New latin type groove - feedback please

espskully

Hi guys. This one is being considered for use in a car commercial. Feedback welcome!

Thank you.

-Aaron.

sounds pretty good to me. drums are a little in your face eq wise but this sounds very balanced overall. nice guitar playing.

after second listen, it's only the drums that bother me. the rest of this sounds very very good.

Thank you. I always struggle with drums. I HATE programming them. Is it the actual drum sounds you don't like? Or the way they're mixed?

I agree with Eric....sounds great except for the drums...it's IMO the drum sounds itself (snare seems to be one sample), and the way it is programmed (almost no velocity changes, too much quantization). It takes a lot of time to program 'natural' drums. And it's a very annoying job, true. It's also kinda ironic to spend several hours on a 'spontaneous sounding drumfill' LOL

But with the current events on drum sampling (multiple velocity samples for one snare for instance...check out Drums From Hell or Sonic Implants for more info), you can do definitely better than this. Plus, with better sounds it's actually a lot of fun to program it. The good quality of the samples makes it very inspiring.

Btw...Latin Groove? What's latin about this? ;)

Btw, guitars seem to have too much highs on my speakers.

Pedullist said:
Btw...Latin Groove? What's latin about this? ;)

i kind of had the same reaction.

anyway, it's not the drum sounds or performance, it's the mix that bothered me for some reason. seemed that the quantized, machinelike feel worked for the song just somewhere in the high end it was slapping my head around too much. maybe tame that a bit without squishing the life out of them? not sure how to do that.

Hey I liked it!

Maybe some hand drums to loosen the groove and give it more
flavor in the latin vein ala Santana.

Scott

acidbath said:
Hey I liked it!

Maybe some hand drums to loosen the groove and give it more
flavor in the latin vein ala Santana.

Scott

I agree! A guy could go to Guitar Center and buy a set of two little conga's put together for about $60 bucks..... and then spend $10 on a shaker and really spice up the existing computer drum track.

Hey guys - maybe that was an inaccurate description - I guess I had Santana in mind when I crafted the melody, then started reffering to it as a latin groove. You're right, it's not!

Anyway, my initial intention was to create a Santana type melody with a hip hop (for lack of a better term) backbeat. I was basically referencing a car commercial I saw/heard, and produced this with that in mind.

I'm looking into the EXS24 and Spectrasonic's Backbeat sample CD. Apparently it's good for straight ahead, natural sounding drum grooves. Anyone try this?

Cheerz.

Main thing is drums are way too loud.......if you simply backed them off a good bit they would instantly sound better.....also, personally, I hate that snare sound.....it's too hip-hop sounding for the song and is part of why it doesn't sound latin. Pull the drums back......change snare sounds to something more acoustic sounding.....and add a little accessory percussion and you'll be hittin'!

Hey, if you're aiming for hiphop drums....ignore everything I've said. :)

I thought they were supposed to sound 'latin', LOL :D

Hi, Lt. Bob :)

not as organic as it could be. needs a bit more depth in the players positions for me. The panning was nice, I just couldnt see the other events hiding back in the mix enough with the drums that hot. If you ease back the drums a bit and let the rythyms come on out, especially the percussion, it needs to sit up front some more I think you`d have it.

Back