New old tune....not sure about the snare on this one.

R

RAMI

Hey!

I re-tracked the drums and re-wrote/re-tracked the vocals for this, but the bass and guitars are older tracks from about a year ago.

I wanted to try a more "ringy" sound on my snare, so I took all the dampening off it (not that I ever have a lot of dampening on it) and let it ring. But now, I found myself turning down the sanre in this mix because the ringing was annoying me. Wondering if I should re-track the drums or if this works as is.

And of course, any other mix issues you hear......

Thanx

YOUR TIME

Works "as is". Not annoying at all. Very good drumming, vocals, and the rest. Reminds me of old James "King of Soul" Brown stuff.

Cheers!

It's bright versus snappy (my reference if that makes sense) so I would say trim a little treble off or redo with a bit of the dampening. Loving the groove and the vocals are excellent...:D:D:D:D

Thanx a lot guys.

James Brown is always a compliment. I'm a huge James fan. I''d never attempt to sound like him, but if the influence accidentally comes out, that's great.

I hear exaclty what you're saying about the snare being bright and having less pop., IDO. I'm trying to get used to it, but I'm having trouble with the sound of it. If there's one song that needs the "pop" I usually get out of my snare, it's this kind of tune. I don't know what I was thinking wanting to get it to ring. :eek:

I'll wait for other comments and give it a fresh listen tomorrow and then decide if I'm going to re-track the drums.

RAMI.
It's one excellent song & performance!
The snare works well the bright ring fits but I get what you mean about your usual snare POP.
If it were mine I'd love it & leave it as is but it's yours & you;re having doubts so go with your gut!

Dude... After listening to a bunch of crap all day, this song is just awesome. My only nit - turn the snare up!!! It's too buried for your style, dude. I wanna hear that sucker pop! Absolutely loved the open sound of it all. Grooooovy! Thanks for sharing, Rami.

I'd buy this song.

If you hadn't mentioned the snare I wouldn't have paid it any undue attention other than to note how good it sounds. It certainly pops through in a good way, kind of like Chad Smith's snare on Blood Sugar. I can't remember the last time I heard any issues with your mixes, everything is so pristine and well separated. Cool tune too, performances, composition, structure all top shelf. Don't want to get too analytical on it though, I just enjoyed the hell out of it

I think the snare sounds great. I'd like it up front in the mix a little more. This is a good snare sound for you. It's got pop and just enough depth and tone to sound sweet. Roll with it.

The snare works well the bright ring fits

turn the snare up!!! It's too buried for your style, dude. I wanna hear that sucker pop! Absolutely loved the open sound of it all. .

It certainly pops through in a good way, kind of like Chad Smith's snare on Blood Sugar.

I think the snare sounds great. I'd like it up front in the mix a little more. This is a good snare sound for you. It's got pop and just enough depth and tone to sound sweet. Roll with it.

OK well, looks like I'm going to embrace the ring and cracnk up that snare. I did deliberately turn it dow, and proably too much. I gues I just need to get used to a different sound than what I'm used to.

Bulls' RHCP BSSM reference is great. I love that album, and if I had thought of it in that context, I probably would have liked this snare sound from the beginning. I'm going to re-mix with a louder snare when I get home later.

Thanx a million guys!!!!

I just up-loaded a new version with the snare mic turned up. I might have turned it up too much, but I figured, if I'm going to go with this sound, I might as well let it rip. I can turn it down if I have to.

YOUR TIME

Sounds great as always. What kind of mic do you use on the snare? I ask because I've been doing a lot of experimenting as of late with different snare mics.

woah, huge sound! personally I would take the snare down a peg or two, I think it fights with the vocal a bit. Other than that, great job RAMI!

Listening to the new mix on crappy earbuds, and dude... I *LOVE* the snare sound. Perfect in the mix. Pops, but doesn't cover anything up. Full of definition and attitude. So, where do I buy this song?

One word. Money. In four words: Money in the Bank. I like it. Tight performance, exceptional mix. Well done.
Thanx alot man. Which bank are you talking about exactly, because I know it ain't mine. :eek: :D

Great mix, love the snare sound
Thank you. I'm glad the sanre seems to be working for most poeple listening. I probably just have to get used to a sound I'm not used to hearing in my songs. :cool:

Sounds great as always. What kind of mic do you use on the snare? I ask because I've been doing a lot of experimenting as of late with different snare mics.
Thanx Track. I had to go check what I have on my snare. It's Audio Technica ATM 63HE. :eek: I think I bought it about 15 years ago for about $40. A few months back, I did an experiment with my 3 SM57's, a Shure PG48, and this Audio Technica ATM 63HE. The ATM sounded the best for the snare, and the PG48 sounded the best on my guitar cab. They're both really cheap mics and they both sounded better than my 3 57's.

This isn't an anti-endorsement on 57's or anything. Just really surprised that the 2 other mics sounded better on everything.

I mic the snare bu pointing the mic straight down about 2 inches in from the rim. The mic is literally pointing at the floor (well, it's pointing at the drum, but it's pointing straight down at the skin). I've always done it that way, and any time I've tried to change to a more traditional position, like 45 degrees and more at the center of the drum, I never got something I like.

woah, huge sound! personally I would take the snare down a peg or two, I think it fights with the vocal a bit. Other than that, great job RAMI!
Thanx Terra. Yeah, I re-mixed it with the sanre deliberately a lot louder so that everyone can make a judgement on the sound of it. I'll bring it down about 2db and I still think it will be loud enough.
Listening to the new mix on crappy earbuds, and dude... I *LOVE* the snare sound. Perfect in the mix. Pops, but doesn't cover anything up. Full of definition and attitude. So, where do I buy this song?
Thanx a lot Poet. I've pretty much given up on the music "business", as far as my recordings are concerned. I do it for the love of it. I do have my songs for sale on my site, but it's a "choose a price" thing, so people can pay what they want, or download it for free if they choose.

Thanx a lot everyone!!! :cool:

For what it's worth, I just put up what I hope is the final mix before I put this to rest.

Thanx for all the advice and comments everyone! :cool:

YOUR TIME

Back