New Rock Song - Let it Rain - my first song post

maximusbs

Brad Smith Music
This is my first attempt at recording my own vocals to my music :eek: Like some others here, I hate the sound of my voice, but I've been working on it.
I would like to know what my overall 'sound' is like. I know it's rock, but what sub-genre and decade, i have no idea. Does my vocal fit the music? And finally, how's the mix, placement, guitar tones, effects, performance, etc.? This is the first mix and not mastered. Thanks for listening.

Brad

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1058589

Hey man, nice song. It sounds kind of mid 80's except with less reverb. :laughings:
Some mix advice: the snare should come down a bit, and maybe take some of the lower-mid frequencies out. The bass could be a little louder. The hard panned vocals can be a tiny bit quieter. Also, the guitar solo is a bit loud.
(I say "bit" a lot)
Be glad that these are simple fixes :D

Good job with this. The quality is good too. By the way, your singing voice isn't bad at all.

The vocals need to come down a bit to fit better in the mix. You kinda sound like Zakk Wylde by the way. Bass needs to come up, too. I like the effects on your vox. Turning down the volume should make them less prominent, I guess. Overall good recording. Good quality.

I liked the song. It's a good toe tapper.

I thought the mix was pretty thin and narrow.

The guitars lacked fullness. I think the gain might have been turned up a little too much. It made them a bit fizzy. They're also pretty low in the mix.

The reverb on the vocals didn't fit the feel of the song for me. This is more a power pop mix and the verb might have worked well on some weird old Bowie song. I'd also keep the doubled lead tracks down the center.

Tough to hear the bass.

Drums sound a little "programmy." :)

Thank you guys for your suggestions, critiques and compliments. I am re-recording the guitar parts with different guitars and plug-ins to see if it can improve the support and clarity. The vocal and bass level comments were dead-on and I'm working on those too. The loud snare (correct) and the "programmy" sound of the drums are going to be tough to fix. I'm using loops, so adjusting snare levels at this point are going to be tough (any ideas?). I could spend more time when arranging the loops to make them sound less predictable.

Thanks again!

Hi Brad,

I just gave it a listen...it's a good song, very catchy. I tend to agree with most of what the other posters have said above. From a mix perspective, the first things that struck me were that it seems narrow and right up the middle at the start of the song. I'd maybe try to pan the doubled rhythm guitars out wide right at the beginning. Also, I think the bass definitely needs to come up. Other than that, I think I'd agree with TripleM about the vocal effect, I think it's a little too much, but then again, I tend to like relatively dry sounding vocals. If it were me, I'd also keep the lead vocals in the center, remove the doubling, and then move the background harmonies out, either to one side, or in a stereo spread.

Good song man, I can't wait to hear it after you remix.

Regards,

Dave

Back