New ROCK!!! Is it professional sounding??

Analytical Man

Here is a new tune i just finished mixing called Voices. The music is all me but the vox are a guy who wanted some music written for his lyrics. It was strange writing music around his already done lyrics/melody. Very backwards from what i normally do. Anyway, i am really happy with the mix as is he. Is there anything that could be improved upon. Is this professional sounding?? Thanks for your time.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=5386&alid=-1

Here is a new tune i just finished mixing called Voices.
Really nice song. I like it... it seemed very natural and if you were uncomfortable writing to someone else arrangement it sure didn't come out in the recording.

One thing... the mp3 storage site you use is a headache. There are much better FREE sites out there. Unless this one was developed by a family member I can't see why you would stick with it?

By the way what do you mean by professional sounding? Was Nirvana professional sounding before it became a professional sound, after they made it big. It would have merely been noise in the 80s. So I'm not sure what you mean there. If you could clarify I would be glad to give you a better answer.

I like the song, it has some good energy.

Couple of suggestions...

vocals could come down a little in the intro, they sit good from 1:10 after
The kick click (2khz?) is a little strong. I know it's gotta be there, but bring it down some.
I think the hi-hats could use some more work.
I don't like the effects (reverb? sounds like a really fast echo??) on the last stinger, last note.

I'm on headphones, so take that into consideration.

Cool tones on the guits!!

Cool man,

its aiight. its got that nickelback sound. i agree, the first thing i thought were the vocals were too in your face in the beginning, it actually made me a little sick, hearing his mouth so loud. grossed me out. as for a professional sound, its not got that yet. i dont know if its the song or what, or the rhythm most likely.

Love it. Nice mix, great sound. The 'neo-80s' style synth sound is a great touch and well done. I agree with others that the voice on the intro needs a bit of work, too Nickelbacky perhaps. Otherwise I like the drums, guitars and singing.

The song (vocals) gets repetitive towards the end with the lyrics "Voices in my head" sung over and over. Breaking it up with a bright sounding guitar solo might help, but in essence more lyrical creativity is needed. Lastly, the song's subject matter is depressing (mental problems, suicide, death) and though it covers an affliction of many people, it will only appeal to a niche audience because the melodrama gets annoying. Admittedly, for some bands that doesn't matter.

hey ! the song doesn't wanna work for me,, maybe my internet is tooooo slow ? wont be surprised LOL..

I would love to hear it , i'm curious !!

The intro is extremely interesting musically. The guitar has a cool counterpoint to the singing. The kik is a bit loud in spots as mentioned by Chili. Mainly when the song starts to cook... The mix is good for me other than that. I think both vocally and musically this is a fabulous collab. Pro sounding - yes - except that kik may need to be down a tad...

Hey S!

I'd add a little delay to the opening vocal to "biggen" it a hair ... and whilst at it ... spread the git a little more around the vocal ... maybe even swirly for sonic interest, but as is ... the two aren't playing sonically nice nice w/ each other, they're stepping on each other.

Great effect (which I did anticipate), when you launched the gits in the wings, but they jump in WAY too hot, enter the listener's brain and fry the midrange frequency receptors. It's like expecting a hot cup of coffee and drinking liquid lava. I expected hot, but nowhere near that hot. :D

The trouble is that it then throws off the rest of the mix ... you're forced to run everything at clip levels, and things ... particularly stuff like the snare ... just flatten out sound wise. That snare sounds like it might be a large piece of cardboard.

The vox then dive under the assaultive sonic wall of guitars, and the vocalist ... who does have a very cool voice that should be showcased ... winds up getting buried six feet under midrange fire.

The FIRST thing you need to do is pull back on the comp/limiting and let the mix breath more ... give it air ... for it's suffocating.

Once you've got room for actual levels, then start to leave room for all the elements ... with enough air around them. You've got pretty colors smashed up against the glass, but it's all flat against the glass ... and no one can see through the glass to the depths behind.

Nickleback is a good model for this, so I'd listen to them to get ideas ...

... and then do it better than they do.

Everything you need is here, bud. Good start, but lighten up the touch a bit and you'll get a better sound ... for no, it's not pro ...

Yet.

:D

Best,

Kev-

Good song. I think you did a nice job retrofitting instruments around a preexisting vocal. I don't think the drums are holding up the rythym section as well as they could. The snare sounds squashed, and the clicky kick doesn't suit the material imo. I think the crunchy guitar sounds great and I loved the melodies. There's a funny littly chirp noise on the right @ 3.26 you might want to take out.

Hey guys thanks for the listen. I am currently mixing it again and trying to take in all that you have suggested. I think i have nailed it...the only thing i am unsure of is the kick. Is it solid and present enough or does it need a little more click.

Hakim...thanks, what i meant does it sound as though it could be in rotation in a radio station along side bands like Creed, Linkin Park, Seether, Nickleback and the likes
I guess my question was is the quality good enough? I switched to Soundclick

Chili... thanks i think i addressed the loud intro, and i think if you listen on something other than headphones the delays and verbs aren't nearly as distracting.

JordanD...again i addressed the intro vox, as far as the rythym comments i don't know what you are saying??? Thanks for the listen anywho.

1,2,1234... I know what you are saying with the lyrical content. Thats none of my business though. I just set his disturbing thoughts to music. I agree that there could be a little more lyrical creativity for sure. I was thinking of a solo break too, just a couple of licks, nothing like 80's shred marathon stuff.

Christopher...sorry it works for everyone else????

Ido1957...I addressed the clickiness of the kick in this new mix, which i think will reduce the apparent volume of it. Thanks for the listen, and the thoughts. I appreciate it.

K-dub...As always i appreciate your thoughts. I know i can get a little compressor/limiter crazy in an effort to try and achieve modern rock levels. I have pulled back a bit, fixed the drums, and tried a little phaser/flange and chorusing on the intro guitars, and also put a little delay on the intro vox. I also boosted the bass guitar as well.

Bulls Hit...Thanks for the listen. I think i fixed the snare...it definately is more prominent now, and i lost a little of the click in the kick. I am still searching for the chirp you spoke of, perhaps it is some kind of artifact that was added in the transferring process...because i can't hear it in the original. We'll see.

Here be thy link!!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=908551

Love it, exactly my music! :D
Singer reminds me of Scott Stapp (I'm a big fan!) And the song does remind me of Creed and that for me is more than good.;)
Love the guitars, although they sound a bit too in front for me. Recording is great anyway. Nice job!

Joe

I thought it it sounded like Scott's Scottish Cousin Jock.
the "in my head" repetitions sound too Linkin Park/rap metal lite after a couple of goes.
Different phrases might work - just have to be careful.
The gunshot ending could be a bit bigger (followed by a whispering female voice saying "there, there now, go to sleep") Well. the gunshot bigger anyway.
Stay away from Nickleback - any more faux angst would damage the fellow's lyrical intentions.

Thanks for the listen.

Joeym...did you listen to the link from the top of the post or the latest?? I think i addressed the drums, and guitars issue. The new link is below. I too thought this fellow sounded alot like Scott Stapp.

RayC...maybe the gunshot could be a bit larger, i don't know about the womens voice
The singer really likes the megaphone effect on the in my head now parts so i don't think i can remove them...but i hear you on the repititious nature of the song in general.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=7204816&q=hi&newref=1

Back