New Mix... Something Real

This a drum machine?

Good Vocals.

I'd make the fingerpicked clean guitar a little louder.

Cool song, good mix, something sounds off though, can't put my finger on it. Doesnt sound real authentic I think.

Still, good stuff here. 1 Thumb up.

i really like the guitar sound you have. is that a tube amp?

Yes, one guitar is a Laney 100W and the other guitar tracks are from a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier.

This a drum machine?

Good Vocals.

I'd make the fingerpicked clean guitar a little louder.

Cool song, good mix, something sounds off though, can't put my finger on it. Doesnt sound real authentic I think.

Still, good stuff here. 1 Thumb up.

Real Drums.

I shall up the clean picked parts in the next mix version.

...let me know when you can put your finger on what bugs you. :D

I'd put a little reverb on the drums then, they sound very very close.

I think what I may be thinking:
- There's such a difference in sound between the soft and loud parts.

That, and the drums sound like a drum machine because of how close they are. Your Timing's perfect though, that contributed to why I thought that a little bit.

Idunno, everything sounds TOO clean maybe. Try a little verb.

I'd put a little reverb on the drums then, they sound very very close.

I think what I may be thinking:
- There's such a difference in sound between the soft and loud parts.

That, and the drums sound like a drum machine because of how close they are. Your Timing's perfect though, that contributed to why I thought that a little bit.

Idunno, everything sounds TOO clean maybe. Try a little verb.

The drums are perhaps a tad too loud; it is a mix in progress.

One year later...

I have retooled the studio some and changed up some of my workflow.
Here is my newest mix of the song:

Nov08 Mix

The toms are a bit strong, but overall I am very pleased with the improvement.
This version has some basic mastering. The older one does not.

Since the old link does not work anymore, here is the old mix:

Oct07 Mix

I like it. The singer is good. The guitars are cool. But, it sounds a bit dated. Almost like Matchbox 20. Maybe like too much like Matchbox 20. Oh, wait, now I hear Hootie and the Blowfish. Yeah, it's a bit 90's. :)

I like it. The singer is good. The guitars are cool. But, it sounds a bit dated. Almost like Matchbox 20. Maybe like too much like Matchbox 20. Oh, wait, now I hear Hootie and the Blowfish. Yeah, it's a bit 90's. :)

Thanks for the kind words.
We recorded this back around 2000/2001. This was one of my better projects as a full band I like to practice my mixing with. As I learn new things or get a new peice of gear, I like to go back to somthing I've worked on before as a baseline to new things out.

Vocals came out great. They sit in their own space and are clear. Nice. Toms are strong like you said, but they're in tune and sound nice. I'd leave them alone.

Great mix on a great song.
Cheers,

Back