Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEW SINGLE - DISPARITY (Looking for feedback)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    Yeah. It sounds like there's a kick and snare (or equivalent) in that fill too?
    Yeah I think there is, I high passed it though to remove them as best as I could without removing the hi hats & percs. I work with a studio currently and they were talking to me about DJ markers? So using fills & reverbed kicks/snares to help the DJ mix it into a set better. I'll take a look at the volume of that, it's meant to be a subtle background fill not the main drums, they just come in once in a while to give a bit more humanisation to the hi hats

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    I was talking about the drums in the entirety of the intro.

On the low end, I'm not sure you have a problem. I was listening on nearfields (small monitors). But from what I was hearing, I think you should check the low end on a bigger system. Everything might be OK. But it's worth a check.
    Yeah it is a little heavy I just went out in my car and it was a little bit too heavy, well spotted! I'll sort that out tomorrow. Thanks to soundcloud pro I can change the file without having to reupload haha, thank you for that info. Very helpful. What was it about the drums in the entirety of the intro you felt was off? The drum fill from 0:10-0:20 is a little too quiet yeah, but did you feel the rest of the drums during the intro felt off? In terms of volume or just arrangement?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruthish View Post
    I think the mix and samples you are using sound good. The composition is pretty good too, except that I second what VHS says...it gets to a point where it just sounds like the same thing over and over with no climax....no direction...Not sure how you would solve that with this genre
    Hi Bruthish,

Thank you for your comments, it's good to hear my sound selection & arrangement was on point with this one . I understand what you mean, and I feel the same when I listen to 99% of drum and bass in all honesty. The standard formula of "intro, drop 1, breakdown, drop 2, outro" doesn't really provide much room for movement so it takes some real out of the box thinking to do what the best producers in the world do who really get that sense of progression with their tracks, and even they get it wrong a lot of the time. As there's no lyrics to add variety, the composition is much harder in terms of getting it to sound like it has movement. I tried to switch it up halfway by adding an interlude and bringing in a new bassline and sort of merging it with the first half to give it a sense of continuity. I appreciate your feedback, it is very much appreciated and I'll do my best to apply it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dude7691 View Post
    Hi Bruthish,

Thank you for your comments, it's good to hear my sound selection & arrangement was on point with this one . I understand what you mean, and I feel the same when I listen to 99% of drum and bass in all honesty. The standard formula of "intro, drop 1, breakdown, drop 2, outro" doesn't really provide much room for movement so it takes some real out of the box thinking to do what the best producers in the world do who really get that sense of progression with their tracks, and even they get it wrong a lot of the time. As there's no lyrics to add variety, the composition is much harder in terms of getting it to sound like it has movement. I tried to switch it up halfway by adding an interlude and bringing in a new bassline and sort of merging it with the first half to give it a sense of continuity. I appreciate your feedback, it is very much appreciated and I'll do my best to apply it
    See, I was about to suggest adding vocals to it 'cause the DnB I'm most familiar with is Pendulum!
    (And the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge progression creates some pretty good movement.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    See, I was about to suggest adding vocals to it 'cause the DnB I'm most familiar with is Pendulum!
    (And the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge progression creates some pretty good movement.)
    Yeah it's just about practice really and adding subtle changes to create that sense of progression still make it easy to follow. I love pendulum too haha, they're actually one of my greatest inspirations and some of the first dnb artists i started out listening to!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dude7691 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dude7691 View Post
    Yeah it's just about practice really and adding subtle changes to create that sense of progression still make it easy to follow. I love pendulum too haha, they're actually one of my greatest inspirations and some of the first dnb artists i started out listening to!
    Any DnB producer who claims not to like Pendulum is probably lying or intentionally being disagreeable!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Any DnB producer who claims not to like Pendulum is probably lying or intentionally being disagreeable!
    Totally agree haha, tarantula is one of the best dnb songs I've ever heard I think

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dude7691 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It feels a little too chaotic. Its hard to get in the flow for me. but the Mix is quiet okay.. maybe the kick could punch a little harder.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny_Joel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    At 0:54 I would not do 4 Bassdrum hits. Give the last hit a prehit... DA-DA-DA-DADA.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cajhmere For This Useful Post:

Thread Information