Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need mixing criticisms

Thanks

need mixing criticisms

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm doing some mixing for a friend. I feel like I'm getting some traction, and he likes the mixes so far, but there's nothing like the cold uncaring clinical scalpel of you HR folks

Here's one of the songs:

http://www.recursor.net/Easy1176andkick.mp3

I just started using a hardware compressor and I think I got a little too trigger-happy on the lead vox track. Other than that, I'm kind of stuck and so I'm looking for suggestions. The kick is fake - if you can totally tell, let me know. I can do a real kick if I need to.

If you have song or performance comments, they're wasted on me, but I can pass them along.

Thanks
    I'd like a de esser on ch and ss.
    The main vox sit well above the rest of the track but that does seem to suit it.

Thanks
    You should try to reduce the vocal compression just to see if it brings some life back into the vocals. The vocals sounded good, I think they are too forward. I would keep them forward, but bring them down a bit. Kick could probably use a reduction or compression. If you change those, re-post and lets give another listen.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks
    I like hard compressed vocals so this is okay with me. My only criticism of the vocal track is that it seems a little dry and too up front during the more subdued parts. A little automation or volume enveloping would be good there IMO. The kick seems fine to me for the song. The centered kick and hard panned snare is weird though. Maybe it's the drummer or the drum mixer in me but having those two pieces so far apart in the stereo field drives me a little crazy. The instrumentation sounds fantastic.

Thanks
    awesome guys - very useful comments. I will post another mix soon.

Thanks
    Loved the song. I am hungover as hell today, I just put that on and closed my eyes, it was quite enjoyable. There were a few spots where it sound like he hit the microphone though, I would definitely fix those / re-record. I like the kick a lot, personally I wouldn't touch it. I want to hear what it would sound like if the snare had some body. To me it sounds like a toy drum. It still works, but I wonder what it would sound like with a fuller snare. I do think the vocal needs a touch of verb or something to give it some space.

Thanks
    listening on my new neumann kh120 speakers, the lead vocals sound a bit too forward and way too dynamic, it also lacks character, and could do with some more brutal EQ to boost the 2.5kHz area, and also the air frequencies, then automate it so it's quieter in the intro and louder in the chorus. Add a lot more reverb too, it really needs it, get a long warm plate verb in there, it will give it more depth I think.

Thanks
    Hey, sounds generally nice... but there's a few specific things that stick out for me.

1. The hard panned snare sounds a bit offputting in headphones (IMO) and I also think it needs a bit more body
    2. "This" at 0.48 jumps out a bit much
    3."Friend at 2.17 & 2.20 just disappears
    4. At about the same spot the acoustic guitar gets way too soft for my liking as well.

Nice tune though and I think you're pretty close.

Thanks
    wow - thanks some more - I got a new rack case for christmas (a little early) and I'm moving everything over so it's slowing me down. Which is good - I'll be able to do more to the next mix thanks to your comments.

Re-tracking is definitely an option - I'm going to try to fix it in the mix first, though, because I'm selfish and I'm making this all about me.

Thanks
    Just like everyone else I thought the vocals jumped out in the beginning, but I felt like the guitars were to far back in the beginning of the mix. I feel like if you bring them up some it would even things out more. Other than that I think you are doing a great job. Definitely better than any of my mixes.
    I'm not afraid of water. It's soap I don't like!

Thread Information