Need some feedback on the balance of this mix

grn

Really need some help here and as many ears on this as possible. This is just an acoustic guitar and vocals so I can't really hide behind any mixing tricks. It was a case of using the demo for the final song because I could never recapture the original performance of this demo. It was sung into an SM7b, which I rarely ever use, and I can't even remember the acoustic mic, but it wasn't recorded in stereo.

How is the balance on the guitar? Muddy? Too much sparkle/harshness? I've been comparing the tone to some others that feel more... balanced in a way, but also more energetic.

As for the vocal is it too loud? Are the background vocals too loud? There's a natural saturation on it (I guess from how haphazardly I set up the vocal chain since it was just a demo, but I'm good with that).

Notice anything else? I'm okay with it sounding a little rough around the edges and I don't want it to be too polished, but any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm about ready to abandon this one and send it off to be mastered, but I just needed one final check.

View attachment The Holy Ghost 22 November 2020 (Remix)_mixdown.mp3

The lead vocal seems a bit loud overall compared to the guitar. The backing vocal also seems too loud in relation to the lead vocal. Some of the backing vocal seems to interfere with the lead at certain points - could probably EQ that or change the harmony. I really like this tune, and your voice is really working in this.

Very cool stuff! I dig this a lot. Really great vocal performance, and the vocal tone is just right as well. The double on the chorus is spot on and sounds great.

My first instinct was that the acoustic guitar sounds a little thin, especially seeing as it's the only accompanying instrument. It bothered me less and less as the song went on, but it did tweak my ear when I first heard it. Other than that, the only real nit I have is the lyric when it says "I got some things I gotta be before I can start a family." The repeated "be" sound in "be" and "before" struck me as a little odd, especially since "before" is accented oddly throughout (with the accent on the wrong syllable). However, if changing it at this point isn't possible, it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

Arrangement-wise, there are a few things I was hoping to hear:

1. I would love to hear a little melodic instrument come in at the interlude after the first chorus. Maybe like a melodica (a la "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away") or organ or something. Just to give it a bit of lift.
2. After the vocal double in the first chorus, I really wanted to hear you sing the chorus with some three-part harmony. I like the counterpart BG vocal part that enters in the second chorus, but I think it would be killer to have the chorus in three-part. Specifically, I was hoping the final chorus would be a capella and harmonized.

Anyway, just my pair of pennies. I really dig the tune, and it sounds great. Thanks for sharing! :)

grn , I really liked this and Liked the rough edges. I think the backing vocals need thinning out and narrowed. They were just too thick and wide and pushed the main vocals away from your attention. I wouldn't re eq the main vocal as it sets well with the acoustic. I think it would sound better with the backing vocal in mono and just barely reinforcing the main making it more like a single guitar /vocal performance , and it definitely was a Very good performance. Great song. mark

Thank you all for taking the time to listen. I really appreciate it. I often struggle with arrangements now that we essentially have unlimited possibilities and time so even if they're artificial, I do like to place some restrictions on myself. So I think for me the time has passed to make any changes to the arrangement (aside from the inevitable ever-evolving live performance of it), but I absolutely agree with this...

...the only real nit I have is the lyric when it says "I got some things I gotta be before I can start a family." The repeated "be" sound in "be" and "before" struck me as a little odd, especially since "before" is accented oddly throughout (with the accent on the wrong syllable).

When I wrote it I debated that line for a couple days (it's for sure clunky), but decided to leave it because I thought I could make up for it in the performance of it.

I have taken the rest of the feedback into consideration thinned out the background vocals, took the panning from 100% down to 25% (except for the bridge where I wanted it to jump out), and turned them down a bit.

Here is the updated mix. View attachment The Holy Ghost 26 November 2020 (Remix)_mixdown.mp3

I felt the guitar in the remix sounded a bit mid heavy and preferred the original thinner version. I dont mind the vox way upfront as you have a good and interesting voice.

Mark

Wow, what a cracking little tune. Not often i'd say this but if that came on the radio i'd be googling the artist straight away and probably buying the album. Fantastic stuff grn. Can find no fault on that second version, get it sent!

Back