A new one!

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
A couple of months ago I posted a tune called "Dennys" by a band that was in my studio at the time. We've been recording ever since then, and they want to do a full-length CD. I've got several songs (in MY mind) ready to go, but want some feedback on the mixes.

This one's called "Tell Me"...let me know what you think! (128kbs MP3 stream-not a download....)

Tell Me

Last edited:
Listening -

PSP Piano-Verb (freeware - DX & VST) would be cool on the intro if this is in a DAW...

Pretty good mix - Drummer is "hitting like a girl" in some places... Gotta "let it go - let it fly" a bit more...

Some distortion around 1:45 - Clipped?

B-Vox around 2:40 could come up a little - Okay, all of them...

A little polish would perk it right up.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

John-

Thanks for the feedback. You may actually be seeing this when it's done-we're over in the Quad-Cities, and I was gonna send this off to the Chicago area to get mastered...but more about that via e-mail...

I caught the distortion you heard...we may have to retrack a section of vocals, although I didn't see any clipping on the meters when I rendered this...

It IS done on a DAW, so I'll give that reverb a shot...I may do that tomorrow AM and re-upload...

The b-vox have been a challenge. The kid that sings them has a...um.....piercing......voice. I'm trying to keep them behind the lead vox, but still audible. It's been interesting, to say the least.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I... Um... Understand your situation on the B-vox...

This will sound strange, but get the (www.pspaudioware.com) paino verb - Try it on the intro -

THEN - There's a preset in it (can't remember what it's called - You'll know it - "Near Verb" or something) that just does weird but cool things to tracks that might otherwise be... You know... "anti-wonderful" or something. try it on the B-vox track - it might surprise you.

And, then again, it might suck. But hey, it's worth a shot, no?

John -

Drummer is "hitting like a girl" in some places

I agree with this -- the keys and sax and voice really take over, which ain't a bad thing, just an observation.

Unlike many songs 'round here (my own included!), I found myself getting more into the song as it went on. I like the slow part toward the end. This really grabbed my attention -- the lyrics play a big part in this. Ooh - got to the end! I think a fade out would work better -- too sudden!

The sax is killing me. It sounds too upfront.

Otherwise, a great tune -- very lively and shows off the talent in your group. Best of luck to y'all.

G

G-

Thanks for your input.

Sax WAS mixed a little hot-I brought it down about 1.5db.

I thought the same thing about the fade out vs. abrupt end, but they like the end the way it is, so....I just twiddle theknobs and keep my mouth shut... :D

Cool groove. The keys are pretty weak IMO. Timing issues. Bass could have more...bass. Like the ending, well not the very ending.
Good show all around, as far as mixing goes =D> .

The original link is now the remix, incorporating many of the suggestions from this board and others.

Added Pianoverb (and the "almost verb" to the b-vox), different panning, sax down and verbed, drum up a touch.

Can anyone tell the difference? :cool:

Wish I could A/B... Piano intro still sounds a bit dry, but you know, that's just a "me" thing...

This could be because I was at blistering volumes last night, but am I hearing a "hiss wash" coming in and out here?

B-vox also still seems a bit dry...

Drum mix near the end changes drastically... Wow... Don't remember that... Maybe I didn't hit the end the first time... Yikes!

Well, the only "show-stopper" I can hear is the drum mix at the end... It sounds like he all of a sudden started HITTING them and it's a bit overwhelming...

John -

Back