Need some feedback on everything in this one

grn

Not sure where to begin. I had this vision in my head for this and I never quite got there. Does the vocal sit well? Does it need more air/high end? Are the cymbal crashes too loud? There's a lot of distortion/saturation - is it not too harsh, but not too muddy? Are the guitars and bass balanced? Is the guitar solo too loud? I'm really wide open for criticism on this... anything to make it better.

The feedback in the guitars and the buzzing noises are intentional and some of the timing is a bit sloppy and the hits on the snare are not entirely consistent, but it's rock 'n roll.

View attachment 29 November 2020 - The way that you move (REMIX)_mixdown.mp3

I think it sounds good. Really not a fan of that thin guitar in the intro. It sounds harsh and almost brittle. It sounds fine when the rest of the guitars are playing, though.

Early on I was going to say the snare sounds muffled, but as I listened further it seems ok. I really like the guitars, and especially the feedback. The solo was very nice. The second half of the song sounds and feels much better than the first half - the solo to end. I'm not sure I can quantify that yet.

A very nice song.

That's a pretty cool and interesting tune...Love the way it breaks back into the verse on that beat. I like the discordant guitars. No real thoughts on the mix. It sat well and nothing stuck out or spoiled the listen.

Mark

Yeah, everything sounds nice. Cool tune; I like the juxtaposition of the sections.

Where do you do your recording? Is it all at home? Are you using real drums or samples?

Yeah, everything sounds nice. Cool tune; I like the juxtaposition of the sections.

Where do you do your recording? Is it all at home? Are you using real drums or samples?

For the most part yes, I am recording at home. I did have a few people record parts in their home studios and send them to me. Mostly stringed instruments like slide guitar, dobro, banjo, etc. There were a few other parts that people played, but I recorded those at my place as they were passing through. I played the rest myself. It was very haphazard. I'm using a very old system on Windows XP with very few mics if you can believe it. Mostly a 57 and a Studio Projects B1 condenser. This will be the last project I do like this.

For the drums I happened to have a good friend who I was in a band with in high school come back into town and we communicate well and he happened to have an electronic drum set so I would hash out the parts with him and have him play the electronic kit and trigger the samples. Funnily enough he played bass in the high school band. Sometimes I will layer those samples and sometimes I will go in and tighten up the timing or really whatever it is the song calls for. For the most part I hear it in my head and try to get it as close as possible to that, but he helped me get it down so I didn't have to program it and he gave it a more human feel.

More soon.

I love this. The song is excellent. It's not a typical mix but it really works with the style of the song. Only thing I would say is that the backing vocals are slightly loud for my taste, and for the section after the solo, the drums sound a little too rigid in the timing and dynamics. Excellent tune, great job!

I took everything here into consideration and I think it was all great advice. Thank you for your ears. I EQ'd the kick and snare a touch so they were less murky and muddled (and took the verb down on them a dB). I took a bit of harshness out of the intro guitar and I took the background vocals down a touch as well. Lastly I took some of the master bus compression down and instead sent it to another bus where I essentially used parallel compression and brought that up until I could just barely hear it and then backed it down. I think that helped balance the first half of the song with the second and gave me the energy I was looking for without squashing it further.

View attachment 22 DECEMBER 2020 - The way that you move (REMIX)_mixdown.mp3

If you hear anything else on this latest mix, please let me know as I think I'm a little too close to it and can't be as objective anymore. Not that I could anyway, but I can't hear anything "wrong" now because I've listened to it too many times.

Back