overlayed it in 'Wavlab'.

I think you did rather well at getting it all tracked,...and combining audio and midi.
Now the mixing of it will just take a little time and practice as well. As you do that you`ll also start searching for better or more natural sounding patches to use as midi voices. I think ya did a good job for a first stab. Much better than I did... :)

thanks a lot.
Im pretty new with using MIDI. Can you download different instruments or patches to make the notes sound differntly? I just used the ones that came with Guitar Pro 3.

right now I'm working on another song using GP3 to compose it in MIDI. I think it is light years beyond my previous attempt at writing. I'm going to record it with instruments after I know exactly how I want the whole thing to sound.

I kinda like using GP3 to do the composing, because like so many other people, I learned how to play guitar with tablature and don't know a thing about notes. With GP3 all I have to do is compose it as a tab and I can make any instrument play the notes that I have come to know using the guitar.

Is there anything out there that can also do this, but is perhaps more powerfull?

thanks again everyone

Im sorry, I`m not familiar with your program. Most likely someone else here is. If the program your using accepts/sends midi signals externally, you would be another couple of light years ahead by getting a keyboard that has midi in/out, they can be found to be very inexpensive new or used. You would be able to play in the tracks you want instead of note by note writing or step sequencing.

the guitar at the intro had alot of hizz (try turning off your PC monitor when you record guitars to reduce fuzz)

the guitar at 1:30 can use some delay or reverb, as well as the piano, I would say.

Some timing issues here and there. Keep tracking until you get it right:)

Overall, I really like where you are going with this. Nice mood and somewhat spacy(sp?) With some reverb, this will be even more relaxing.

Good stuff

AL

thanks A1A2
I didn't know about the turning off the monitor trick, I will defenitley try that! Adding Reverb would defeently add to the feel too. Im not sure if I will remix the song again though. I did it originally about 6 months ago.
I realize the timing issues as well are there. Especially in the beginning. It was tuff to get the drums at the right tempo to match the rest of the song. A problem that you don't have if your recording live drums.

Back