new mix of my song - please listen

sandwiches

recently, I submitted a working progress (http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=248119), and I got some great feedback.

Anyway, I've used all the feedback and re-mixed it. I would appreciate it if anyone could have a listen and let me know what they think...

(How Do I Make You Love Me?) at
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1509&alid=-1

in particular, I would like feedback on
- the mix itself
- the drumming
- the vocals
- the bass (is it too muddy?)

thanks very much!

- the mix itself
* personally, everything sounds dead center. personal preference here, but i like to hear things spread out in teh spectrum a little more so I can more easily distinguish the instruments. for me, it makes it easier to hear some of the nuances of each. as far as how it all mixes together, i like it. vocals sit on top, drums tucked in. guitars too. see bass.

- the drumming
* meh...they work. i'd push out the snare a little more. kick sounds nice. a little more high end for the cymbals/hats.

- the vocals
* mix wise they sit nicely on top of everything. maybe a tad hotter. good though

* IMO yes, it's muddy - no definition and at times it's a tad overpowering.

not too bad my friend. these suggestions are just my opinion...personal preference and all... good job!

cholo

- the mix itself
* personally, everything sounds dead center. personal preference here, but i like to hear things spread out in teh spectrum a little more so I can more easily distinguish the instruments. for me, it makes it easier to hear some of the nuances of each. as far as how it all mixes together, i like it. vocals sit on top, drums tucked in. guitars too. see bass.

- the drumming
* meh...they work. i'd push out the snare a little more. kick sounds nice. a little more high end for the cymbals/hats.

- the vocals
* mix wise they sit nicely on top of everything. maybe a tad hotter. good though

* IMO yes, it's muddy - no definition and at times it's a tad overpowering.

not too bad my friend. these suggestions are just my opinion...personal preference and all... good job!

cholo

that was quick.

thanks for the input. much appreciated.

yeah, i think i went a little too loud for the bass. it's not a real bass though so thats probably why it sounds like there's no definition. ive tried EQing it and compressing it so i think the onyl thing left to do, is to just make it softer...

I'm not sure if ths is the right thread?

again i'm only on cans at the moment.

but from what i can hear the bass is an improvement from the original but still it would be a little boomy or muddy.

vocals are fine except for the odd 3.5k? harmonic high maybe a De-esser (although i don't know a good one)
actually no just go along find the spots and turn down the volume at the local.

PERCUSSION OR CYMBOLS are fine level you will find as you fix the bottom the highs will sit out.

drums are ok i didn't mind the Snare roll as i didn't expect it but yeah maybe a different machine one that brings variance to each instance

don't be scared to pull the bass down

as a pop song like this won't need so much.

anyhow you can always re-track or put it back.

Overall mix is nice, though seems to be clipping a little. Everything seems to sit nicely, though that bass is far too prominent and the kick is suffering through it. I would be inclined to bring both the kick and the snare forward slightly, tho once you get the bass sorted this may solve the kick. I hate the Machine gun at the start. sorry.

The vocals, I really like. You could maybe do with a little reverb, but I do like the dryness it suits your voice.

The clean guitars are really nice, like the tracking and the acoustics, though not too sure about the distorted solo bit (widdly widdly), seems to be sitting too far back for me and could do with crisping up a tad.

Great Song, really like it.

Hope this helps.

Dee

have you thought about maybe taking the "Widdley" bit out? You have an "ooh" vocal going on in there, may work quite nicely without it. Just a thought ;)

Last edited:
theBlackBay - what is the odd 3.5k? I'm not sure what you're talking about sorry, can you elaborate? do you mean sometimes I'm breathing into the mic? I've lowered the volume of the bass - or actually, i just got rip of the compression - i think it was way too compressed - i dunno i feel this new version may have more definition?

deeExpus : yeah, regarding the shredding thing... it's been an issue of whether to take it out or not, but I think i decided that although it is kind of a weird direction to take the song, I kind of like it - I like to make my songs take detours - to kind of joust the attention of the listener... I also feel that just having the 'oooohhh's is just very typical and standard, and yeah, I feel it wouldn't add anything to the song. I've raised the volume of it.

I also just wanted to thank everybody for their input - mixing is kind of a blind exercise for me as i have no idea what i'm doing half the time and your input is really really helpful.

I've made a new version taking all your suggestions into account. I want this to pretty much be the final version as I'm pretty sick to death of working on it! But if you could give it a listen and if there's any major issues, could you please let me know?

The main changes are the intro - I really wanted the drum roll, but in the end, I've conceded I can't make it work unless I get a real drummer... so I've gotten another drum intro - let me know if it sounds okay.

I've uncompressed the bass, is it still too muddy?

Made the vocals a little bit louder too.

The song is at http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1509&alid=-1
under "How Do I make you love me"

sandwiches

How's it going :

nice redo of the beginning; I’m leaving here soon so want some free marketing advice as I’m a marketing "genius" (so they say.)

call the song "Love Pudding" you can use that... normally it would be a bit gross but in this case the song is kind of cute so it works.

also i have a two up master if you want to hear the potential of this track:

just tell me if you want to hear it. (i won't post it as people get a bit touchy about that sort of stuff) it's nice level wise and the mastering really brought out the potential i could have done more but I’m working with a 160k mp3 that was at -11RMS not that it was an issue as the RMS was pretty much all bass mess at the bottom i cleaned it up a lot.. i probably would have put a bit back via EQ but.. i think it's sounds 100%.

used my new multi floor variance theory on this one.
( I got some av gas and just fired her up) (the wall is a bit scorched but hey)

give me a yell if you want to hear it.

forget about the 3.5k it turned out to be ok i meant above 3.5k like 3.5 to 7k it's jussssssst essssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

it'ssssssssss fine.

on Second Review

i don't like to do half arsed jobs so if you want to hear it look at it as an indication of the song anyone will see the difference but because of the level and it being an MP3 there are limitations as to how far one can go.

i learnt some big lessons just now mastering this very interesting.

How's it going :

nice redo of the beginning; I’m leaving here soon so want some free marketing advice as I’m a marketing "genius" (so they say.)

call the song "Love Pudding" you can use that... normally it would be a bit gross but in this case the song is kind of cute so it works.

also i have a two up master if you want to hear the potential of this track:

just tell me if you want to hear it. (i won't post it as people get a bit touchy about that sort of stuff) it's nice level wise and the mastering really brought out the potential i could have done more but I’m working with a 160k mp3 that was at -11RMS not that it was an issue as the RMS was pretty much all bass mess at the bottom i cleaned it up a lot.. i probably would have put a bit back via EQ but.. i think it's sounds 100%.

used my new multi floor variance theory on this one.
( I got some av gas and just fired her up) (the wall is a bit scorched but hey)

give me a yell if you want to hear it.

forget about the 3.5k it turned out to be ok i meant above 3.5k like 3.5 to 7k it's jussssssst essssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

it'ssssssssss fine.

what's a two up master? what's -11RMS? dude, if you think you can improve the mix a bit, by all means, it'd be great. i'd love to hear it - i think it's a little quiet, does the "mastering" make it louder? when i mixed it down ,i really didn't know anything about what to do next, so i just hard limitted it till it was a reasonably loud song.

but yeah, oh and if you want me to provide you with a higher quality sample mp3, let me know if that would help.

Back