new to mixing clinic.

onmoris

i've been on the board for a while and have been doing home recording for a bit longer, though i've never posted in the mixing clinic, so i'm interested in getting some feedback from strangers about my work.

thanks all.

WHERE have you been? about time you showed up. i love the quality of the recording.

as for the playing, im really diggin the guitar and im lovin the chorus.
what really attracted my attention were the drums; shout back with some tips on the drum recording techniques.
great mix, keep up the good work! :D

Nice tune. Sounds pretty good to me. No real comments to help you, as I like the sounds.
Ed

I love the depth and atmosphere you have going...when your song started it sounded like something I would hear on the radio (I would love to be able to get that sound)...and nice guitar work.

My only pause (and of course just my opinion) is that the vocal recording doesn't quite measure up to the rest of the music...I'm no recording guru but (although the voice seems to be good and in tune) it just seems like the voice recording is a bit thin or something. If the music wasn't so good I probably wouldn't have noticed...its just in relation to the music that I notice the vocal recording quality as a bit off. The only other thing I found a bit distracting was one particular crash cymbal (probably a very small one) and some of the crash cymbal work toward the end of the song...just somethings you might consider...all in all you got a good thing going.

Wow. I really dig this tune. Nice songwriting. Excellent guitar tones. What's your setup? Drums sound great also. Very impressive. Singer has a good voice -- yeah, may sound a bit "thin" at times, but to me that sounds like an inherent quality of this singer's voice. In my opinion, the vocal sounds just fine contrasted with the thick guitar dynamics present in this song. The mix sounds very good. What's the setup for the drums?

Good song. Thoughtful lyrics, too (whatever that means). Perhaps it's my crappy headphones, but it almost sounds like the toms are clipping during a couple of the fills (perhaps once around 1:12?)(probably my imagination).

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Kevin

sounds great to me. wish the acoustic was more in there, and it didn't sound too huge, but for the song it fit (i listen to nick drake and damien rice so maybe that's my problem)

some of the electric parts would sound killer doubled and panned. especially when you have mutes or chunks.

cool stuff though, was hoping for some vocal harmonies, but it was pretty stinking good and a good mix and tone.

Hi onmoris

Really nice mix. And great sound and song. I see you did a Masters in Music Tech. If that helped you get this sound, I think I need one of them! Thanks for posting your song.

aspiring

Nice! Very nice!
I don't know what else to say!
I wish I had better ears and could hear any bed part and help you with suggestions.

Maybe you can help me. Please listen to my song and help me make it better.

Tell us about yourself.
Do you write and play everything and stuff like that?

See you!

I agree with Sikter. Give us some tech details of this recording. Maybe it's me, and working all those years around jet engines, but I think this recording is as good as it's gonna get. Overall A+. I'm gonna use this recording as a standard to shoot for in this genre. I'm downloading this one for my files. Thanks.
I notice it is being downloaded from nyu.edu. Is that New York University and are you taking classes there?

Good Tune

The only thing that I would comment on, and I am surprised only one other person said this (there must be a ton of guitarheads out there) :)

Is that the solo guitar is EXTREMELY overbearing.
This is NOTHING to be insulted about. It's great playing it's just WAY too much of it.

This is a really good song well written, and well recorded, give it a chance to breath as it has enough strength to do just that.

Again the guitar playing is great, but give it a little a time before blowing your load there...The initial riff assaults you right out of the gate.

You need to build it a bit toward a solo break, let some of the other instrumentations 'talk' at the end of the first couple of verses then start bringing in the git.

After all that rambling let me just say once again:
Great tune - Great recording.

thanks for all the replies.

i did this recording, not surprisingly, with limited budget and in my bedroom.

for those that have been waiting for a magical tip about drum recordings, it would be this. buy BFD, record to a click track and figure out how to sequence believable drum parts with midi.

this wasn't a song i wrote, but a song from an album i arranged recorded and produced. if you liked the tune and want to check out more of that stuff, the guy that wrote it is Etan Ofrane. http://www.etanofrane.com the whole album is up there if you like.

i also didn't do the guitar solo - someone else did, a great blues player, but i agree it might be a touch to much. as for what i did - piano, bass (which both came from Sampletank), drums (all sequenced/recorded with midi), acoustic and electric rhythm parts.

i don't have a great mic or mic preamp or converters to speak of, except for what came with my Mbox.

as for my background - i am getting a masters in music technology at new york university, but don't let the title fool you. its a masters from an academic university - not a recording/trade school. for undergraduates, you could pursue a bachelors in audio engineering, but the masters is research based and is geared towards other things in the field of music technology - acoustics, computer and software synthesis, sound design, interactive music, film composition, and a little bit of recording if that's what your interested in. but a masters in music tech isnt going to make your home recordings any better (unless you plan on recording crazy avant garde electronica or conceptual music). that just takes time, practice, critical listening, and some decent equipment. keep in mind i did my recording with software, a 2 channel converter and 2 mics.

Hey,

I think it sounds pretty good and fresh...biggest thing would be to spend more time on the vocal, get some background tracks going and double up on the chorus, or something to that effect, there seems to be little overall dynamic contrast...let it build a little more on its way to the chorus and then back down for the verse. Dont be afraid to put some stank on it, your voice can do it. also use eq or verb to fatten your tone a little and dont sing through your nose. I hope u are recording the vox standing up!
It'd be cool to hear some bass licks or something improvisational other than the one lead guitar. other than playing the same scale through the whole song he sounds pretty good! his licks command as much or more attention than your lead vox so be careful there

all in all pretty darn good,mon!

Wow, I don't think I've seen such positive threads in this forum... entirely deserved too

I love the way you got the overall mix to sound so clean, I guess the trick is to do more with less. I agree with the earlier comments about the guitar solo being a bit too much. It's like Mark Knopfler gone wild... The lead guitar sounds a little harsh though on my speakers... I would try to get it just a tad warmer. Other than that, very good job. Nice vocals too.

Also, if this is BFD then that's what I've been looking for for a long time. Thanks for the tip.

Nice Mix job. Every blends well. I also like the sound guitar. If I had to pick one thing that I liked the least, it would be the words to the chorus. Welcome to the city is repeated too many times. But I really like the mix.

Back