Need Some Constructive Feedback Please

savedbygrace

I'm no professional - just do it for fun - would you mind listening to couple of songs. First track is all MIDI - just an instrumental of "The Closer I Get To You" - Second track is MIDI plus some guitars "Rainey Nights In Georgia" (no vocals yet). Equipment: SB 512, Audio Buddy, Roland JV1080, Telecaster, cheap Acoustic - looking for some feedback or ideas - I really enjoy everybody's ideas and suggestions - thanks
http://www.famwebsite.net/music.html

OK...

First tune:
Strings bled together and the drums sounded kinda' cheap. That lead was pretty freaky for this type tune. If you played that all yourself then good job. If you just loaded a MIDI file into your sequencer then you need to work on some original stuff. You can do it ...

Second tune:
See first tune...

The "electric guitar" was way in the back of the mix and totally disapeared on several occasions.

Oh yea... Try placing your songs somewhere so they will stream. Waiting for a download kinda' bites.

See Ya
Dennis

Disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Opinions

Thanks rustyringers - fair and objective suggestions - I did play it all live - you are right, my drums are weak (and boring to me- I try to keep them simple) - just Roland JV1080 drums - could use some work - any suggestions on how to get the guitar "out front"? - I am limited on plugins (just using Cakewalk Home) - I understand I am limited with what I have and can only do so much (again, just a hobby, used to play in the 70's) - also, I will let the friend who put it up on his website to look at the "streaming" part - again thanks for time - I enjoyed your thoughts and will work on them.

I listened to the second song.

Generally pretty nice.

On your question about bringing up the guitar... One thing that seemed strange was that it was plenty loud during the intro, then seemed to fall off once the song kicked in. I'd first answer that question.

Generall suggestions... Compress it. This will make the intro softer and allow you to boost the overall level on the track. Also try gentle EQ boosts. The low mids might work - a boost around 600hz-1000hz - might warm it up. A boost in the highs, 5000hz-7000hz, might brighten it up. These are just suggestions and not meant to be specific recommendations. You'll want to play around with it.

Opinions

Thank you TripleM - good feedback - I do not have any compression but after seeing how many people talk about it I will seek to get a good compression plug-in; Also my eq is from the Cakewalk Home Studio so I'm sure I need a better EQ - if anyone has a good suggestion on the aboe plug-ins I would appreciate it. - Again thanks for your comments for this is all somewhat new to me and with 10 children it is hard to devote the time I'd like to it

I use HS too. I think you should have a compressor somewhere. It might only be a destructive plugin, but I think there should be something there. If you're scared of really screwing something up, you can clone your guitar track and archive the cloned track. That way you'd always have something to go back to.

I use Cakewalk's EQ too, and I'd be interested in what other people would recommend for a good DXi EQ plugin. I'd be interested in something that's JUST EQ (not a bunch of other junk I wouldn't use) in the under-$100 range. Now if someone would recommend something slightly more expensive and tell me it has significantly better sound, I'd listen...

Anyone?

P.S., I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but it sounded like you were interested in this.

Back