New groovin rock zeplineaque tune

LemonTree

Suck 'em and see!
New groovin rock zeplinesque tune

No vocals on this yet just testing out my new Octava MK-012s as overheads. Not sure if maybe I squashed the life out of them but just trying to get a better kit sound. Guitars are nasty.

How's my kit sounding? That's all I wanna know really.

Thanks,

Alec

TWISTER - HiFi

TWISTER - Download

Last edited:
heheh, Killer.... the guitar is fab, very tastefull and seasoned. Great tones. I like this whole thing... however as was covered already a little :) , you got a good tom thing going on in the "let`s daynce this thang part" but in the rest of the tune, the kick should be hittin you like the heel of your hand and that snare snappin at your neck hard...
ohh... great bass sound after the mid stretch..

Last edited:
Thanks Toki

Wasn't the best tracking session, was too eager to get things down. The bass was miked up and has a LOT of kit spill. The whole kit has bad spillage. Cleaned it up best I can with software gates. Maybe you had to hear what I was getting before to realise it's better......who knows

sure man... I understand that.. kit sounds pretty good, just not enough ass on it. Can you get to just the kit channels and push em, or are they already 2 tracked with everything perm'?

I'm at 15 tracks, still got 9 spare. The guitar layers are just scratch tracks. The first one toasts in a few places around 2:00 plus I recorded them wet just trying to get a picture of how it was gonna sound. Here's the set up...

Kick D112
Snare SM57
Rack Tom Sensi 604
Floor Tom SP B1
OHs Octavia MK-012s
there's a Behringer B5 fizzing away on the hats too (piss poor)

I`d like to have those mics...
just turn the kick and fatten it a lil, let the bass have some in the 1 st part of the tune too, if you can on this mix.. and maybe that guitar fallin out just before the midzone can be pulled out and punched back?

Last edited:
pretty good song...

really enjoyed the guitar playing...

overall balance seems Okay

the guitars have a harsh hi end that's distorting, more than just the distortion. I would roll off some of the guitar Hi-end, too. my first guess is that the guitar tone is not from a mic'd amp but right out of the box... if not then it sounds like you have too much gain somewhere.

liked it though...

First off, the drums sound great and the playing is really tight and I'm saying this as a drummer first....

That's a Behringer V-Amp? Heck yeah! I was considering purchasing one before I settled for a Line6 POD 2.0...but if I heard this prior to getting my POD, I would have bought the v-amp instead. Good job and kewl tune! I dig this kind of music.

Really good overall and even sound over all the frequencies with the drums but yeah I have to kinda agree with some of the others about the kick. I think it has plenty of low end punch to it but it needs to be brought up *just a little* AND more "definition"/attack in the 2-4K range to punctuate it. The drums would probably benefit from either bringing up your new overheads a little (or don't "squash" as much ) and letting more of the room in on the mix. Then again, I dunno what kinda room you recorded in and if it's real live sounding enough to let in on the mix. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your stuff and look forward to hearing your tunes from here on....

Alec,

Cool tune! :cool:

I am getting flashbacks of Iron Butterfly and Black Sabbath from some of the guitar work in this piece which is nicely played if not a bit to loud in the current mix.

Onto the drums;

At lower listening levels, there seems to be a real absence of bottom end on the kick, snare and toms. It does come more forward at louder levels but, the sign of a good tonal balance is one where you can still hear what's going on when things are quieter, in my opinion.

The dynamics of the kit seem very well controlled, perhaps a little squashed with too much compression on the snare and toms. The cymbals sound clean and fairly balanced at different listening levels.

If you open up the dynamics on the kit to match that of the guitar, there will be a better balance of power there. Otherwise, consider taming the guitar's levels with a bit of mid-range smoothing and further compression.

So far, so good! :)

Cheers! :)

The tune rocks.

I think the guitar has great tone . but I do agree that the drums sound a bit poppy.

good job!

Back