NEED some help on gettin' this sounding remotely good...

StrictlyB

Hey people, basically made a mix of a track but it just sounds really unpro to me. It just sounds dead and so flat. I have no idea what to do, I've tried EQ and compression, think i'm using it right, but i think it's something else.
Using Cool Edit Pro and a Samson CO1U.

Here's the track and then i uploaded a raw vox track but it's a different song completely. I just wanted you to know how it sounds raw so u can tell me where i'm goin wrong.

MIX:
http://rapidshare.com/files/411461560/Hypnotiq-_Unthinkable_Draft.mp3.html

ACAPELLA:
http://rapidshare.com/files/411461697/Mixdown.wav.html

the mix itself doesn't sound bad to me, but the vox get in the way too much to really say.

on a quick listen, it sounds like a kitchen/bathroom that your singing in. tell me if i'm wrong though.

my best guess is turn the gain down on the mic (when recording) and get closer to it. it sounds like you're a foot away or so.

like i said before, the vocals are too prominent in the mix for me, so tryin bringin them down a bit..

i'm reckoning the above things will make the vocals sound fuller and make them sit in the mix better.

if i'm wrong, tell us about your recording environment and that kinda thing.

im in an office but i just put up some blankets. I guess i could get closer to the mic and turn the gain down, nice idea. But, no effect wise thing icould do for now? It just sounds dry , dont know what it is.

hard to say without knowing your surroundings and stuff, but i would say that the office's natural reverb is the sound that you don't like.

if you're able to find somewhere with a nice reverb that works, or like i said, get nice and close and keep the gain down to try to keep room verb down, then it'll be much easier to decide what needs done next.

u could find that the techniques you're using (eqs and comps) mite 'take better' on a vocal take that has less ambience on it.

ok fair enough. I thought the blanket thign would absorb the sound but guess not. Anyone with Cool Edit, know how to operate delay. I really want that telephone voice delay that a lot of rappers have these days.

by telephone, you mean like lofi bad quality sounding delay?

if so, use a delay plugin with an eq built in (if you have one) and drastically cut off lows and highs on the delay until it sounds right.

or duplicate your vocal track, manually shift the dup forward so the delay timing is right, then use a standard eq to cut away highs and lows.

Back