New Jongleurs toon - Truth and Distance

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Hi y'all

New tune from my band, The Jongleurs - this time it's one written and sung by "the other guy" aka Rich..

He plays acoustic and sings lead and harmony, I play acoustic, electric, piano, bass, beat the midi drums and do some harmonies...

I was just listening to Thanatogenous (nice work all BTW!) and I was struck with the similarity to our song...:D

... not - we're just a touch quieter..:laughings:

This is Rich showing his emotional side - Truth and Distance :facepalm:

It's a 320 MP3 and 5:28 long so it's a big-ass mama of a file.... sorry.

Tried a few different mix things this time, so any comments, let me know.

Cheers

Nice separation on the different elements, lush sounding mix and good harmonies Armistice. For me, I'd bring up the drums though and back off the reverb on the solo - may just be personal taste however.

There's also a say-ay-ay-ame line about 90% through that I think comes in too loud.

Other than that, cool.

Thanks rob... I was listening on the iPod this morning and thought... "where did the drums go?" and also that there was a bit too much echo on the solo... I hadn't had a chance to listen on my usual wide array of devices... so I think you're spot on with those.

I'll check out that say-ay-ay-ame too.. they've been a bit of a nightmare..

Cheers

There are some White album Beatle acoustic similarities which is quite nice.
Lovely arrangement and lovely performance.
I don't think there's too much effect on the solo though the tom behind it was a bit forward.
Bloody good song - longish BUT I listened through with no problems at all - it held my attention.
Are you doing any Christmas gigs? You could deck yourselves with chimes and go as the Jonglebells! Sorry!!!
Terrific song & performance.

Sounds nice. The vocals work, the reverb on the solo works for me too. I can understand wanting slightly understated drums for this kinda song, but you overdid it man, bring em up! Other than that, no issues. Good, tight mix.

Yeah, they've got to come up a bit but as I record on a standalone I have to transfer a stereo drum track from Reaper (don't ask!) so I think I'll go back in and take the snare up.. do a bit more work on the hats and re-master to stereo, then turn them all up a notch back in the standalone. There's also a tom hit or two which are a bit out there... good call ray.

In headphones the echo on the guitar, when playing some of the staccato notes in the solo, does tend to boomerang around a bit - it's already automated so I'll just go and tweak it a touch in spots.

I've also noticed when the singer starts a line with an "A word" or "I" he's getting this sharp transient thing happening - more noticeable in cans where you've got a speaker going direct into your ears, than on monitors or the stereo... I'll do a bit of volume automation on his lead track while I'm playing around too, I think.

Getting there... thanks for the input..

Hey ray... no Christmas gigs.. other dude's going to NZ (he's married to a kiwi)... and yes, the Jongle Bells thing had occured to me.. lol :laughings:

man thats really nice armistice..Id bring the drums up a ball hair, but they should be in the background...the hats at the right level just the snare a tiny bit...everything else sounded perfecto mondo bro

Wow David you almost pulled off a Todd Rundgren composition playing all of those instruments.

Total time wasn't all that bad ..... the tea water started to boil just as the song was ending.

Thanks KC... yeah I think you're right... just the snare and there's a rogue tom hit or two i might turn down.. one of these days I'll make my life easier and migrate to PC recording and be able to do this stuff easily.... lol... such a luddite! :laughings:

Been meaning to listen to your stuff but everytime I get near it some bastard wants me to do work! Mongrels. Tomorrow.. :)

Henry, we focus grouped the song and discovered that 5:28 is the average boil time for a modern kettle and aimed for that... once we knew that, everything else just fell into place... and those high wails at the end? they're there purely as a reminder that the kettle's on (for those without whistles), about to boil, and that you should start making your way towards it....

How did you guess? :laughings:

If there's ever a video, I'll have to find a way to introduce a kettle without telling Rich why... :):laughings:

Ah, married to a Kiwi! That explains a lot. Is he shy on stage? A little sheepish perhaps?
I won't go on with the 1001 Kiwi jokes.
Excellent song - 'nuff said?

Very cool. Nice vocals.

Acoustics sound great!

I think it's already been mentioned, but the drums sounded a little distant or quiet or both. That's my only nit.

Nice!

Very cool. Nice vocals.

Acoustics sound great!

I think it's already been mentioned, but the drums sounded a little distant or quiet or both. That's my only nit.

Nice!

But that's the new mix where I've turned them up a bit! I kinda like them where they are now... I was playing it to the guy (Rich) that wrote it and sings and was telling him that the aim was to feature the voice and have the listener sort of unaware of the building effect as I add instruments, and be left wondering at the end how the quiet got to reasonably loud.... and by the way Rich, can you tell me where the piano started playing????

He said he became aware of it only at the end but it comes in in the second verse... so scored a win on that one...

Thanks for your comments aaron...:)

Back