New Cover (Jimmy69, Steenamaroo, polarity)

polarity

I got lots of help on this cover but I would love to hear what else I need to do

https://soundcloud.com/polarity-2/wonderwall

Vocals were me
Steenamaroo did the harmony, glockenspiel, and oboe
Jimmy did this mix but I am recreating it and even trying to make it better =) I'll take any tips you guys have
And my friend Kenny Davis did the guitar.

I got lots of help on this cover but I would love to hear what else I need to do

https://soundcloud.com/polarity-2/wonderwall

Vocals were me
Steenamaroo did the harmony, glockenspiel, and oboe
Jimmy did this mix but I am recreating it and even trying to make it better =) I'll take any tips you guys have
And my friend Kenny Davis did the guitar.

Aw man, don't say I played an Oboe. That's just asking for trouble. :p
It was a string synth in the end anyway. ;)

You told me you couldn't get the strings.. Ahh damn man you turned me into a liar!.. Oh well steeno played whatever the hell it is in there that I can't tell you what it is!

Barely even recognize the original tune. I almost couldn't believe that you guys would have covered such a corny song but this is cool.
The vocals L/R panned gave it a bit of a Beatles feel for a moment.

The chorus is haunting.

I'd be tempted to make the vocal larger with reverb.
The ending was really abrupt.

If this is the kind of acoustic stuff you guys are into, you might like parts of Zakk Wylde's acoustic album "Book of Shadows".

This is definitely the type of stuff I enjoy. I think I just dragged them along for the ride because they are awesome people and wanted to help me out hah.

I will check out Zakk Wylde though.

Thanks for the comments

I dont think the vocals need reverb at all, idk, I like when a vocal sounds kind of intimate and warmer.

Great cover, btw, absolutely great!

String noise and abrupt ending. Only things that sort of threw off my "total listening pleasure" lol.
I would do a little AT in spots myself as it's damn near perfect. Love how you "made it your own" I know I know that's cliche but I have no other reference except AI.
Mix is fine by me - anything different would be subjective IMHO. I think the placement/depth works well to support the vocals.

Took an over-played song and made it listenable. Agree with ido - the string squeak could have been addressed. In a few places its quite loud. Suggest coated strings to your guitarist if he's not using them already. What happened on the end - it cuts off instead of ringing out.

Ohh I see what you guys are saying about the ending, just let it ring out all the way to the fade. I can do that.

The string squeak is strange, that was a new set of elixir strings on a martin guitar. In the guitarists defense he did hear the version I wanted to do, and play/record it in less than 30 minutes. It wasn't until steeno starting adding harmony and such that I really started to hear this come together. Probably could have redone the guitar at that point.

For the AT stuff, I think Jimmy did do some correction on my voice in spots so I think I'm a little artificially enhanced there but not much. Sounds like Jimmy nailed the mix in 1 except for cutting it early =) (Love ya man thanks for helping!!!!)

All in all it was great fun making it. Can't wait to get the next one moving.

Thanks for the kind words everyone

This is a nice mix, nice playing, nice arrangement and good individual performances, especially the guitar. String squeak was not a problem to me - I never even noticed it. It's an acoustic guitar for pity's sake - they squeak when you play them and I like that sound (in moderation).

There was ONE artefact, though! A breath pop at 1:46. Shame. :D

Well done.

The string squeaking is an effect that some people want to have in a specific mix. However I agree that at some points it was slightly too loud and distracted the listener from the main elements of the song. A good workaround to this would be having the guitarist to record an extra track along the rest of the song, but without plucking the strings, simply mimicking left hand movement just to capture the same left hand movement noises, but isolated, and mix them into the track at your pleasure. That way you also have a lot more control over its dynamics.

I am not sure what happened to the ending. Likely I was drinking...

At least my breast implants are still intact. :)

I was told initially that the string sounds, he couldn't find a string so he did an oboe then drowned it in reverb and it gave it a string sound. Apparently somewhere in there though he found an actual stringed instrument and replaced it. I was thinking it was still the oboe but it wasn't.

I thought this was very good. Excellent performances all around.

Some sort of big noise at 1:28. Not sure what it was. Almost like an edit or bad punch.

I thought the harmony vocals could come up a bit.

The guitar sounds fairly well compressed. But there were a few passages here and there that are a bit too quiet.

Thanks TripleM. With the help of these guys I'm getting a bit more confident in my performance. Jimmy and Steeno have been amazing in working with me to help me figure out what I'm doing (or not doing) and helping me get past me irrational fear of letting people hear me singing.

Back