New Rough Mix Of New Song

Beezoboy

Home Recording Guru
After such helpful comments from a song I posted on here about 3 weeks ago, I decided to see if you guys/girls could help me on this mix also.

*Caution* The "F word" is used a couple times in this song. The song is about how we got dicked over at a showcase about a year ago. We went to open for a band that the record execs were interested in. The deal was that our press packs were SUPPOSED to be given to them also. The manager never did anything for our band.

First what I know is wrong:

-Intonation on the vocals. (I have quite a few takes I have yet to sort through)

-Toms are a bit quiet and don't have a whole lot of attack.

-A few timing issues.

-Bass may be a bit too loud

Please let me know if what you think could be improved and what sounds pleasing too.

Thanks,
Beez

(P.S. I finally got a problem with my speakers worked out so I can't start commenting on your mixes again :)

the guitar sound is a little canned sound....seems like it's missing out on some mids.......that seems to be a taste issue mainly though

my biggest complaint is the snare.....it has a really odd sound to me that i'm having trouble describing...it just needs more crack to it...

you've got good stuff to work w/....a good song...good playing....real drums......this should clean up nicely

powderfinger said:

my biggest complaint is the snare.....it has a really odd sound to me that i'm having trouble describing...it just needs more crack to it...

or high end... and the snares adjusted properly....or the drum is mummy-fied in duct tape.

This mix is cutoff at 8kHz I am guessing from the sound. Nothing up top at all.

Kinda sounds like a mix pulled off the board at the club....with the gtrs panned out wide.

I'm not too sure I'm in agreement with the problems you noted...but see other items like the overall muffled sound, the nasty snare, and the SRV (and kinda outta tune) sounding gtrs thrashing out in left and right fields, respectively. Especially when the one guitar was playing on the left by itself in the beginning and the very end..I thought my right side had cut out (but I know it didn't).. ..just an awkward 'tilt' to the mix... some stereo ambience on those tracks solves that kinda problem.

The sound and mix and performance leans towards 'that garage sound' for a lack of better words. Needs polish...refinement, fidelity, ...
oh..did like the burp in the beginning... that sounded real:eek: !!:D :D :D

rough

Nice metalic sound on guitar in beginning. Drums sound EQ 'frowned' , some mids, no top, no bottom, sounds like they are in a really dead room, I imagine this is equiptment limitations. The bass sounds nice. The instrument levels are well-mixed. The vocals could be louder by about 2-3db. Guitar is the only thing that has some good sonic quality. I really like what ya'll are doing at 2:05. Song tightens up considerably towards the end. Use a click track it will improve your tightness by lightyears.

The biggest improvement here will be increasing the sonic quality of the actual instruments, then you will be able to hear more of what your are actually going to do with the tune.

Thanks for posting.

Well hmmmm. . . Maybe I should get new monitors, because other than the dark quality to the drums I really don't hear all that.

-I agree that the guitar sound is different and so are the drums to some degree. Could these just be artistic complaints?

-I know there is a serious lack of highs in the mix, I guess they just get loss in the mess of guitars. I have the highs boosted on the cymbals and guitar. Also the mid is boosted on the guitar a bit below 1k by 4db. *Actually I just listened again and there is something weird going on, my mix on my monitors is nothing like that at all* I need to see whats going on.

-At the beginning it is supposed to be nearly all on the left, because it makes impacts when the rest of the song comes in. Then at the end it rings out on the left for the same reason.

-For the snare I am kind of going for that Pearl Jam type of snare sound. Like on the song Animal. Listen to it and you'll notice some resemblance. Once I get the highs fixed maybe you'll hear it.

I need to see what happened on that mix and I'll repost an updated link.

Thanks guys.
Beez

beezoboy

i think you have pretty much pointed out everything that i would have commented on.
The snare seems like its got the same problem as the last song you posted. Its really boxy sounding with no highs. It stands out more in the parts where everything breaks but the drums. Im not really famillar with that pearl jam song (never really liked them) but if its what your going for then use it.
Im guessing that you didn't close mic your toms and thats why they aren't any louder in the mix? I really would like to hear more of the toms in the song since it is rock.
The kick still sounds a little buried to me but i think once you clear up the snare and the guitars it won't be an issue.
Overall sounds like you got good seperation going on and did well tracking. Anyhow you prob already know all this.
keep the tunes coming

A snap (and belch!) count in... haha ;)

Ornery tone there...

K the snare is pretty boxy... mic/tracking combo... may be able to tame it w/a cut somewhere between 215Hz & 300... not too much, just enough to get rid of the "BOX" sound. (try a Q-width of about 6 and lower it around 2-3db... then sweep it between 215 & 300... look for the sweet spot)

Way cool song... nice swagger to it. This is my type of tunes! S.T.P.... very cool. Good singer. Sounds like your guitarist really likes his S.T.P. ;) Good drummer.

I'm thinking a better mic'ing of the drums would help this tremendously. Better tracking of the guitars would help, too... but the drums would make the biggest impact, IMO.

Whoa... F word... nice :D potty mouth :mad: ;)

The outro---swwweeeeeeet funky moves.

Great performance. Sounds like tracking issues more than mix issues. IMO you "could" get a better mix outta this, but it would be more effort/time than just retracking drums w/better room & mics. I dunno... maybe some expert like littledog or Track Rat could polish this up to respectability, but tracking would definitely eliminate a lot of sweat on their parts :)

c w/4 (+1 for better tracking/mix)

Chad

this is very nice. the cymbals are coming through very nice on my headphones.

i like what you're doing with the hihat at around 2:30, neat stereo delay going on.

only complaint is that the snare sounds very strange. let that thing breath. sounds like there is a towel over it.

i like the singer.

Back