New original tune

I love your vocal on this! Nice song. The drums need to settle better in the mix though. The vocal has a nice reverb tail and room feel, but the drums are in a big wet room. I would say dry them out a bit. Maybe just tempering the high end out would be enough. As a drummer, I die inside not hearing live drums on a tune like this, but when you are doing it all yourself... I understand. It needs a little rhythm diversity. Timing is good, maybe too good for blues. Guitar / bass level and tones seem good. Nothing jumped out at me. Keys are providing a good bed. Good job!

Cool voice. Does the distorted guitar actually clip a couple of time early on?
You should link up with a drummer through HR and get some swing into the kit as this is all that's holding the song back.

Thanks ... I know the drums are a bit "bland" ... I'll probably end up hiring a drummer at a later point. Any suggestions re. Drummers?

Re. Clipping ... I'll have to listen again and check it out. I changed the tone and settings yesterday and may have overdone it.

The vocals suit the tune - bluesy and a bit rough tone a little like Billy Gibbons or Greg Allman. The guitar playing is equally tasty.... Yep a real drummer would complete the package but as it is now it's got 75% of the mix solid. 25% would be drummer ):D:D:D:D

It's a great song the only thing I don't like is that standard ez drummer kit. You might try using a different kit or doing a little more editing on it. Compare it to your favorite blues recording that is close to this song and you'll be able to talk ez drummer into sounding better. You have more control over the kit when you send the pieces of the kit into separate channels.

Nice song Jim. Reminds me of Boz Some Change.

Yeah the only thing that I would remark on is the ambiance on the snare of the first mix. It has a wide resound where all else is normal.

HTH

I like this a lot. The main issue I have is the snare. I'd pan it closer to center and drop it back a bit in the mix. Beyond that I'd pull the kit a wee bit more in the mix. That said, it's still very well done. Kudos!

Thanks all for listening and providing constructive criticism ... very much appreciated. Well, I took much of the advice offered and re-did the mix and edited some fills ... Ithink it sounds much better. I'll listen again tomorrow and edit as needed -- please feel free to make suggestions!

http://soundcloud.com/jim-lindley/waiting4-2

Last edited:
The only thing I am hearing now is that if I close my eyes and imagine a stage, the drums overall or just the reverb tail is not the same as the vocal / guitar. Still a little bright. Everything else has a nice rolloff on the high end, but not the drums. I would also pan the drums more to center, just a bit. It is just a little wide in the mix. Even almost mono drums would sound awesome, it would fit the soundstage pretty good I think. Nice work on the drums. They have a pretty good feel to them now.

Thanks all for listening and providing constructive criticism ... very much appreciated. Well, I took much of the advice offered and re-did the mix and edited some fills ... Ithink it sounds much better. I'll listen again tomorrow and edit as needed -- please feel free to make suggestions!

waiting4 by Jim Lindley on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Very nice... totally nails the contemporary public radio weekend blues show vibe...
Go get yerself some spins!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.

The only thing I am hearing now is that if I close my eyes and imagine a stage, the drums overall or just the reverb tail is not the same as the vocal / guitar. Still a little bright. Everything else has a nice rolloff on the high end, but not the drums. I would also pan the drums more to center, just a bit. It is just a little wide in the mix. Even almost mono drums would sound awesome, it would fit the soundstage pretty good I think. Nice work on the drums. They have a pretty good feel to them now.

Always a good thing to get a drummer's perspective. I will see what I can do. Thanks again.

Guitar playing has a nice Santana feel without encroaching on his territory. Lots of comments on the drums. I use ezd also and love it, however, if ever there was a time for real drums, this song would be it. If not available, I suggest going back and doing a lot of tweeking and editing. Hints on what to do??? Hmmm, play air drums and figure out each hit. Visual the drummer. That probably doesn't help, sorry.

Vocals are performed well, but I'd like to hear more low end on the vox, they're pretty mid-rangey. Takes away from some of the emotion of the performance.

cool song, nice playing.

Very nice... There is a guitar that is counter-playing with the vocal. I would try and get the treatment and place of that guitar in the mix closer to the vocal treatment... so they are swapping the same place on the sound stage as they come in and out.

I appreciate to feedback and tips ... Thanks guys...

I'm looking into having the drums recorded by a live drummer.

Back