A new alternative rock song?

Stuvenator

Hey guys,

I'm struggling a bit with this song in terms of trying to make the bridge part blend a bit better. I want it to stand out, but when it goes back into the last chorus it kind of dies down. I want the bridge to sound really big and then hopefully make the last chorus sound bigger than the previous ones. Are there some sort of automations I should try? Or any other ideas?

View attachment Out Of The Fire.mp3

Usually, if you want the song to build as it goes you can accomplish some of that with the performance of the musicians: e.g. emote more, play some higher or "bigger" notes. You can also layer more stuff in on top of the existing parts: more harmonies, an extra lead guitar, etc.

In this specific case, I'd recommend having that heavy distorted guitar continue into that last chorus.

That's quite a cool piece actually, some unexpected changes in there.

One thing that stood out immediately is that all the tones are quite dark - can you brighten them (or some of them) up a bit?

I'm with JDOD - except for the cymbals there's nothing happening in the high end, the guitars all sound a little muffled (with the exception of the left one in the bridge) - did you put a (fairly low) lo-pass on them?
If you're not going to put any vocals to this, have one of those heavier guitars from teh bridge play a lead line (melody) during that final chorus.

Yeah I definitely could brighten them up. I just used some EQ presets which wasn't a great idea, but I just use them temporarily usually. The presents cut a lot of the high end. There will be vocals in the final chorus, I thought about doubling the vocal melody with the same guitar sound with octaves, if that sounds bad I'll try to figure out something to fit in. Okay, I will play around with the EQing of the guitars. What do you guys think of the drums?

Yeah I definitely could brighten them up. I just used some EQ presets which wasn't a great idea, but I just use them temporarily usually. The presents cut a lot of the high end. There will be vocals in the final chorus, I thought about doubling the vocal melody with the same guitar sound with octaves, if that sounds bad I'll try to figure out something to fit in. Okay, I will play around with the EQing of the guitars. What do you guys think of the drums?

If you can just re-track the guitars with a better sound rather than doing a huge amount of EQ work, you'll probably find that as you listen to the song more and get to know it more you perform it better anyway.

Hmm, I mean I'm using VST amp racks, so I could just try different effects, and the EQ cuts are pretty big. I could also try just recording from my amp.

Nice tune, some cool changes. I like the tremelo effect on the guitar. Sometimes the easiest way to introduce dynamics is with a volume envelope to contrast the different sections- just bump up the end part by 3 or 4 db

Back