New to this forum: New song

navelgarden

I'm upset I didn't know about this forum until now. Tons of great advice all here in one place...I'm looking forward to hanging out and learning lots of new tricks and techniques.

Here's a link to a new tune a recorded this weekend. "Take Me On". It's an upbeat acoustic rocker. Let me know what you think...

www.soundclick.com/peterrichardt

The two overlaid acoustics is nice. Good voice too!

A think a bit more drums would be nice, but it is also fine the way it is.

I say this a lot... I find the mix too wet. But yours is not so wet with reverb, but with chorus, doubling and spacial effects.

I like your voice, but try to double it more transparently. Most people hate the sound of their own voice, so when mixing yourself you have to be a bit mean... Pretend you are not the singer when you mix and try to expose rather than indulge your singing. Believe me, I know how hard that is. :)

:) So true, Tobe. Writing and playing songs for fun is one thing...sitting in my room recording and tweaking every part of a mix while I listen to it over and over and over (and over) again is another. How would I mix this if it wasn't me is HUGE advice...I'll keep that in the front of my mind when I go back and rerecord some of the background vocals and give this mix another go.

You too, Greg. Thanks so much for the reply. Every little piece of feedback helps.

I like the riffing on the effected acoustic - good basis for the song. I like the song and the voice. My tips: Change it up some. It drags toward the middle. It kinda needs full band buildup OR if you want to keep this stripped down vibe, then you need a killer bridge section. You might want to consider where you can take your voice up a third or fifth to give the song a lift. I don't know what that was you were abusing during the lead break, but it doesn't work for me :(. Soft tone electric/or acoustic gtr or piano. One last thing....that's not really a bass is it?

Good effort for sure!
:D:cool:

I'll definitely change it up when I go back to remix, muximusbs. Hopefully by next weekend. I laughed out loud when I read your "not sure what you were abusing during the lead break..." That was awesome. :) I love that part of the song more and more as time goes on, so it will hard to take out...maybe it would fit better if I bring in more band. We'll see. That is a bass I'm playing...I scooped off a lot of bottom end because I thought it was too muddy...too much?

I'll definitely change it up when I go back to remix, muximusbs. Hopefully by next weekend. I laughed out loud when I read your "not sure what you were abusing during the lead break..." That was awesome. :) I love that part of the song more and more as time goes on, so it will hard to take out...maybe it would fit better if I bring in more band. We'll see. That is a bass I'm playing...I scooped off a lot of bottom end because I thought it was too muddy...too much?

How are you recording the bass? Amplitube has the best bass sims imho. Rolling off the the lows on the bass is the right idea to make sure it's not stepping on the kick freq.

I'm using a Guitar Rig 4 bass sim on that one... Picked Bass Deep 1. Plugging my Ibenex Bass into a Motu UltraLiteMK3 soundcard and recording dry to my DAW (Sonar 8.5 Producer). I also have compression and eq plug-ins on that track. Maybe eq is where I messed up?

I'll check out Amplitude. Thanks maximusbs!

Attachments

• eq-image.jpg
    eq-image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 46
I agree with the too wet/too repetitive critique. It doesn't go anywhere. It's just the same thing over and over. It's an interesting mix. I'm not crazy about it, but it works for what it is. The hard compressed sound is kind of rough on the guitars, but it makes for a different sound. The guitar squeaks and in-your-face picking are a but much though. The vocals are the weak link. They're done well, but the double effect is distracting and sloppy. Either do a tighter double track or less chorus effect. They seem to be mega compressed too. Maybe back that off a little for a more natural feel, unless you want that overprocessed type sound.

I'm using a Guitar Rig 4 bass sim on that one... Picked Bass Deep 1. Plugging my Ibenex Bass into a Motu UltraLiteMK3 soundcard and recording dry to my DAW (Sonar 8.5 Producer). I also have compression and eq plug-ins on that track. Maybe eq is where I messed up?

I'll check out Amplitude. Thanks maximusbs!

ummmmm...adding 17db in the middle, let alone anywhere, is gonna sound a little funny :). I tend to use a flat line ( I figure the amp/mod has done most of the work), then roll off the lows as needed and kiss (...just a smooch like you're kissing your sister) on the upper mid for attack.
:D:cool:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php - fun EQ stuff

Last edited:
Oops. Makes sense to let the amp/mod do most of the work. I just can't help but want to make that eq curve look like the upper body profile of this cute athletic brunette who goes to my gym (not my sister). Is my compression too much too? (that curve is inspired by the same brunette leaning over to touch her toes) ;)

Thanks so much for the eq link...I'm going to check it out right away.

I have a cheap bass and it has notes jumpin' and poppin' all over - Let's just say I give that compressor a big ole tongue down the throat rather than a smooch.:D;) Yours looks ok, just get that eq under control (rule of thumb, if you are adding over 5db anywhere, you might want to go back to the source).
:cool:

Try your bass dry then cut 5db at 100 with a Q of 3, add 4db at 200 with the same Q THEN find where in the 3K + zone you need to add a little peak to cut through the mix & give that spot a 4 or 5 db boost with a narrower Q. (I usually give 5 at 3k but that suits my bass & style.)
THEN automate the levels to get around the ups n downs OR go for a compressor like blockfish and tweak the bass preset.

Back