new song.

flash2ace

hi guys i hope i gott this wright this time, i know i am not worthy of your comments but they would be appreciated greatly please.
well this time i put the guitar tracks at 85 percent right 85 percent left and one wright down the center and it sounds much fatter. and i took analyticals wisdom of turning the gain down some and surprise it sounds better as far as i can tell, i did all the vocals myself and im so sorry i dont mean to put you through having to listen to me sing, nails on a chalkboard sound better imho. but i would appreciate any comments and thanks ahead of time, i use my zoom again with some new custom distortions i created and there not so harsh this time lol. god bless tim pate
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1751&alid=-1 greater works

a bit muddy....:D

VOCALS UP!!!!...i think that should be right in the title to the forum...."MP3 MIXING CLINIC .....VOCALS UP PLEASE" :)..
yep guitars are pretty thick..its the mix that is suffering i think...altho it would seem your surgical recovery is coming along quite nicely...the main rythym giutar part needs to break up a bit..it sounds like one of those things you record to "solo" over ..it just doesnt change much...NOW if i could play like that maybe i would just play it over and over too!!!:D

i cant really comment on the lyrical aspect ...yet...

BRING UP THOSE VOCALS!!!!!

jamal

i didnt write this song my singer from my band wrote it and she played it on piano, and she is quite particular about me changin the rythm lines lol. she has a glorious voice though and is one of the nicest people i know other than my wife of course. shes supposed to come over and do the vocal tracks on this for me, maybe later today. i tend to keep the vox low when i sing because the sound of my own voice scares the heck outta me and makes me wanna figure out that autotune thingy even more lol. but just for you ill turn the vox up jamal i just hope your ears dont melt from my non harmonic voice. what do you suggest i do about the muddy sound? it sounds ok in my home stereo and it sounds killer through my car stereo. im open to any suggestions.
if your gonna say eq try to give some examples if you could please because i am not to good with eq and my past recordings are proof of that, im trying to get away from using it all together if that is possible and thought i had with this song. the only alteration i did to this song was add some compression courtesy of timeworks comppresor and a little bit of reverb on mixdown, and i put some chorus on the backing voxs. i realy panned this one out and payed realy close attention to where everything was at. i had 15 tracks of audio on here. the drums are just my yamaha keyboard playing a beat and i know this is cheesy but im running outta ideas for drums. fruity loops and likewise programs just dont work for me i cant figure them out to well. anyway im going on to long here lol. thanks for the listen jamal and ill repost this later this afternoon with the vox up and if you think of any sugestions on clearing the muddy sound please feel free to suggest away thanks. god bless tim pate

flash2ace said:
i tend to keep the vox low when i sing because the sound of my own voice scares the heck outta me and makes me wanna figure out that autotune thingy even more lol. god bless tim pate

this is the exact reason why I do not like the idea of auto tune..

if the sound of your own voice scares you, practice.. I sometimes will do 100 takes to get things right.. 100! sometimes more.. Screw the auto tune.. If you ever have a problem with a guitar solo, are you going to look for an auto solo?

the vocals aren't bad at all.. there are a few spots, but they are not too bad at all.. there too low.. and there is almost no bass drum on this song..

you seem to be a really good guitar player.. look at vocals like a guitar solo.. everything you sing should be able to be played as a guitar solo.. if it wouldn't sound right as a guitar solo, it probably won't sound right when you sing it..

If you start to rely on auto tune, and the unit breaks or something, that means you won't be able to lay vocals until you get a new 'easy out'..

doesn't that sound insane?

sorry about the rant.. good song, needs a remix.. rhythm guitars lower, vocals and drums and solos louder..

thanks b.sabath for the boost of confidence, i just started trying to sing seriously towards the end of 2002. ive always been a guitar player and never a singer. although ive always wanted to sing on my own stuff realy bad ive had to rely on others to do it for me. i know the whole autotune thing is silly and i seriously have never used it even though i admit to having it. the whole thing of treating my voice as a guitar solo realy struck home with me and put things a little more in perspective. i have a low self esteem when it comes to my music anymore because my wife of 11 years has taken a jelous position between me and my music and realy doesnt care to hear it at all. but i guess that is my problem. i was kinda hoping someone would give me some tips on eqing the mud outta this. im not to prominent with eq settings i usually just use presets and such. how do you get that alice n chains sound with the vocals, i mean what is the theory structure for that. like on your new song i realy dig the voxs alot and think that it has a similar theory as alice n chains has. i always loved the way there voxs sounded. anyway if anyone can give me some eq ideas i would be much obliged. to be honest i cant even tell that it sounds muddy on this end and im listening to the mp3. thanks and god bless. tim pate

Tim;

I have listened to this tune 4 times at Lo Fi and I'm now downloading it. I'll convert it to a Wav and put it on one of my programs tonight. From what I hear so far, this needs to have a complete remix though.

For one thing, I believe that you are going to have to compress the guitars or compress them differently if you already have. That scooped mids sound takes alot of kick to be heard properly.

I'm listening to the wave that I just created. Much better. get the guitar that you have in the center out of there for one thing, Bro.

I'll be later. :)

BTW, This is a cool tune with a great message.

CR

Vocal needs to come up. I can't understand them very well. The guitar seems to engulf about half of the sound?

Do you listen hard to the vocals before you keep it? You may want to listen to them with nothing else playing or maybe just a bass or guitar track but turned way down in volume (just for pitch). It's a good way to critique your own vocal pitch. If you get the track sounding pretty good like that, then it usually will sound great when it's mixed in with everything else.

Joe

Really liked the guitars. Real thick. Some good lead playing too.

Yeah the vocals need to come up (I'm sure you were just waiting on confirmation from me :D). I do think the vocals need some work. But I don't think need autotune (boy there's a lot of talk about that all of a sudden).

I think it's more of a warmer tone and smoother singing style that you need. I'd experiment with different styles of singing before I'd autotune anything. The backing vocals are out of sync with the lead in quite a few spots. Watch for that.

Keep at it. Again, superb guitars (at least in my opinion).

ok i remixed it now, turned voxs up guitars down and drums up a bit, and i realy remixed it differently this time so i hope its better im realy just worried about sound quality for now, i realy appreciate all the comments and thanks axe for the listen and all. god bless you all tim pate. if it needs eq work please give me some examples of what needs done thanks. i will fix the vocals later tonight im gonna resing the whole thing over, just wanna get the mix wright.

ice blue 52 - the lead guitar is pretty far back, I think the tone is fine though, just needs more volume. the drums are nice, could be nicer with a tinge of reverb. bass guitar needs more volume (but I could be wrong because Im listening through a crappy computer speaker set)

holy shred - guitars sound a little sharp, a little cold. i think some work with a parametric eq can warm it up. drums are again nice, can be nicer with reverb. nice harmonization part (im a sucker for those)

greater works than these - again, nice drum sounds, just right. does the vocalist like Ozzy? Some delay would be great on the vox... not much just add some atmosphere. lead guitar needs bringing up front, but tone is nice.

overall, very nice stuff.

thanks for the listen quattro, i did the voxs on this and wow it surprises me that someone compared me to ozzy, what a compliment. although i just think your being modest lol but it was worth a try. yeah i know the leads need to be a bit louder in greater works and im gonna turn them up as soon as my lead singer comes over and does her vocal tracks on it, i just did it for fun and practice, basicly i wanna try and keep the leads at the same volume as the voxs. i realy liked your song to so im glad we could swap critics here. wow ozzy im still flattered lol. thanks again and god bless tim pate

Back