New Rock Band Needs Feedback On Recording... Also FREE DOWNLOAD!

the_revolution

Hello everyone! We are an independent hard rock band duo with grunge and classic rock influence and heavy riffs known as Something Revolution and we just officially launched our band this month with our first single, "Almost Alright." We'd really appreciate any feedback on the mix or the song's content as I write the music and record, mix, and master all of our songs in our home studio. Each instrument was recorded separately.

I've had experience recording for the past 5 years but I consider this my most important project thus far so I'd really appreciate anything that can help us.

Thanks,

Andy
:drunk:

LISTEN TO THE SONG IN MY SIGNATURE BELOW:

I really like the song. Great energy. Great guitar groove. Really cool. Great playing and singing.

The mix in general is missing some low mids. Like that 300hz - 600hz octave. It gives it just a hint of harshness.

The kick is kind of loud. It sounds louder than the snare. It's quite a bit louder than the bass. I think the kick could come down quite a bit and the bass could come up 3-4 dbs or so.

I'd turn down/off the reverb on the vocal. But that's just me.

OK!!! So I really want to thank everyone tremendously for their input. I took the advice from people from 3 forums and have had much success (I believe!) with making this track killer. I feel that everyone seemed to get what I was going for and that really does help so I feel very fortunate to have such amazingly constructive criticism. I think many people described us better than we even could...

[...side-note: we'd appreciate any input on how we should classify our music... like idk... what brand of rock would you call this???]​

Furthermore I am beyond pleased to hear how many people truly dug this track... which is probably even more important than the recording of it. Nonetheless, I have updated the mix based on the feedback I've gotten as well as my own observations and have done the following to the mix:

-increased clarity with better EQ and compression techniques on all instruments
-added a touch more distortion to the bass
-SERIOUSLY cleaned up my drums... re-mixed/EQed the entire kit
-more defined complimentary EQ with the kick/bass
-added more low mids
-(hopefully) mixed the instruments better

I was told that "it doesn't have the typical earmarks of Ozone" (which I've been working on perfecting mastering Ozone for a while now... the key is to NOT overdo anything at all on it and NEVER use the presets... ever) ...I didn't do much to the master except for subtle EQ and compression threshold adjustments to compliment the new mix.

Listen to the new mix in my signature (below) and let me know what y'all think... oh, and follow us and/or comment on SoundCloud if you like :)

Again thank you all so so much.

Andy:drunk:

*to listen to the old version to compare type in on soundcloud (after the .com) somethingrevolution/almost-alright-sc1/s-M8W88
sorry... can't type in a link until 10 posts :/

ps - what is the best website to post this track on so I can have another link with better quality than soundcloud? (preferably free)

Back