New Mix With Experimental Synth

ChickenStomp

I wanted to experiment with my MicroKorg to get some cool sounds and I'm also having a bit of trouble getting the 'feel' of the drums to match the 'feel' of the song. Any tips on how I could make that better.

The track is still mostly unmixed but at this stage, I'm looking for criticisms of the synth and drums, thanks!

Last edited:
I can't give you too much advice on the recording aspect or the drums, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first 50 seconds. For me this could have gone on forever.

Ah, thanks. This song has been a pain because I can't really figure out what I want to do with it and it's the last song I'm doing for an EP album I'm working on. Now your comment makes me think I should just have the whole song similar to the first 50 seconds lol

Drums are definitely in their own space, and could stand for a little bit of spatial glue, for lack of a better term. I enjoy the song, and the mix doesn't seem to have any glaring problems, but I think I would enjoy the song more, if the drums were a bit wetter, possibly using the same reverb as the guitar, even if not as much.

Very enjoyable, and listenable, though.

The more I listen, the more I want those drums to be in the same space.

Nice little tune! Thanks for sharing.

what if you recorded the drums half as fast? like the snare on the 3 rather than 2 and 4

you could get it sounding really heavy. with crash cymbals and stuff.

edit: just got through listening and realized that's what you did at the end. my advice is do that but go crazy with it, slow but w high energy and all that. but maybe that's not what you're going for, just an idea.

what if you recorded the drums half as fast? like the snare on the 3 rather than 2 and 4

you could get it sounding really heavy. with crash cymbals and stuff.

edit: just got through listening and realized that's what you did at the end. my advice is do that but go crazy with it, slow but w high energy and all that. but maybe that's not what you're going for, just an idea.

thanks for the feedback I'll try putting the snare on the 3 and see what it sounds like

Drums are definitely in their own space, and could stand for a little bit of spatial glue, for lack of a better term. I enjoy the song, and the mix doesn't seem to have any glaring problems, but I think I would enjoy the song more, if the drums were a bit wetter, possibly using the same reverb as the guitar, even if not as much.

Very enjoyable, and listenable, though.

The more I listen, the more I want those drums to be in the same space.

Nice little tune! Thanks for sharing.

I worked on the drums, spacing them out better and added some reverb and mixing them better overall. Here is the latest mix

I worked on the drums, spacing them out better and added some reverb and mixing them better overall. Here is the latest mix

Much better. although I'm a drummer, I think to make this even better, I'd bring down the drums a bit and see how that sounds... See if you can get em' seated even more.

Back