New mix for an older song...

skids

We are working on some brand new tunes, but I put some more memory in my computer and wanted to check the effects on speed, plug-ins, etc. So I remixed an older tune (new to this board) to check things out and practice my skills. :rolleyes: :)

Anyhow, please take the time to check this one out if you can. Give me your thoughts on mix, song, etc. Thanks for your time.

"Watch You Fall"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2933&alid=-1

very good song.. my only beef is the guitar sounds out of tune.. it's out enough to mention.. I would definitely redo that.. everything else sounds good.. nice drums.. great vocals! good melody..

Hi Todd,
Good tune man.....
I dig Mika's vox in a big way....she has a wonderful sense of harmony too.....
do I hear you singing on this too? :D

the guit is slightly out of tune as Sam says....also sounds direct....
lot's of pick noise....
awesome piano performance...I would bring it up in the mix.......great melody too....

Bass tone and performance is really good...couldn't be better
The drums are sounding real good too man...
the crash at 1:46 is a little weak....and too heavy at 2:43...

damn...this is a good tune....

My best to Mika and the wee waif,
Take it easy man,
Joe

She has a nice voice. Great tone, and nice smooth harmonies. My only beef, as I said before, is the deliberate mispronounciation of words. Just a pet peeve of mine. Damn Alanis Morrisette, she started the whole thing. :)

I think the lead vox could be brought up with respect to the backing vox just a bit. Either the lead's too soft or the backing are too loud. Just a hair though.

The guitars are interfering with the vocals just a touch. And it's a bit out of tune. It's very evident on the first chord of the song.

The piano is a real nice touch. Sits well and it's a nice part.

The mix overall has a nice warm sound, which is needed on a tune like this.

Tough to remember the earlier mix, but I think this one is better.

OK,

Nice tune, one guitar is a little out of tune and they are a little too hot--lots of pick noise, but I don't mind it. I would also bring the bass and piano up just a touch.

This is a good tune, might be worth re-recording.

what a pretty voice!!

Nice tune - lots of character - love the swingy-waltzy rhythm - awesome backgrounds and harmonies!! - Nice building and development - tons of muscial interest. Did I mention I love that voice!! These are real drums, who's the drummist? They're quite nice - gotta love that breaking glass and crash!! Hmmmm - what was the last 3/4 or 12/8 tune out here??

I vote for just a tad more bass - the bottom seems just a tad lacking.

Damn those vocals are nice! Cool decay on the piano - great ending.

Really pretty tune - Lemme know if you do anything else to this - it's a keeper!!
~Milan

skids

The mix sounds pretty well balance to my ears. Nothing really stands out as wrong here.

I think I remember the singer from the last song you posted in the clinic. She is a really great singer with a very good range and sense of harmony and style.

I remember the last track having a lot of difficulty understanding her words and I must confess, I am still have some trouble in this area. It's not a big deal though as she has such a pretty voice, it's still fun to listen to her.

I never did have a great ability to understand a lot of women so, after some thought here, it's probably just me!

Great song!

Cheers! :)

I would try this tune without the acu guit altogether and feature the piano the guit is fighting with the lead vocal for room

on second listen it is even more distracting

seems to me the guitar is doing a percussion part so why not have the snare carry the same rhythm that the guitar occupies now

again, every where (i.e. intro) that the guitar is featured the piano would work better and then at the outro you could add the acu (two left and right way down in the mix)

at least take out the guitar and see how the lead vox sit

Ooh, what a voice!!! Great harmonies, too. Struggling to hear lyrics. Kind of Celtic vibe, I like the 3/4 feel.

I'm wanting to hear more drums, and more bottom, especially from the bass drum. Guitar tone's not quite there - is it direct? It's not bad, just lacking a bit of color. And the tuning thing.

Overall, an excellent tune. Well on its way to being an excellent track, too. Very very cool.

Daf

Ho boy! Meeeeka is soundin sah+wheat here. What a pretty voice. Great melodies, great meandering around whimsically in a musical manner.

I'm gonna agree about the acoustic comments, almost a clicky sound to it because of the trebles.

Maybe a bit too much ambience at 2:30 in the reverb or somethin there.

2:50 im hearing some of those Tori influences comin out. Doing a great job there.

Keep in practice, don't let those skillz atrophy!

I really like this. Great vocals. Drums, bass, and piano are working together very well. Guitar is a little heavy on the pick sounds. Those ride hits during the break seemed a little much.

All in all sounds really good. Hope that juiced up computer is working for you.

Thanks guys. Alright, first things first. The acoustic guitar obviously sucks. :) Let me give you a little background on this. We originally recorded the acoustic. Then we mixed down the whole song, cleaned up the extra garbage on the tracks and deleted unnecessary tracks (the click :eek: ). Then we were like "the acoustic is out of tune". Shit, we have no click intro as I had trimmed the beginning of the track and the track just started with acoustic. So we re-recorded the acoustic (I think in a rush with bad mic placements) by trying to punch in after the first chord or two. Then we blended the two tracks. Hence TripleM noted the first chord was way out. The guitar is still out some I think because (from my memory) we tried tuning from the computer in stead of the piano. We can't use our tuner because it does not match the paino.

To make a long story short we probably need to figure out how to re-record the acoustic. Any ideas? I guess I have figure out the tempo and insert a click and manually line it up. :eek: :( :o :)

BS See above. Thanks a ton for the compliments. They mean a lot.

Pie Guy Thanks for the compliments. See above on acoustic. Reagrding crashes - The one may could come up. I likje the other one high because it is after the line "car crash" :) By the way, they are brushes on the drums. Yeah, that's me you hear. :eek: :)

Ismellelephant :eek: Thanks for the compliments.

Trip I don't think she will ever sing things straight and clean. Her style you know! I guess it will always bug you. :) Hopefully you will still listen. :) I hear you on the vocals. I may check that out. See above about guitar. Thanks. By the way this is the first time you guys heard this song.

sloop Thanks for the compliments. See above regarding guitar! :)

MC Thanks for stopping by and the compliments. The next song should have that djembe! The drummer is Charlie. Cool guy and now a good friend. I am on bass and the wife does the rest! Oh yeah, Charlie and I are both on the chorus harmonies as well.

Casper Thanks for the compliments. We appreciate it. I hear you on the vocals. I think if you have the lyrics in front of you it starts to make sense, but I hear what you are saying. It's her style! :)

elephant See above about the acoustic guitar. I think a better recorded guitar will help. I hear what you are saying though. Thanks for the insight.

daffy duck Thanks for the compliments. See above on guitar. Yeah, the bass drum is a little lacking. Hmmm. Should I bring the bass up also? It has been mentioned.

Khomp Thanks for stopping by and the kind words. See above on acoustic. Yeah, she always throws a little Tori-ism in there! :)

fprod The compliments mean a lot. Thanks. See above regarding the acoustic. Ride hits. See my response to joro (aka Pie Guy). I like em! :) Computer is an improvement for sure. I was surprised actually.

Nice song.

Guitar is bit out of tune.

Soundwise, I think you can improve the guitarsound by using a compressor to control the attacks. Don't overcompress it though.

There's some midrange in the vocals that can be cut.

Bass sounds good. Good part too!

Perhaps by panning the guitar and piano a little wider you can make the mix more open. Seems like both vocal parts are mixed dead centre too. I'd personally pan those.

But, again a nice song and mix Skids!

Really good tune. You know I love your music. I like the back up vocal, but I personally think it comes in much too early. There's just too much happening too soon IMO. Things get pretty crowded right off the bat. I'd maybe spread that guitar out at least. Things also seem a bit excessivly compressed for this, especially her voice. I don't think that level of compression would be necessary with more space in the mix. I don't think it's far off, but I can't breath here quite like I want to either. Maybe cut the acoustic level just a touch, spead it out and go from there? (after you tune the guitar and retrack it.) This is another terrific tune from you guys, but the mix isn't quite there yet.

Hey Skids,
Nice tune man. I agree w/ the adding compression comment on the ac. guits.. it'll help to punch up their meat a little. I like the singers voice alot, Very Alanis... and that is Always cool! ...it seems to be sitting a little in the back from here. I dont think its a level thing, more like eq territory. ...might be arguing with the guits a little. Again, I'll bet that a little compression on the guits would help that alot. Very nice tune here man:)
g

skids said:
We can't use our tuner because it does not match the piano.

I don't understand this.. when you tune to a tuner, it doesn't match the piano? as in synth/sample piano or real?

B.SABBATH said:
I don't understand this.. when you tune to a tuner, it doesn't match the piano? as in synth/sample piano or real?

It is a Yamaha P80. So no it is not real. :) If you tune the guitar/bass to the tuner it will not match the P80. Might be a bad/cheap tuner.

Ped Thanks for the compliments. I am with you on the guitar compression. I think it could benefit from more, but I really think it needs a total retrack (even if it was in tune :) ). I think you are right on panning the guitar. I miced ot over the shoulder and in front. I will pan them farther apart. I think they are around 50 now. The paino is spread all the way which is usually how I like it. Although I am going to start looking at other options.

SLuiCe You might be right on the back up vocal. I'll look at that. Guitars need to be spread for sure. You guys are right on. Compression on the vocal is only 2:1 from what I remember. I'll see about that. Cut the acoustic and spread it. Yeah, that's the ticket. I think with compression on the acoustic at an overall lower level it will sit better. Thanks guys!

G Thanks for stopping in. :) I agree with all your comments. I think the vocals will sit better once I fix the guitar. Maybe a few adjustments on the background to main vocals on the chorus.

Thanks a ton guys. Valuable stuff!

skids said:
Compression on the vocal is only 2:1 from what I remember. I'll see about that.

At what threshold, I wonder.

This really surprises me. Is it a condensor mic? Maybe it's the rest of the mix giving me the impression of heavy vocal compression. Or she's just got that kind of a voice. Or I'm just deaf. Anyway, again, great song!

Back