New Generation

jonlint

Hi all,

Did a reboot, spruce up and guitar retrack of an old song which I was never happy with. Here is the improved version. Hope you enjoy - feedback most welcome:

New Generation - YouTube

Music and lyrics - copyright Jonathan Linton
LYRICS:

Todays’ generation’s
A painful cremation
Burning oil, belching fumes
They protest, the farce resumes
Easy life today
Our future we repay
Nothing you can do or say
Plastic, toxic, doomsday

Government, now that’s joke
Spend today, tomorrow broke
Got new admiration
For the new generation
Someone turned the light off
From future’s bright payoff
Got new admiration
For the new generation

Get elected, lifetime seat
Cozy life, can’t be beat
Vote for those who pay you good
Change your course, like driftwood
Easy life today
Our future we repay
Nothing you can do or say
Plastic, toxic, doomsday

Got new admiration
For the new generation
Got new admiration
For the new generation

SOLO

Got new admiration
For the new generation
Got new admiration
For the new generation

New generation, new generation….

I like that intro.. and outro. The guitars sound good to me. I also like that the lyrics are focused and not getting all dreamy and vague. I think for the way you've written this, cutting the last two verses before the solo would help the flow. Of course, slipping a bridge into that spot would also take care of that without sacrificing length - IMO.

The mix is really nice overall, and the performances are all very good. I like the guitar/bass tones.

My only nit has to do with the feel. In the intro, the shuffle feel is very well established, and everything gels nicely. But once the vocal entered, it was a bit disconcerting. It kind of seemed as though some elements were still shuffling, while others weren't (or at least weren't shuffling as much). It's particularly noticeable on the line "Got a new admiration." It seems as though the vocals are singing that straight on top of a shuffled groove or something.

Also, in the outro, the kick drum didn't seem to be locking in. Again, it seems like a shuffle/straight disparity or something. It's hard to put my finger exactly on what's happening.

Other than that, it's very solid.

Back