New Fantasy

esull0585

Hey, I'm having some trouble with this, so if you've got any advice I'd appreciate it. I'm new to this so go easy on me, sometimes my headphones play tricks on my ears. Don't mind the abrupt ending either, every other part I tried to add was bringing the overall song down, I'll figure it out though.

http://www.box.net/shared/4t166l63vv

Thanks in advance although I'll thank you again :)

Last edited:
Nice simple tune. Reminds me of the band Spain. There's some major hiss in there judging by the first second. I think one uses a gate for that, or a retake. Your kick sounds a bit woody. The singing could be better, it sounds a bit lackluster and it's off key here and there. I'm not sure about the flanging thingy, it's not necessary. I'm guessing there's a bass in there, or is that a drone under that flanger? Either way maybe it blends a little too much with the rest of the sounds, could be outlined better. At 1:01 when you go back to your verse, I'd try and set it apart from the start of the song by adding something more in the rhythm section. That would also pick up the pace wrt the start. Hope that helps.

Nice that you get right to the song...no one-minute intro. Good!

You have the bass, drums and acoustic guit all playing the same figure. Common disease. Hear's a way to uplift things right off the bat: redo the guitar, playing off-beats...like reggae....to lighten things up, and add momentum.

Thanks for the listens so far guys.

Singlespeak: There definitely is a lot of hiss. This is really my first time trying to add anything other than acoustic guitar/vocal in a recording, and what I did was make the drum/bass/synth tracks in FL after I structured the guitar, melody, and lyrics. Then I have to transfer that to my DP-008 and record the guitar and vocal tracks using the built in mics since I'm poor. I shut everything off and did everything I could to keep it silent, but it even picks up the silence. And that is probably also the reason the bass sounds indistinguishable from some of the other sounds as well, because I didn't really take the time to seperate all of the tracks I did in FL in terms of volume and panning. As for the vocals, yea a little lacking in energy and off key at times, but it was 1 AM and my wife and son were sleeping so I couldn't go all out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, haha :)

jeffmaher: Yes, I keep reading that you only have 7 seconds to try and suck people in in this day and age, and since I'm no virtuoso when it comes to the instruments I play or singing(yet, lol) I figure the best solution is to cut out all attempts at an intro. And as for the bass, drums, and guitar all playing the same figure, you're absolutely right. No diversity. I'll start with trying the reggae guitar idea and build from there and see what happens.

Once again, thanks for the advice so far guys. I really appreciate it.

Oh, and one other thing I wanted to ask: to those of you that have listened or are going to, what do you make of the vocal track panned far left? I thought it added a kind of spaceyness but does it sound out of place at all? Another reason I added it was because I've always heard that your left side of your body is controlled by the right(and vice-versa) and I figured that maybe it would get the right brain of listeners(all 10 of 'em)going. Maybe I'm just an idiot though.

Last edited:
Back