new acoustic song to share. free download :)

danny83

sup guys and gals! i just finished recording a new acoustic song. its on soundclick as a free download for u guys for all these years i've had on this forum with good advice and good people.

let me know what ya think! constructive criticism and comments are always appreciated!

thanks in advance! :)

www.soundclick.com/dannybyrne

song is called 'city by the sea'

Well I don't normally dig on acoustic songs, but there was nothing about this that grated on my nerves, and that might not sound like a compliment but it is. You've got talent, no doubt, and your strength is your lyrics. Wish I could do that. Enjoyed it, man.

Very nice,

There is a meandering guitar that works well in the intro and then gets panned into my left ear when the singing starts, and from there until about 1:20 its only purpose seems to be a distraction to the lyrics. After that it all fits together much better, and then the distraction comes back again toward the end.

i think it could use some dynamic change. you could try to change the melody into almost like a harmonizing part towards the end. I forget where, but when you do that...altered mediant to the 4 chord...it would be good to make your voice a little more intense.

i don't find the other guitar distracting, but for the first few verses it would help to take it off just so there's change happening.

Well I don't normally dig on acoustic songs, but there was nothing about this that grated on my nerves, and that might not sound like a compliment but it is. You've got talent, no doubt, and your strength is your lyrics. Wish I could do that. Enjoyed it, man.

thanks guitarmonkus. this forum is notoriously hard on acoustic music, so i'm glad that you liked the song for what it had to offer. :)

Very nice,

There is a meandering guitar that works well in the intro and then gets panned into my left ear when the singing starts, and from there until about 1:20 its only purpose seems to be a distraction to the lyrics. After that it all fits together much better, and then the distraction comes back again toward the end.

hi tobe. in the process of getting feedback for this song, i have heard that a few times. i went back and edited and turned down some of the overdubbed guitar as to not distract from the lyrics. i think that the song is better because of it. thanks for the suggestion man, that helped alot.

i think it could use some dynamic change. you could try to change the melody into almost like a harmonizing part towards the end. I forget where, but when you do that...altered mediant to the 4 chord...it would be good to make your voice a little more intense.

i don't find the other guitar distracting, but for the first few verses it would help to take it off just so there's change happening.

hi cello pudding, thanks for listening. i took your suggestion into account too and edited some of the overdubs in the first verse. it leaves room for a change into the chorus and a change into the last verse. you're right man, it makes the song a little more dynamically interesting. also, i plan on getting another singer to lay down some harmonies on the chorus and maybe on the verse. hopefully it makes the song more interesting.

thanks for the suggestions!

very nice song. what mic did you use for vocals?

hi sk8a123, thanks for listening and i'm glad you enjoyed it :)

my vocal chain seems to be ever-changing these days. for this particular song, i used a Neumann U-87 vocal mic and a Universal Audio LA-610 pre with the tubes turned up pretty hot to get that creamy distortion, i think it served the song well, but if i had to go back and do it again, i'd probably turn the tubes down a bit. i ran into some muddy bass issues on the vocals that i had to EQ out.

Back