New entry...in progress

cstockdale

supafly killa homey
Okay, this is a rough mix, but I guess I need feedback at this stage to determine where it needs to go. Bear in mind a couple of things:

1) intend to re-record vox. But welcome suggestions on tone/production (out of key in a few spots, needs better mic technique to avoid "ssssss")

2) in a couple of places the tremolo guitar (obvious which one when you hear it) is not in sync with the beat. Need to retrack that one.

3) need to "humanize" the drum roll at the end

There are 4 distinct guitar parts: acoustic, tremolo, flanged, and a crunchy one.

Bass is recorded using piano-roll control of a sampled bass from Reason

Drums are out of DR008

But, check it out, comment please. It is an anti-war tune, but a generic one and not a sappy tune

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2680&alid=-1

The things you mentioned are certainly present. Watch the pitch - it's off in quite a few spots.

The vocals have a "distinant" sound to them as well. When you retrack, make sure you're a bit closer to the mic than when you tracked it this time.

Harmonies would be nice. There was a backing vocal track on this one. It wasn't entirely in sync with the lead track, but I couldn't tell if it was intended or not. It seemed like it was off by intention.

The tremolo guitar was a bit too dominating. There is a little lead guitar that "accents" a few lines. Nice touch, but maybe turn down the level and possibly EQ out some mids.

I like the crunchy guitar tone. Yeah that drum roll at the end might not be humanly possible. :)

Repost it when you're done. Looking forward to how it comes along.

Thanks for the rapid comments:

1) the vocals are indeed too "distant", it is my songwriting partner who sang this one, and it is just the first take, and the pitch certainly needs some work.
Backing vox are still being "considered". They weren't intended to be out of sync, that will take some work.

2) Did you think the tremolo is too dominating at the beginning of the song? I have thought it sounds great at the beginning, but that maybe it should be dropped altogether once the bass/drums kick in.

3) did you mean to take out some of the mids on the crunchy guitar tone? Or were you referring to a different guitar track?

will likely be doing new work on it over the next week, so will try to repost it next Monday

On the guit with the tremelo... If I remember right, I thought it was a bit loud at the begining. I agree with you that it sounds good. Leave it in, but just turn down the level a couple of dBs.

On the "crunchy" comment... I don't think I'm talking about the distorted rhythm guitar. There is a little guitar part (also distorted) that accents lines with a short riff in a couple of spots. It's a good part, but as it is, it's a bit jolting. I'd say turn down the level a bit, and EQ out some mids. I think that would help it do its job better.

Hope that answers it. Let me know if it doesn't.

I agree with TripleM about the accent guitar coming down in the mix. I think maybe the guitars might could be panned more to give them a little more separation. I like the doubled vocal an octave lower. What is that synth thing at the beginning? It sounds good, but gets distracting at times during the song itself. The drum roll at the end cracked me up!:D I don't know how human you can get that one.
Looking forward to the repost!

Back