New EDM/House Song

My comment is more about composition than mix. It feels like it's neither quite dance music nor electronica. As dance music, there are two many sections where the beat isn't out there enough. You would clear the dance floor with this. As electronica, there's not enough development, movement, and subtlety going on. Some interesting sections, but it doesn't quite hold together as a composition for me.

Yeah I can see your point - I do literally drop the beat partway through the song. I'm not sure how to classify it either... Categories are something I struggle to put my music in to. I don't think it's necessarily wrong or bad but I do agree with your categorical argument for this particular song.

Actually yeah I see your points... and it's just disappointing but taken in a good light. I think with a little more flesh (like 2 more synths that make appearances - maybe like a pad and a swoosh) it would help... and maybe I should never lose the kick anywhere other than the very beginning and the very end.

What do you think about those ideas? These ideas would try and make it more EDM than electronica I'm hoping.

Last edited:
Hey Robus, just so I have a little more to work with, do you mind letting me know specifically where I lost your interest/groove in the song? Is it literally the parts I mentioned where the kick is dropped? Should I let the part that has all the instruments together play longer? I'm just curious for a suggestion because when you're working with a song it's sometimes hard to look at it unbiased. Lastly, the bass sound, I believe, works well with this song but I'm thinking of experimenting with a more lo-fi one instead, thoughts?

Anyways, I'm going check to see if you have any threads, because if so, I'd like to help you with your productions as well bro.

TheLurker

I didn't really have any complaints. But I'm not really into the genre, so I can't comment on composition.

I thought the sounds were cool sounding. I thought the song was interesting. A couple of instruments were maybe a bit too loud. But that's about it.

These are purely my own reactions to the composition. Others might respond differently to the music. It starts to lose me about 1:30, when you go from a louder part to a softer part, and then especially about 2:00 where the kick drops out altogether. Often in electronic music you'll have a part with a driving beat that gives way to a more restrained section, then builds again. Whereas here, you have the music dropping, then dropping still more. That, together with the beat falling out, kills the excitement for me.

As dance music, I think you're going to lose the dancers. If it's electronica, as opposed to purely dance music, you have greater latitude.

Again, my subjective reactions.

Last edited:
Thanks TripleM - I think the bass needs turned down a smidge as well as the second synth that comes into the song.

Yeah Robus I agree man... I really do. I think the part that drops is initially fine but it stays there too long and ESPECIALLY the second part where the kick drops is where I'd 100% lose dancers. I will work on it and get a new version up sometime here soonish.

Thanks guys.

I think I'd like to hear the kick more. Once the bass comes in it kind of picks up that missing piece but I think a little more low-end would be good for this kind of song. Not an issue really just kind of a preference I think.

Some really nice and interesting sounds but it doesn't really sit as an whole.
The kick needs some frequency checking. More low end and less of something else (less mid maybe?).

Back