New recording - advice wanted on mix

Strat Man

This song is an amalgumation of an acoustic demo I did a month ago and a full band recording done in a studio a couple of weeks ago (of the same song). Unfortunately the only source I have for the studio recording is a mixed version which comprises of drums, bass and guitar. I took the best parts of the demo (including the vocal track) and added them to the mix for this song.
The main part of the studio runs from the start till 1:40. At that point I introduced the acoustic guitars from the demo and overdub some lead parts. The studio part comes back in at 2:34 and runs till the end. At that point I added a lead part. There is also a dist. guitar added in all the studio parts.
After mix-down I eqed the track and hard limited (probably not the right thing to do pre master..).
Anyway I don't know a whole lot about mixing, just do it by ear completely. I also dont own any flat response speakers so I'm relying on headphones and some close to flat hi-fi speakers.
Any advice on how to make this mix better as a whole, keeping in mind that I have no control over the levels drums and bass (there are also a couple of low mixed guitars) as these are all in the studio mix-down track (and no I don't have access to the master tracks!).

Hopefully thats everything you'll need to know! Anyway advice would be much appreciated.

- Neill

Let's see... I think the drums are a bit loud. And I could do with some ambience of some kind on the snare. A wee bit of verb, something.

There's a harsh high-endy thing on the vox. Not sure what I'm hearing there exactly - maybe just an eq problem.

I think the thing that I'm noticing the most is that the drums are way out in front and very dry and the rest of the mix is kind of mashed together and indistinct, comparitively.

I'm not sure what to advise, being as you don't have access to the master tracks. That's a toughie. But definitely stay away from mixing on headphones. This mix has some of the telltale signs of mixing on cans.

I'd like to hear the next mix if you do one, so keep us posted, eh?

Chris

Would you recommend lowering the studio track lessen the impact of the drums or is there any standard eqing I could do for this (ie lowering drum intensity in a finished mix?).
The vocals are completely eq free at the moment with the exception of some reverb.

If this helps, heres what I have to play with - Tracks:

- Studio (all drums & bass, some guitars mixed at lower levels - a clean and distorted guitar). Enters @ beginning; exits @ 1:42; Re-enters @ 2:34 through to end.
- Acoustic guitar. Enters @ 1:42; Exits @ 2:34
- Lead vocals
- Backing vocals
- Distorted guitar (the one mixed left - the other is the studio mix guitar). Plays in all distortion parts.
- Flange guitar one. Enters @ 1:50; Exits @ 2:34
- Flange guitar two. Enters @ 2:08; Exits @ 2:34
- Guitar solo. Enters @ 2:43 through to end.

Hopefully this makes sense.
I've got two more to mix and add parts to after this one so if I can get this right it would be great. I'm trying to make the best of what was supposed to be a good studio recording, I'd like to get the entire track to a semi professional quality if thats even possible with what I've got to use.

- Neill

Okay, if I'm reading you right, you've got the bass and drums (and some guitars) on the same track?

Yikes.

Man, I dunno what to tell you. The rhythm section is the guts of most songs and it's the area I always have to do the most work with as far as individual volume adjustements, eqing, etc. I gotta be honest with you Strat, I don't see you getting this to semi-pro quality without access to each track seperately. I don't think anyone could.

Sorry I'm not more helpful. I'm at work so I can't hear the song again, but when I get home I'll post more if any ideas occur to me.

Chris

Back