Need suggestions with this mix.

DarrylA

Hi,

First post to these forums - thought there's a lot of talent floating around that might be able to help me with this little query, so here goes. :)

Over the past few days I've been working on a new song. A little backstory - since this time last year I have recorded two albums, both kinda chilled-out guitar and experimental stuff. Both are downloadable, link below.

But I've decided to try my hand at recording something a little heavier, and so I did. The result? '40,000 Skies'. It retains the feel of my quieter work but clearly is totally different in other aspects. I'm happy with the recording standard of most of the track (apart from the very start) but I'm not sure about the mix in the middle. I'm thinking maybe the guitar is a little too loud, or the drums a little too quiet, but perhaps the guitar could do with a little EQing.

The first chorus uses one "lightly" distorted guitar, whereas the second uses a much more heavy sound in addition to the first - one panned slightly left, one panned slightly right. It makes a nice, enveloping sound with a tiny bit of reverb on one. I did two recordings of the first guitar - the second is simply one string to emphasise the note being played. There's also a massively reverbed, haunting guitar sound in the background of the choruses which isn't obtrusive. The final chorus is definitely the most powerful part of the song, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Any suggestions?

Download this song from http://music.unintentional.co.uk/unreleased - or, if you're interested, you can check out the rest of my stuff at http://music.unintentional.co.uk/released .

Cool stuff man-I liked the drums in the opening-how they go through small changes---thought i heard a bit of swirliness on the cymbals-don't know if its an mp3 thing or tracking thing or my ear thing.....The distorted guitar that comes in at ~2:00 is definetely too loud-kind of a piercing tone too-almost hurt....Liked the feedback stuff-I would have verbed it a bit-its on the verge of hurting my ears(again)....The very end could use some cleaning up...All in all a pretty good recording-the drums could probably come up a bit like you said-not sure if I heard a kick drum through most of the song-and the snare and the cymbals could use a little touch of high end eq...IMO.

Stratomaster said:
Cool stuff man-I liked the drums in the opening-how they go through small changes---thought i heard a bit of swirliness on the cymbals-don't know if its an mp3 thing or tracking thing or my ear thing.....The distorted guitar that comes in at ~2:00 is definetely too loud-kind of a piercing tone too-almost hurt....Liked the feedback stuff-I would have verbed it a bit-its on the verge of hurting my ears(again)....The very end could use some cleaning up...All in all a pretty good recording-the drums could probably come up a bit like you said-not sure if I heard a kick drum through most of the song-and the snare and the cymbals could use a little touch of high end eq...IMO.
Thanks for the thoughts - pretty much exactly what I thought when I listened through another stereo today. Snare is far too bassy, I know that for sure.

Thanks again. :)

Back