New to production and need help please

dll

hi, I have written music for a while, but only been producing for a few months. I need a little help in getting my mix right. please can you give me a little feedback on the following track? thank you so much guys and look forward to hearing your thoughts

Attachments

• I Don't Want to Stop you.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 22
First of all Dll - great song. Really easy to listen to and well recorded. My observations are this. The acoustic during the verses has a bit of a ring to it, particular noticeable during the intro. I am not sure if it's an affect but you might want to pull it back a bit. Also, to me anyway, the higher end of your mix (hi-hats, cymbals, etc) feels a little harsh - maybe pull it back a little.

Other than that, it's a great mix and a fantastic song. Nice work.

One of the drum samples you're using in the verses has kind of a nasty click to it. fake drums are.... fake. But not horrible. Drum pattern in the chorus is a little busy. A bit over done.

I thought the singing was good. I like how it doubles up in the chorus.

I think the vocal, throughout the song, is getting slightly covered by the instruments. I'd pull the instruments back 1-2 dbs or so.

Overall a nice song.

edit - acoustic guitar is slightly brittle sounding. A bit high in the 2khz - 3khz area.

Elmedia and TripleM, thank you so much for the feedback, it was exactly what I needed. Not sure how this works, but I have made the changes you have both suggested and reposted. Not much I can do about the drum loops though, would love to have a drummer.

So I am hoping this sounds better?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to work out my speakers now, I don't have a perfect room setup, so your feedback is invaluable.

Thank you again,
D

Attachments

• I Don't Want to Stop You - 2nd mix.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 7
No problem. That's what this forum is for. Changes sound better. My only comment as triple M stated before, your acoustic, particularly during the verses, still too harsh and brittle. Do you have a good pair of monitoring headphones? If you are working in an environment where the acoustics are questionable it is the next best option - A good pair of monitors in a treated room is always preferable ;-)

Not sure who did the vocals for you but beautiful - very silky voice. What DAW and platform are you using BTW?

Hi,

Thanks man, well i did take the acoustic back a little in the 2-3khz range and also took the backwards reverb effect back a little too, but maybe not enough?

I am working in logic now for the last few months, before that I have a multitrack recorder for a few months, but using one of those probably makes you learn quite quickly.

I have an ok pair of headphones, but literally two weeks ago got a pair of rokit 5s. working in a small room, so I think I just need to get more used to how they are supposed to sound. listening to cds a lot at the moment to gauge what the room is doing. Your comments are helping too though, thanks.

my singer is a lovely girl called Katie, very smooth voice I agree. I have attached the latest thing we did at the weekend, if you fancy hearing her again :) I think this is actually a better performance, if not quite as good a song maybe.

Going on your feedback, I would expect it to be a little heavy at the top end and slightly snappy in the higher mids?

D

Attachments

• Killing Me.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
Back