New to the forum and a new home recording...

stickboymusic

Hello there

I stumbled upon this forum and it seems very useful, ive been a member of a few songwriting forums for a while but this one seems great on a technical level also

I am wondering if you would have time to critique my latest recording?

And dont worry , i do understand how forums work and WILL be taking the time to listen to and critique others

Thankyou!

[video=youtube;<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/O7JQOWRDFBo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/O7JQOWRDFBo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

Hello there

I stumbled upon this forum and it seems very useful, ive been a member of a few songwriting forums for a while but this one seems great on a technical level also

I am wondering if you would have time to critique my latest recording?

And dont worry , i do understand how forums work and WILL be taking the time to listen to and critique others

Thankyou!

[video=youtube;<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/O7JQOWRDFBo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/O7JQOWRDFBo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>]video[/video]

WOW stickboy that is a great song!
Now is the video of the actual vocal track or is it a lip sinc for the video?
Clue me in on what you used etc. for the recording.
and where are you from? what else do you have?
keep up the good work

:cool:

Hello there

many thanks - nah its a lip sync to the recording.... i recorded it on pro tools at home...just LE with the mbox if youre interested?

im from manchester, uk and have LOADS more.... if you want to visit my myspace im on

www.myspace.com/stickboyuk

Hope you're well

x

Hello there

many thanks - nah its a lip sync to the recording.... i recorded it on pro tools at home...just LE with the mbox if youre interested?

im from manchester, uk and have LOADS more.... if you want to visit my myspace im on

www.myspace.com/stickboyuk

Hope you're well

x

Very good X, was all of it in the box or did you use out board gear?
Microphone selection and processing?

all in the box - except i ran my elec guitar through a guitar pod

the only mic i used is a baby blue bottle... and a cheap yamaha mixing desk before the mbox.

all in the box - except i ran my elec guitar through a guitar pod

the only mic i used is a baby blue bottle... and a cheap yamaha mixing desk before the mbox.

WOW! great results with minimal equipment. So only 1 or 2 tracks at a time. very impressive. You have a lot of hits as well on your myspace looks like your doing good and you should expect great things in the future.

Marvelous!
I thought the intro was a bit too long. You only get 7 seconds to hook listeners, online.
Came across as a bit muddy at first (needed separation?) but I'm listening on the family PC.
Waltzed along quite nicely though with lots of ear candy to keep me listening and enjoying.
Your vocal style is that of a person who has his "Chops".
Great stuff.

Now: Get a haircut! :D

"I'll buy it and I'll give it 5".

haha this is me "following" a haircut!!

thanks for listening..... may be youtube making it a little muddy, i dunno.... make sure you have the vid quality on 480.

7 seconds!! thats clapton screwed then!!

Yes: I wasn't listening on the best of speakers.
Recent studies have shown that now that most listeners are getting their music online, the average listener will make up their minds in the first 7 seconds before moving on to the next song.
That's how long you have to grab their attention.

Marvelous!
I thought the intro was a bit too long. You only get 7 seconds to hook listeners, online.
Came across as a bit muddy at first (needed separation?) but I'm listening on the family PC.
Waltzed along quite nicely though with lots of ear candy to keep me listening and enjoying.
Your vocal style is that of a person who has his "Chops".
Great stuff.

Now: Get a haircut! :D

"I'll buy it and I'll give it 5".

Yeah, Jim isn't this great? I haven't had this much listening pleasure in a long time!.!

wow, brilliant....time somebody important discovered you. ;)
The recording's wonderful and the song is really catchy. Ten points.

Joey :)

Mix is well balanced. Vocal performance is so expressive it's kind of hard to be objective with a critique of the recording... but none the less... these things are minor... there's a bit of vocal sibilance you could reduce with some careful deessing or different mic'ing, and the slightly edgy feel of the vocal's upper mids makes me think your voice would sound even better with a good quality ribbon mic rather than a condenser like the Blue Bottle.

Mix is well balanced. Vocal performance is so expressive it's kind of hard to be objective with a critique of the recording... but none the less... these things are minor... there's a bit of vocal sibilance you could reduce with some careful deessing or different mic'ing, and the slightly edgy feel of the vocal's upper mids makes me think your voice would sound even better with a good quality ribbon mic rather than a condenser like the Blue Bottle.

XLR..... I've been e-mailing a bunch of people this guys myspace and the feed back I'm getting is just about the same - Great recording for a home project and with a little spit and polish this sound is going to go somewhere.

Um...wow. I read the rave reviews and kinda didn't want to like it due to my contrarian nature, but I really thought this totally kicked ass. Start to finish a great track. At first glance I thought maybe you were Beck...or Beck's brother or something...

Particularly like how you captured drums and vocals. Anyway, great tune and a fine recording (normally youtube isn't a great way to present audio for review, but this sounds fine)...no complaints here. :rolleyes: :)

XLR..... I've been e-mailing a bunch of people this guys myspace and the feed back I'm getting is just about the same - Great recording for a home project and with a little spit and polish this sound is going to go somewhere.
He's doing pretty well already, judging from the TV and advertising placements of his recordings. Deserved success. More to ya Stickboy!

Brilliant! Your songwriting is top-notch, my man. Loved the simplicity of it all. The play on rhymes was awesome, too. And then half-way through the tune (at around 2:45), the song just took off.... Put a smile on my face.

Can't really critique the mix, as I'm listening on crappy PC speakers, but, it did make me smile, despite the speakers... Well done. :D

great work! I'm visiting your myspace page to see what else you've done.

Hey folks

Thankyou for all the comments, its these kind of response that encourages me to keep doing it, we all know how jaded we can get with the way music seems to be held with no regard or value right now.

I think i "could" tidy up some of the recordings a bit, however i do like to have that well-produced lo-fi kinda feel..... i have a few recordings where ive really gone to town on production

like this one www.soundcloud.com/stickboy/how-to-fight

And whilst it does sound pretty good and all that it doesnt really feel like me and i end up not liking it.

Having said that the song has been picked up by microsoft to use on their new zune phone so i guess people do like it.

ive been in bands and stuff, been very very skint, had to get a normal job but never given up on the music..... im now fitting in writing/composing around the day job and trying to get myself to a point where i can do the music full time.... not sure how easy that is right now though.

In terms of equipment, yeh its pretty damn minimal.... i recorded, mixed and mastered my last album on cool edit 1.5, a knackered pc and £10 headphones and that was it........ got decent national radio play, led to a bbc radio live session, got used on tv syncs etc so its not really the cost of the equipment its more just knowing it very well

having said that i have since upgraded a little, mbox 2 with protools, i used to use a rode ntk valve mic but for some reason protools doesnt like it (high pitched noise produced for some reason) so im using my baby blue bottle at the mo..... then just a load of real instruments and a couple of midi based things .

anyway im ranting.....

over and out

x

Back