New Indie Rock song - Dusted

I actually listened to the whole thing. I don’t do that very often. Mix isn’t how many people would like it, but I like it as is.

Cool groove. Drums sound really nice to me. Guitars sound nice and pleasant as well.

A few nits:

There seems to be a bit of congestion in the lower mids overall. It seems as though there's not much room for the vocal to sit. I don't know if that's the reason, but I had a really hard time understanding most of the lyrics throughout the song.

The bass seems to be lacking in clarity a bit. This could be because of the aforementioned congestion down there.

I think the vocalist has a better take in him, IMHO. There are quite a few little pitchy spots here and there.

I like the tune -- has a nice chilled vibe. I think the arrangement could benefit from a little variety possibly. It stays pretty thick almost the whole time. Maybe a guitar or two could drop out at some point to provide a brief respite.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, FWIW. Thanks for sharing.

I actually listened to the whole thing. I don’t do that very often. Mix isn’t how many people would like it, but I like it as is.

Thanks...glad you made it to the end!

Cool groove. Drums sound really nice to me. Guitars sound nice and pleasant as well.

A few nits:

There seems to be a bit of congestion in the lower mids overall. It seems as though there's not much room for the vocal to sit. I don't know if that's the reason, but I had a really hard time understanding most of the lyrics throughout the song.

The bass seems to be lacking in clarity a bit. This could be because of the aforementioned congestion down there.

I think the vocalist has a better take in him, IMHO. There are quite a few little pitchy spots here and there.

I like the tune -- has a nice chilled vibe. I think the arrangement could benefit from a little variety possibly. It stays pretty thick almost the whole time. Maybe a guitar or two could drop out at some point to provide a brief respite.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, FWIW. Thanks for sharing.

Thats helpful feedback beagle, thank you. I always seem to be mid heavy on first mix..probably still trying to read my new open backs headphones. I am playing around with dropping some of the guitar in the verse for more contrast. I have tried to tweak the bass and hopefully made a bit more space for it by tweaking the mids. I'm not really hearing any bits on the vocal that irk me too much but maybe thats cos its me. My technique is usually to do 4 takes im happy with and then paste the best bits together...I'd be interested to know what sticks out if you happen to listen again.

Mark

The mix sounds a lot better now. It's not as muddy, and the bass is much more audible.

Regarding the vocals, there are just some times where it's riding a little flat. Here are some of the spots that stick out to me most:
0:52 - the low note
1:11 - 1:13
1:44 ("falling")
2:02 - 2:09
etc.

I know you're doing a lot of scooping in this style, but the tuning is just not as sweet as it could be, IMHO. I think maybe if you played the melody on piano or something while listening to it, you'd likely hear what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything. The only reason I bring this up is because I think it's a cool tune and is worth the trouble! :)

Thanks Famous Beagle...Absolutely no issues with the criticism. It all helps when you've heard a song played back 200 odd times...at least. I think you just stop hearing stuff! Thanks for having another listen.

Sounds much clearer than the first mix. By quite a bit actually.

Vocal is clearer and sits better also.

Overall MUCH improved to my ears.

Back