New Metal Mix - Critique?

Cool track, great guitar tone.
Bass does rumble a bit, but it didn't disturb me. Kick could use some click in it, otherwise it sounds like a muffled thump to me. Snare tends to get lost under the barrage of guitars a lot of times.
Pretty good track though.

I was going to put up a quip about giving us the lyrics, but no, I think you did a pretty good job here. I too think the snare is buried. I'm not a metal guy but bringing the guitars down equally just a bit might help. You could also play with notching some of the frequecies slightly to make it breathe, somewhere in the mid-low bass. Your squasher may have more room to move.

Guitars are insane. All of the drums seem a little low in the mix compared to the guitars. Good tone, clear vocals, nice bass and balance overall. Some of the low mids may be a little heavy.

Good metal sound.

Thanks guys! Looks like we all agree on the positives & negatives of the mix. I have a habit of making the guitars louder than is strictly necessary, typically to the detriment of the drums.

Cheers!

I have been trying for months to get a heavy guitar sound to sound clear and still heavy.. How in the hell did you do that? That's an amazing guitar tone! (and an amazing tune)

Cool track, great guitar tone.
Bass does rumble a bit, but it didn't disturb me. Kick could use some click in it, otherwise it sounds like a muffled thump to me. Snare tends to get lost under the barrage of guitars a lot of times.
Pretty good track though.

+1 on this. I'm listening on headphones right now. I think the guitars can come down a little bit. The overall drum sound is fantastic! Did you sample replace? I'm curious to know your process of recording them.

Such a beautifully brutal grind here! I was really wishing for some singing here and there , and not just Cookie-Monster the whole time - even a Pantera-like-angry singing woulda been cool for me, but it's not my song :). Drums could be more prominent all together, still a pretty decent mix to my ears. :D:cool:

Excellent sounding song.

As for the mix...I think the mix is to crspy and clean/clear...you want to feel the music as well as hear it...mix needs more bottom end for me...I dont listen to this type of music so I could be way off base.

Kick,bass and snare could be beefed up to give you the low end this mix needs.

From one metalhead to another: fucking love it mate.
Guitar/drum balance is good for me. Sounds right for this genre.

Great work!

I have been trying for months to get a heavy guitar sound to sound clear and still heavy.. How in the hell did you do that? That's an amazing guitar tone! (and an amazing tune)
Cheers! The guitars were an ESP LTD with an 81 in the bridge, and a Warrior with whatever pickups Warrior's guitars come with, going through a 5150+ and a 6505+, I believe. Cab was a 1960a. Mics were an SM58 and a KSM27 1" from the grille, pointed somewhere around 1/2" out from the edge of the cone I believe. The secret weapon, however, was a T Jauernig "Gristle King" (http://www.tcjeffects.com/5401.html), which very quickly became my favorite overdrive pedal. I bought one after the session!

+1 on this. I'm listening on headphones right now. I think the guitars can come down a little bit. The overall drum sound is fantastic! Did you sample replace? I'm curious to know your process of recording them.

There was a little bit of kick sample added, but the snare/toms are 100% real (although manipulated a shitload with compression/eq, of course!). Nothing else was really that special over all. Recorded in a big basement.

Back