Need Mixing tips

SS454

These are some songs i recently finished. I always welcome input and like to learn new techniques for mixing COuld you listen to my songs and tell me what you think?

www.nowhereradio.com/nick

Just click on "Discography" then "Singles"

Thank you for your time.

I listened to a couple. On A Cold Grey Day- Great tune. I like the guitar tone. Well played and recorded. Vocal is good too. The mix of the guitars, bass and keys are fine but the drums are too wimpy for this style of song. Just my humble opinion my friend ut I'd look for a different kick and snare and mix them a little more forward to drive the tune harder.
On The Rag Again- The title got my morbid curiosity going and I had to listen. You warped little fucker, I spit coffee all over the front of my monitor and keyboard.:D I can really relate to this one and it's possible that this one could become our national anthem.
Stick around my friend, you'll fit in nicely here.

Thanks so much for the review and the compliment. I think you're definately right about the drums. I live in Hawaii and cannot find a drummer to save my life. Most of the music here is reggae or pop, and no one is interested. Oh well, I'll keep looking. But Anyway, Thanks for your time. Mahalo

Oh yeah, do you think it would be possible to get a halfway decent drum recording with 2 AKG C3000s as overheads and a couple of 57s for snare and toms? These are the only mics I have access to.

Definately yes. I've used C-3000's for overheads in the past and while it's not the weapon of choice for this task, it'll do a very good job. Now I use them on floor toms all the time and I feel they work VERY well there. The thing with C-3000's is they're a little harsh on the top end so you have to be carefull with placement or the cymbals will take the top of your head off. And no matter where you live it can be like getting a root canal finding other musicians that are on the same page as you AND that can actually play. I feel your pain.

Holy Perfect

Okay, I've only listened to one so far ("On The Rag Again"), and I'll just say that Willie would be proud!!!

I'll catch the others in a bit.

Funny stuff,
Chris

I listened to Mud, Blood, etc...

I dig the song a lot. Reminds me of "BAD RELIGION," in a good way.

Needs a lot more bass, in my opinion. My skull's not cracking at all, and it should be with this tune.

Thanks,
Chris

heard "incorruptable"..?..that right?....
like this alot....nice songwriting ..but i agree w/ chris ..on the "no ass behind it"...this needs to THUMP...right now it sorta just bumps...lol...but a very cool song nonetheless....and anytime you can incorporate foul language..AND...cool driving rythems like this is a very good thing.......scream some of this!!!!.....cool .

thanks
jamal

I listened to On a cold day and incorruptable. I like the songs. I agree with the others that the bottom end needs to be heavier. Great rhythm guitar tone and I normally dont like much punk, but with the way you did your vocals I like it.The Vocals are good. I like how you mixed them. I wish I could mix mine that well.

Yeah I listened to On the rag again and Laughed my ass off the whole time. After experiencing these things for years, I can laugh about it now......cause it aint funny when your goin thru it....
Myx

Yeah, Everybody can relate to "On the rag again" ....unfortunately. Right on for the helpful tips. I recently bought a 421 and used that on the bass for Mud, blood and bones It seemed to work nicely for the bass, But all the other songs were recorded with a 57 and a C3000 ,... I think. Anyway, they are kind of lacking in the "driving beat " dept. If I could find a drummer, I would gladly throw down 100 bucks or so to get him to do the drum tracks. I think thats what I'm going to have to do.
Thank you for the tips.

Listened to everything, good stuff. There definitely needs to be some bottom end punch, it's just not there. And bring out the kick and snare, again punch. Beyond that I thought it sounded good, tight. Nice job so far, keep it up! :D

How can you pass up a song with a title like "On the Rag Again." Very funny stuff. I'm sure somewhere Willie is laughing. I wished it was longer.

On A Cold Grey Day

Hello SS454,

I meet this type of modern punk occasionally in different forums and this is difinitely of the better ones.
The overall performance is extremely precise and tight, very melodic and spell-binding. The lead in the end is very effective and tasteful.
Although the arrangement is quite simple, it appears to be prepared very thoroughly.

Like others have mentioned, the drums are a bit thin in the low freq's, but that's a minor issue, really.
I'm not that much into punk myself, but I'm very impressed by this one.

Thanks for your input Erik O. I'm glad you like it. I have decided to re-record all of the songs. with a drummer. I think that will take care of the issues that have come up on the other song. I'll probably be asking for everyones ideas when I start recording drums. Much Mahalos, Nick

Back