New guitar instrumental - mix opinions plz!

Here's my latest guitar instrumental. I think the bass on this one is more imaginative than most of my other ones.. See what you think - any opinions welcome!

(Doesn't even have a title as yet..)

Like I said in my thread, I this is some awesome guitar playing and great production...At first I thought the bass was too loud, but it seems to settle in not long into the tune. Great stuff.

Thanks for the comments!

One interesting point.. the guitar I used for the lead, I bought in a garage sale for $15! I'm learing to paint guitars and I wanted something I could practice on so I did an EVH paint job on it! :D Doesn't sound too bad.. It's a Hohner Marlin.

Bass is really punchy....clean guitars have a great tone...actually, so do the distorted ones. Nice playing man....The overall volume may be a bit loud....I turned the volume down here, and there seemed to be a few spots in the louder portion that were distorting. Not greatly, but had some buzz to it...

It happened a few times, so it is noticeable to me.
Other than that small thing, killer playing man...you picked some really good tones to go with this tune. It has a great vibe.

Great playing. Amazing playing. Amazing mixing. Super tune. Worth listening again.

The guitar tones are to kill for. :)

Very metallica in places (like Orion).

But still original.

Post your gear list, please! :)

20 thumbs up! :)

bigbubba said:
Post your gear list, please! :)

20 thumbs up! :)

-Korean Bass called a Phil, with a 30 year old Dimarzio stacked pickup
-Hohner Marlin garage sale guitar for lead :rolleyes:
-USA 1983 RR Jackson for rhythms
-All guitars played through a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and then into the soundcard, processed with Guitar Rig.
-Drums are midi, as is everything else, pads etc.
-All recording and mixing with Cubase SX 2.

I'd take the drums out of the 1st few bars.
The guitar sounds like a guitar YEAHHHHHHHHHHH
Very well played & made.
In the early 80's in Australia we had a new Rock FM station that had a signature tune that had the same classic guitar stance - most people didn't like the station but every rock dog dug the sig.
Well done.

Cool tune, great playing...the mix sounds good, however, your clipping all over the place, almost constantly clipping. Possibly when your 'mastered' it?

I'd say try and leave more room dynamicly in the mixdown.... to get rid of that constant clip... also your RMS is around -10dB which is possibly a tad bit hot for this type of tune... I dunno what you use to attain more volume, but ya probably wanna back it off about 3dB on the peak and RMS...

Also FWIW I noticed more of the clipping on the right side.. It's on both but more noticeable on the right....

Last night I had a listen in headphones and sure enough, I hear all this crackling distortion throughout.. Don't know where that came in, I mastered with T-Racks, I'll go back and check it out tonight, thanks!

...I'll see how it sounds with no drums in the first 4 bars as per suggestion..

schenkerguy said:
-Korean Bass called a Phil, with a 30 year old Dimarzio stacked pickup
-Hohner Marlin garage sale guitar for lead :rolleyes:
-USA 1983 RR Jackson for rhythms
-All guitars played through a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive and then into the soundcard, processed with Guitar Rig.
-Drums are midi, as is everything else, pads etc.
-All recording and mixing with Cubase SX 2.
Thanks for the response. :)

Guitar rig, just to process guitars with FX? From the guitar to the Sparkle out to the comp? No problems with signal being line-level and mic-level and all that junk?

Cubase? This is the best demo I've heard with cubase. :)

I think a lot of people have issues mixing, 'coz of the mountains of stuff available with bad reverb, chorus, EQ, and compressor plugins. I haven't found any reverb to match Ableton's reverb plugin so far. But Ableton is harder to record with and to work with in general. Very un-windows interface. I'd rather be pressing keys and intuitively just working thru. Instead of clicking and point and clicking and clicking and pointing and double-clicking and rolling windows to the left and the top, etc....... clicking.... pointing......etc.....

bigbubba said:
Guitar rig, just to process guitars with FX? From the guitar to the Sparkle out to the comp? No problems with signal being line-level and mic-level and all that junk?

Cubase? This is the best demo I've heard with cubase. :)

Guitar Rig provides the amp, speaker and mic simulation, as well as compression and all the effects. I use the sparkle drive to boost the guitars output a bit and convert to a low impedance signal before going into my Echo Mia soundcard. Been using Cubase for around 8 years now with no problem.

schenkerguy said:
Guitar Rig provides the amp, speaker and mic simulation, as well as compression and all the effects. I use the sparkle drive to boost the guitars output a bit and convert to a low impedance signal before going into my Echo Mia soundcard. Been using Cubase for around 8 years now with no problem.
Sorry, looking back I didn't mean to call your track a demo. It's actually pretty standard mix for instrumentals as far as I hear. :)

hey, the mix sounds brilliant to me on my laptop speakers, so thats saying something.

The lead guitar tone is awsome, amazing considering the gear you used! sounds kinda ealry satriani,vai type tone.

nice playing too! :)

great job!

Fabulous playing Mr Schenkerguy. Sound quality is excellent as well. Not sure how I missed this on the first go around but I'm glad I caught this now.....

Oh yeah - and hi from Edmonton!

this is really very nice... mixing and everything else.. guitars and bass sound pro and the drums are also very natural sounding, which samples are those? and excellent songwriting! keep up the excellent work! :)

Thanks for the positive comments!

The Drums samples are from a program called EZ Drummer. I also use Drumkit From Hell with Battery sometimes too, which sounds good..

Back