New band I am working with

Unless the amp buzz was intentional, I personally don't like it. The track seems to lack definition. I'm thinking maybe just a little too muddy in the 250-500hz range. I like the low end...but I think the guitars could have a little more edge to them at ~4-6k. I don't listen to this style of music, so this may be exactly how it's supposed to sound, but that's my .02

-Joel

Duely noted; I'm not sure how much low fundamental to take out of the guitar. It sucks recording drop tuned guitars because the guitarists ALWAYS insist on having way more bass than they need. It's easy to get around but sometimes it's hard to tell.

Man, I hate this genre. Why is this shit so popular now?

The mix aint that bad. I think it's just that the guitars are a little too loud. Kick is fine, but the rest of the kit can come up some. More snare and toms please. Vocals sound great in the mix. Overall it's pretty good for such an awful song. :D

Man, I hate this genre. Why is this shit so popular now?

hehe .. yeah ... 90% of the bands where i live sound like this. not from St. Louis are ya?

anyway ... yeah - good mix overall. Especially for how un-fun it is to record that kind of a vocalist. The guitars are just a bit muddy, and i don't hear a lot of good definition in the cymbals on the kit. maybe get those two to stop fighting each other or whatever and it'd be nice.

one thing i can say is - its a nice raw-style recording. i like that on this kind of music better than the attempts at overproduction that this kind of music tends to get in my area. good to hear a straightforward approach.

Thanks for the advice brethren; I've made a few alterations to the lower mids of the guitars and did no mainbus compression...That brought the snare up to where I had it mixed. I made the kick quieter so the other drums can breathe a little. I like this mix a lot better. I might wanna do a little bit later on when I give these guys a master, when they round up the cash.

Have a gander!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9543

Oh yeah, I'm from ALMOST southern Florida...Most of the bands around everywhere are screamo/hardcore nowadays. I don't like it much either, but music is music. Gotta love it for pushing air.

Sounds a little better. I still think the drums need to be louder and the guitars reeled in a little. It's like all dry guitar on each side with vox in the middle and the drums buried under all that. There's a lot of nice fills on the toms and stuff. Let's freakin hear em. :)

P.S. - amp buzz not good.

Second mix sounds miles better through my headphones, although they're pretty bass heavy so it's sometimes hard to tell. The instruments sound like they're not fighting for space as much as in the first mix. And the hiss seems to have mostly vanished, which is good. Not a bad drum sound at all, punchy and tight without sounding sampled. The only thing I don't like is the bass guitar - it sounds distorted, whether through clipping or some other cause. Of course that could just be my headphones. Good job though.

band sounds like a heavier version of AFI. interesting. not my cup of tea.

however, the mix sounds good. the drums sound nice, i definately like those. the guitar sounds nice and tight. definatley a good mix!

The bass guitar is kinda distorted because of the bass being tuned to C and being setup for e; the action made almost every fret buzz. It was a challenge to get rid of.

I worked on it a bit listening louder and I think I got a handle on the guitars being too loud. I'm about to take this mix up to a local studio to have a listen and talk to the owner about getting some bands in there for a reduced rate if I'll engineer for cheapies. Wish me luck!

Back