New band/new music

apush

Progress with my old band was very slow and I was very frustrated. I didn't feel I was good enough to "make it". So I quit playing music. That was last winter, and now I have a new band. I guess I'm not very good at quiting either.

It's been a while since I've been on this board and I have good reason. I haven't been in one place long enough to get internet service hooked up. This board has always been good about being honest. So I trust you'll all rip me a new one. Let me know what we need to work on. I'm always looking for new input. Thanks in advance.

Well, here's what I've been up to...I hope you like it.
BTW, I'm the vocalist.

I listened to For What It's Worth. Killer song. The whole band is great. Vocals are VERY good. Only one complaint. The mix is just over compressed. I hear it pump and breathe. Do me a favor, don't give up anymore.

holy HELL!!

SWEEEEET! I suspect some copious usage of the Waves S1... listen to how W - I - D - E those mixes are!! Very mind expanding... also suspect some copious usage of other mind expanding... things here :D :D ;)

Extremely commercial, hard rock... Nice recording... the highs seem just a tad harsh... maybe too much of a shelf boost on the highs... on the order of about 1.5db above 8k?

Very tight. Very tight. Huge mixes. These are keepers!

How, exactly, did you get -- for example... the acoustics to sound "like that" in the outro of "For what it's worth"? (panning, eq, delay, S1 :cool: Gotta be some delay in there...)

Chad

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

that was awesome..ha.

i was thinking to get a crappy recording like mine...that sounds extrememly proooooooooopropropro.

i assume you got a studio..and know whta you're doing....haha.
can i ask, what DO you have? and i DO love that acoustic sound - agreed - how did you get it (mics, placement, etc. too!haha)??

Set Aside is the one I like, I mean they're both great but Set Aside has all these little elements that add up. Very cool.

I think I agree about the highs being too harsh. maybe a bit too much BBE? But it's a good mix without a doubt.
Very professional sounding.....both tunes.

Great sounding tunes

Wow.. it's just simply amazing sounding tunes..
Can u tell us how u achieved such high quality recording? Equipment, signal path etc..

Wow, thanks everyone.

I agree about the highs being a little harsh. The vocals tend to spit a little when I listen to this in the car. But, I didn't record this. My equipment cabinet isn't large enough to come close to a mix like this. My band is in the middle of a production/development deal so the producer flips the bill until he can get us reasonable record deal.

Thanks for the nice comments on the songs. I needed that.

As far as the recording equipment...I'll give a rundown of everything I remember being used.

Vox: U67
Board: (SSL) 4056 G+ with Ultimation
Pro Tools 24 Mix Plus with every plugin known to man
I think our engineer was mixing on some Yamaha NS-10MS, but we always heard playback on the Genelec 1038-A tri-amped actives.

The acoustic was an old Guild. I wasn't there when they tracked so I don't know what mics they used.

There were at least 20 mics on the drums! AT 4047's, sm57's, 421's, a AKG D112, it goes on and on.

Everything else is a mystery. I was in awe of the tracking rooms. HUGE! and beautiful. Very, very pro. I could live there and never leave. Thanks again.
Phil (apush)

Back